Help...need to eat more. Also, new friends!

Options
Hi all,

So I've just moved to a new town in a new state to start a new job. I'm getting back to Primal eating after, well...not being "off the bandwagon," exactly, but after a good few months of definitely more 60/40 than 90/10. I'm using MFP because I'm kind of geeky about this...I really like to keep good data and analyze it all.

My target calorie goal is 1200 by default MFP settings, but I've pretty much been ignoring it. Well, after a week I've realized (and as a friend pointed out), I'm barely netting 800 kcal/day. And I'm fairly active...I do Taekwondo and cycling and lift weights on occasion. I really have almost no appetite lately, maybe due to a slight cold I'm fighting off...but still, I definitely need to eat more.

SO, my question is two-fold: first, what do you all do for bulking up the calories? I already cook with butter and coconut oil and put it in everything from coffee to kale. Second, I used to do a lot of smoothies with eggs, kale, berries, coconut oil, and coconut milk. But my access to farm-fresh pasture-raised eggs is slightly diminished as of late, so can anyone recommend a Primal-ish protein powder that I can use when I'm running low?

On the upside, I did find a nice little store in town that operates kind of like a farm-share...I can get local pasture-raised meats for some really decent prices there.

Lastly, since I'm new here, if you're looking for new friends please add me! Love to find other primal/pale people, and especially get new ideas from food diaries.

~Pollux

Replies

• GrokRockStarWECHANGED
    Options
    I'm not in to protein shakes anymore, but when I was, I used Jay Robb. I believe it to be the closest to being Paleo friendly with no artificial junk and sweetened with Stevia. As far as your cals, 800 is way too low. I don't exercise at all and consume about 1400 cals. Once I start up with the exercise, I'll definitely have to add more cals. Best of luck and I'll forward a friends request. I eat the same foods everyday, but you can check out my diary, which is open to my friends.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein powder anymore either, but I do buy Dr. Mercola Miracle Whey Original (unflavoured) for my child's smoothies. It's from grass-fed cows. It only contains cold processed whey protein concentrate (better than isolate) and sunflower lecithin. Expensive but worth it.

I find it easy to eat enough. Everything I eat is nutrient dense, high fat. Any vegetables that I eat are smothered in healthy fats. I tend to favour high fat meats, for health and flavour. I eat nuts which certainly have lots of calories and a great macro profile. Raw macadamias are the best. My Bulletproof coffees add lots of calories. Yum.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to food selection. If you're avoiding fats and trying to go paleo/primal, it will be a struggle. Mix in some higher fat meats and using healthy fats in your cooking. For example, I cooked bacon for breakfast and used the fat from that to cook liver and onions for lunch.

I also throw in protein powder (Dr. Mercola's unflavored) with coconut water and organic cocao as a post workout drink. It is only about 260 total calories, so not about calories, but more for the quick protein.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So I've just moved to a new town in a new state to start a new job. I'm getting back to Primal eating after, well...not being "off the bandwagon," exactly, but after a good few months of definitely more 60/40 than 90/10. I'm using MFP because I'm kind of geeky about this...I really like to keep good data and analyze it all.

My target calorie goal is 1200 by default MFP settings, but I've pretty much been ignoring it. Well, after a week I've realized (and as a friend pointed out), I'm barely netting 800 kcal/day. And I'm fairly active...I do Taekwondo and cycling and lift weights on occasion. I really have almost no appetite lately, maybe due to a slight cold I'm fighting off...but still, I definitely need to eat more.

SO, my question is two-fold: first, what do you all do for bulking up the calories? I already cook with butter and coconut oil and put it in everything from coffee to kale. Second, I used to do a lot of smoothies with eggs, kale, berries, coconut oil, and coconut milk. But my access to farm-fresh pasture-raised eggs is slightly diminished as of late, so can anyone recommend a Primal-ish protein powder that I can use when I'm running low?

On the upside, I did find a nice little store in town that operates kind of like a farm-share...I can get local pasture-raised meats for some really decent prices there.

Lastly, since I'm new here, if you're looking for new friends please add me! Love to find other primal/pale people, and especially get new ideas from food diaries.

~Pollux

1. Besides what you mentioned about adding butter/coconut oil, fattier meats (beef, pork, etc) boosts up calories, adding some nuts, cheese (if you do dairy), avocado; eat some snacks - coconut butter, nut butters, etc. Also, surprised no one has mentioned it: FAT BOMBS. Oh, and organ meats!
    2. I've used Jay Robb recently - he has a whey powder, as well as an egg white powder. I like both - but the egg white one I didn't like fruit blended in. I've also read recently about adding unflavored gelatin - it adds some protein, but it's flavorless (powder). But haven't tried it, yet. But I'm looking more to use it to see if it helps a bad shoulder I've got (glucosamine is made from shellfish, which I'm allergic to). Hit both at the same time - I've made fat bombs and added protein powder for a snack/meal on the road!