Cleats or not?

Options
I've signed up for my first sprint duathlon. I've been thinking its probably not worth swapping shoes for a short distance? The ride is only 10km (6.2 miles). I tried flats today and seemed to ride the same. Has anyone else done some sprint duathlons and worn cleats or just went with flat pedals? I am thinking i'll be best wearing them for the last event which is 20km as that's about 35 mins of riding for me.

Edited to add. I am looking at finishing in the top 5 if not 1st would be awesome. However it is my first duathlon so i don't really know how its going to go :)

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd think that clipless pedals would be more efficient (up and down stroke), and if you are able to do flying mounts/dismounts it shouldn't take too much time. That said if you don't see a difference just leave whatever you have on the bike on the bike.
  • cwsikes
    Options
    Did you actually try riding intensely? It's going to be a race so you will be pushing hard, and I know at least when I push hard I need to be able to both push down AND pull up so I need cleats.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint du using running shoes for the whole event, it made the transitions a breeze. Since then I've used clipless pedals and found that I more than make up for the time in transition with a faster ride (but that's also with a 20km ride......) for a 10km ride it may not make a real difference.