Period return?

Options

Replies

• ecoforestry
    ecoforestry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to MFP but am breastfeeding my 2 year old and trying to loose weight. I have 3 daughters. My periods came back when they slept all night without nursing, but that wasn't until almost 2 years old for my girls. The first two times, I got pregnant again on my first cycle, with natural spacing of 2.75 years between my girls. This time we are using birth control because, sadly, I do not want to get pregnant again.
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I got mine last month at 11months PP. I'm supposed to be getting it (like yesterday),but i don't feel like it's coming?!

With my first born,i didn't get it back until 13 month PP and I had already stopped BF him at 9 months.

I definitely think everyone and every body is SO different.
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I lost a little bit more (more than my previously non-existent loss that is) after I got my TOM. But, also, I think I just got a little more serious about tracking/exercising. The thing about TOM (just to warn you) is that your milk production drops a little bit (at least mine does). I find myself stressing out, like "OH NO! I SHALL NEVER PRODUCE ENOUGH MILK TO FEED MY SON! AND HE SHALL STARVE TO DEATH OR BE FORCED TO DRINK THE DEVIL'S POISON." (I can carry a fairly dramatic interior monologue.) And then TOM goes away, and all is fine again.

You crack me up Jennnay. :laugh:
  • graycalico
    graycalico Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My ds was almost 1 when I got mine back. I'm hoping it will stay away that long this time too. I've only had two periods in almost three years. Woohoo! Lol
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    You crack me up Jennnay. :laugh:

Did anyone else read that in a Forrest Gump voice?:tongue:
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned before my period return seem to be associated with the no or very limited night time BFing. I EBF both kids until 6 months when I started to supplement with solids, and never pumped or gave formula.
    With my son my period returned around 9 months pp, and he was down to 1 feeding a night by then and kept it that way. My period became clockwork regular immediately.

Now my girl is very different stry. She slept though the night without any feeding from 3 .5 months, and my period returned a bit more than a month later. She started teething around that time, and went back 3-4-5 night feeds. Low and behold I missed a period , which never happened to me in my entire life except when preggo. The teething went away and she slept better after a month or so, and I got a period again when she was 7 mths old. She started teething again and waking up and want to be feed frequently at night , and I missed an other period last month. She is 9 months old right now , and nothing again. We are working hard on improving her sleeping habits , and the last few nights I only feed her twice during the night . If I can keep this low at night, I might get a period again in a month. It is rather annoying.

For me weight loss totally correlated to my period and BFing.

After the initial loss, my weight stalled until I got my period back. When I got back my period with my son, it started to come off extremely slowly. Once I finished BF at age 2 , the weight started to come off at a normal pace.
    Now with my girl, again total plateau after the initial loss for months. Around the time I gt my first period I lost a few lb all the sudden. The month after that no perid, no weight loss. Then my perid come again and I lost a few lb again. Then no period again and for 3 weeks in a row the scale showed the exact same freaking number. During this entire time, I ate at the same deficit level.
    So yeah, the whole calorie in/ calorie out theory is a total BS. The whole weight issue is hormonal.
    I personally I WANT MY PERIOD. TOM maybe a bi@ tch, but at least I can lose weight.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I wish all my wish would be fulfilled so quickly. Today i got my period and the scale showed 1 lb loss after a month plateau. :D YAY. Plus I always drop 1-2 lb after aunt flo goes away , so hopefully I drop another couple of lbs this month. My next wish is to stay regular from now on.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It's offical ... My period has returned LOL after 9m of pregnancy and 18m of BFing Yeah I was really wasn't missing it!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone who hadn't seen AF yet had any updates!

We are 7.5 months out, and there's still no sign of her. I BF 5-6x/day (usually 5, but sometimes 6, and if he wakes up during the night, possibly 7) and feed solids, and pumping is a real rarity mostly because it's a total pain to do.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I got my first "period" around 6/7 months. But it was really light and I didn't have any other normal symptoms except for light bleeding. I have gotten maybe 3-4 more of these at 13 months pp. I am afraid my first real period is going to be terrible. I imagine it's coming soon, as I am pumping 3xs a day now and thinking about dropping again soon.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm almost six months out and nothing yet. Like you, I've felt sometimes like it may be coming, but nothing. BFing and just starting on some solids now.
  • prplrose33
    prplrose33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Mine returned at 6 months PP and it was horrible! Now I get them like clockwork. :( I was so loving not having it every month and what really sucks is that when I ovulate my nipples hurt sooooo bad. Every time I nurse her for about 2 days I cringe. I don't remember that happening with my first kiddo, but man oh man it feels like I am nursing a newborn with a bad latch. From what I have been reading it is completely normal because of the hormone changes. :(
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Mine returned at 11.5 months PP and it sucks. My first two were incredibly/abnormally heavy, but relatively pain free (just one dose of ibuprofen on days 1-2 for cramps). The third... wow. Back to the God-awful, super painful pre-pregnancy periods I was used to. No joke - if the worst labour contraction I felt was a 10/10, my period pain is easily a 7/10. I said to DH a few years ago that my periods were so bad that I bet the pain was comparable to labour, and now I know it's true! :sad:
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    18 months with my first and 19 months with this one
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    About 6 months with both my 1st and 2nd. I was EBF both until starting to add solids at 6 mos for 1st and 7 mos for 2nd. I breastfed #1 for 18 months and period was fairly light, though regular, until I got pregnant again when she was about 15 months. Never believe anyone who tells you that you won't get pregnant while breastfeeding (possible even before your period returns). When my period returned with #2 it was very, very heavy, and has remained that way - regular but heavy. I am still feeding #2 a few times a day at 19 months, and she shows no interest in stopping, which is fine by me.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    About 6 months with both my 1st and 2nd. I was EBF both until starting to add solids at 6 mos for 1st and 7 mos for 2nd. I breastfed #1 for 18 months and period was fairly light, though regular, until I got pregnant again when she was about 15 months. Never believe anyone who tells you that you won't get pregnant while breastfeeding (possible even before your period returns). When my period returned with #2 it was very, very heavy, and has remained that way - regular but heavy. I am still feeding #2 a few times a day at 19 months, and she shows no interest in stopping, which is fine by me.

From what I understand, there are some guidelines to use re: BFing as birth control. The biggies are no returned period, baby is not yet 6 months old, and baby is EBF (essentially no solids).

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

ETA that WOW, that link has a lot of info about period return, too! Average for "ecological" BFing is over 14 months!
  • SHardee13
    Options
    Im breastfeeding my fifth child (20 months) as much and as often as she wants. Which is all day and all night, as I'm blessed to be a SAHM. I've breastfed all of my children from 18 mos to 4 yrs in duration. I'm actually, currently tandem nursing my 3 (almost 4) y/o DD2 and DD3. My older one only nurses about 5 minutes at bedtime. My pp cycles have returned anywhere from 9 mos to 2.5 years with no hormonal bc figuring into that. SO had the Big V, so no bc here....ever!!!! Lol. Currently, no AF in my life or on the horizon (hooray!). I bedshare with my girls, so LO nurses frequently and we are content.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Ok, here is my SUPER TMI follow-up question:

Before you got your period again, did you have weird discharge beforehand?

Late last week and into the weekend I had a lot of clear/whitish discharge to the point where I felt kind of gross and wet down there even though I wore pantiliners. It was similar to the discharge I had during my pregnancy. I don't know if it compares to my normal ovulation CM because I never paid much attention to that. I've been so dry otherwise that I found it surprising. I can't compare to my first pp experience because my period returned so quickly that I had very little time between the end of pp bleeding and my first pp period (maybe 7 weeks), so I don't recall any differences.

Just wondering if this is a sign that my hormones are shifting. In new developments, I'm regaining my sex drive, so there's that :drinker:
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ok, here is my SUPER TMI follow-up question:

Before you got your period again, did you have weird discharge beforehand?

Late last week and into the weekend I had a lot of clear/whitish discharge to the point where I felt kind of gross and wet down there even though I wore pantiliners. It was similar to the discharge I had during my pregnancy. I don't know if it compares to my normal ovulation CM because I never paid much attention to that. I've been so dry otherwise that I found it surprising. I can't compare to my first pp experience because my period returned so quickly that I had very little time between the end of pp bleeding and my first pp period (maybe 7 weeks), so I don't recall any differences.

Just wondering if this is a sign that my hormones are shifting. In new developments, I'm regaining my sex drive, so there's that :drinker:

For me, the ovulation CM was kind of sticky. I'm guessing that even if that wasn't what it was, that things are starting to change for you.

I'm 5.5 month PP, no period in sight, but I'm also BF'ing almost exclusively (just starting to play around with solids) - DS has only gone 6+ hours between nursing sessions once or twice. I'm also on the mini pill, so I'm not sure how that affects things.
  • ladydeee
    ladydeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I got mine 12 days after I stopped bf. LO was 15 months old.