First time trying this

Options
Hi everyone!

Well I've been reading on and off for awhile about BMR and TDEE. I have tried a few things in the past.. low carb, no grains, low/no sugar, calorie counting, etc. So I haven't really stuck to one thing, except for a week I cycled my calories at 1500 calories one day, and 1800 calories the next. I decided just to give this a try, as it is something I haven't tried before and actually seems to make sense. I can't really lose weight eating 1200 calories a day, and think it's really stupid to eat so low in calories when I don't expect to eat that way once I reach goal. Plus, I noticed that even though I have much to lose, I can't lose any weight eating that low.

I am focusing on cardio 5-6 days a week for an hour a day, and I'm also introducing strength training this week. I upped my calories to 1800 a day starting today, but wondering if I should up it to 2000. I think with looking at the different calculators, it just confuses me. Here is what is according to Scooby's calculator:

BMR: 1622
TDEE: 2577

As of this morning, I weighed 194lbs (mostly water/salt weight from the last few days). I'm 64 inches, and 28 years old. I do know I will be restricting my carbs/sugar still as I feel my best when I do so. I have a lot of allergies, rhinitus and sleep apnea, and noticed restricting carbs and upping my healthy fat intake has done wonders for me, so I'm still going to keep my eye on that.

Any advice would be appreciated! Also, feel free to add me for encouragement.

My long term goal is 130lbs, and my short term goal is to first pass army tape, and then get under 154lbs. I'm going back into the Army Reserves and have to be 154lbs for my age/HT/gender, or at least 34% bodyfat. In the last month alone, I reduced my bodyfat by 13% according to the army tape. So, I still have a lot to lose, but I only have 10% to reduce to pass my tape. I'm also trying to compete in the Spring 2014 college semester for a ROTC scholarship. I have to pass weight, and my army PT test every month once I start competing.

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Since it sounds like your dieting history has sort of been all over the place (low carb, no grains, low/no sugar, calorie cycling...), it sounds like you could really benefit from a reset. If I were you, I would commit to eating at TDEE for 8 - 12 weeks. This will sort of "train" your metabolism of what "normal" is --- that way when you take a cut, your body will actually see it as a cut and not just another fluctuation. Consistency is key... Also, EM2WL recommends no more than a 15% cut, so even at cut, you would be eating 2,190.

Congrats on introducing the weight training! That is when I began to see the biggest change in my body shape. Once you start the weights, you may want to back off on the cardio... 5 - 6 hours of cardio is a lot. When you are weight training, you want to give your body time to recover between workouts.

Feel free to add me if you would like support along the way. Oh, and remember, once you start your weight training, and if you do decrease your cardio, make sure you re-calculate your TDEE using these new numbers...
  • LisaOnAMission007
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

Well I've only really been trying the other stuff out the last three weeks prior to, so I don't think a reset would really be for me. Because I'm in the Army Reserves, or at least waiting for it to be "official," I can't risk a gain on the scale right now. I'm already in a tight position where a commander may not accept me as it is unless I drop another 8-10% of my weight.

I did about 1835 calories yesterday, so, I could try upping them to 2000 today. I still watch my carbs/sugar, so I'm sure I could find creative ways to up the calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do the lower carb thing, then you gotta back off the cardio, unless you keep it to the fat-burning HR zone level.

You aren't going to take in enough carbs to power a high carb-burning cardio workout, and trying to convert excess protein to carbs is stressful and slow on the body.
    That level will also train the body to burn fat sooner and bigger ratio of it.

But it would be better to drop 3 sessions of cardio and do strength training with good strong progressive overload, then only 2 days do that level of cardio.

You'll have to change your TDEE estimate probably, as 1 hr of lifting doesn't burn as much as 1 hr of cardio.
  • LisaOnAMission007
    Options
    I keep the cardio more on a lower impact side right now. 30 minutes elliptical, and 30 minutes walking on the treadmill at various inclines. At some point, I may reduce it down to 30 minutes and focus on some high interval training. I remember once many years ago when I was at a lower weight, and once I reduced my cardio from 60 minutes to 30-45 minutes of high interval training, tweaked the carbs/sugar in my diet, as well as the fat/protein, that's when I truly saw loses visibly with lots of inches lost, and even on the scale. Before that, it was weeks of madness.

For lifting, I really only do the basic machines right now. That's about 10 minutes of time for me since I alternate my days on what I work on. I am hoping to start my Les Mills Pump DVDs in a few weeks, and depending on the work out video, it's 20-55 minutes long. :) I'd start sooner rather than later, but my work out room will be used by a house guest for 2 weeks. :*(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The reason the HIIT worked is because you imitated a lifting session with cardio exercise. It doesn't do it as well as true lifting, but if you really just want cardio and no lifting, it's as close as you'll get.

But if you have the means for true lifting, skip the HIIT and really just do what gives the best results for an all out anaerobic push.

Plus HIIT uses more carbs during the workout than lifting, so still stressful on a body getting low carb meals.

You can get a good workout on machines, just make sure you are about to lose good form on last rep of last set.. Biggest muscles first. It deserves more time though for the effects it'll have on the body.

Can't startle the house quest at 6:30 am with DVD playing and you jumping on the bed. What a wake up call!