Are macros important? Struggling with protein vs fat & carbs

Options
monicuza
monicuza Posts: 14 Member
Hello all,

I've been reading a lot about the idea of eating more to weigh less and I'm giving it a go. I only have about 3 kg to lose and have been struggling to do so for over 6 months. I simply want to teach my body to maintain once I reach my goal.

I'm eating approx .1600-1700 calls but I struggle to balance protein on one hand vs fat and carbs on the other. I can never seem to get enough protein but I always go over on fat and carbs.

My stats are: female, 35 yrs
Height: 166 cm
Weight: 63.5
Body fat: 23%
Exercise: v light, 1-3 hrs/week cardio (mainly walking)

My TDEE is 1960. I set my MFP at 1634 (TDEE -15%, 1-3 hrs light exercise/wk), protein at 30%, fat at 30% and carbs at 40%.

However, I simply cannot get the protein without the fat. I would like to avoid protein shakes (I am not convinced they are good for you). And there's only that much fat free natural yoghurt I can eat:)

If you have any advice, please share.

Thank you:)

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert,but the 3 that comes to mind for protein/low fat is chicken,Skim milk & eggs. I'm sure other ppl will have more to add. BTW,I do keep a container of whey protein powder for emergencies.......times when I am way low or need to eat before I leave for the day. Usually I have a shake less than once a wk.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't focus so much on the percentage of protein I get, but I figure out how much I should be eating by calculating how much lean muscle mass I have (there are calculators online that can guess that) and eat about 1 g/kg of lean mass. For me that comes to right about 25%. Also want to let you know that fat is GOOD for you!!! Load up! My macros look like this: 25% protein, 30% carbs (just upped them from 25%), and 45% fat. Whole fat products are very filling and much better and healthier than their lower fat counterparts. Think coconut oil, REAL butter, avocados, EVOO, eggs....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Macros won't be as important as calories with only 3 kg to go.

And the less to lose, the room for error and still getting results.

So you should only be going for 10% deficit at this point, otherwise you risk the body being too stressed and fighting you for fat loss.

Sure about that activity level, or trying to play it safe?
    Lightly Active is a 40 hr sedentary desk job with long commute, but 1-3 hrs weekly of exercise, otherwise bump on a log rest of the time nights and weekends.

This close to goal, need to come in from the high side, you likely won't have much success trying to come up from the low side.

Also, protein based on weight is much better, giving more for carbs and fat as mentioned. Since you know your LBM, you need 2 g per kg of LBM.
  • monicuza
    monicuza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much:)