Just started and have sore lower back

Options
HI there all,
I have just started Nrol4w, I did Workout A on Friday and have done B this morning (Monday). The problem is, I stupidly did a bit of digging on my allotment on Friday afternoon and very slightly pulled my back. Thought nothing of it but did CX worx class (a core exercise class) this morning, then did Workout B and my back feels a little bit worse. I am sure it will feel much better in the morning. Did anybody else experience any lower back soreness in the first few weeks?
I am not sure whether to rest up for a week or so and then start again or carry on but space the workouts out a bit more (two allow two recovery days between), any thoughts?

Replies

• carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    When I first started DLing, I had some lower back soreness.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,957 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, my memory goes the other way - I had some lower back issues/hip issues heading into my early-lifting days. And, it was easing into lifting (with PLENTY O' STRETCHING everyday) that has eliminated these issues, completely.

My worry is that you have a problem with "form" on one move (or more than one move). Meaning: you are using your back when, likely, you should be using glutes, or some other muscle, instead.

Take an extra day of rest. Use a roller to really roll out the "sore" area. Drop your weights back a bit when you head back into the weight room.

Report back.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree with Beeps. Watch yourself in a mirror or get a trainer who can critique your form. And maybe lighten the weights. I had hip and lower back issues before starting phase 1 and they have gotten a lot better! And stretching is VERY important, too!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had some muscle soreness in my back from squats and DLs at first. I agree with what's been said already- stay at the same weight or back down, and get a buddy or a mirror to watch your form. I feel like such a dork working out in front of a mirror, but my form gets all out of whack if I don't watch myself. It's worth it in the end.
  • nualacharlie
    nualacharlie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply's,
    Will definitely take your advice on dropping back the weight and taking an extra recovery day (or two) this week. Not sure if there are any mirrors in the gym but guess I can always get brave and ask one of the gym staff to check.my form (I am probably too cheap to pay for a PT) . ( I guess I could practice at home with baked bean tins instead of dumbells ;))

Ironically I was careful with the dead lifts but my form probably slipped on the dumbell shoulder press, as I can remember feeling it in my back then. Then I probably over stretched in the sauna afterwards.

Just out of curiosity, which stretches have you guys been doing post workout (and every day)?
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Lower back stretches.

http://subdude-site.com/WebPages_Local/RefInfo/StretchExerciseEtc/Andersons/Images/stretches4_lowerback_1thru9.gif

I do number 2 and 7, 8 and 9. On 9, I grab my ankle with my right hand and pull both ankle and knee toward my chest as far as comfortable. You shouldn't do static stretches like these without a little body movement first. So, if you do them on your non-lifting days, be sure to warm up or do some other activity first.

I spent 6 weeks in bed in April from hurting my back, so my strong advice is DON'T do a bending stretch to stretch your back, standing or sitting. Always lie down to stretch it.