New Here and Could Use Some Help

Options
Hello! I'm new to the FODMAPS diet and had a few questions. It's a bit overwhelming trying to figure out all the spices that I can and cannot have. For instance, onions and garlic are a big no. Even onion powder (not sure about garlic powder) which is in everything. Everything. How do you spice up or marinate your chicken and fish? Red pepper flakes are out. Chili pepper is in. What about Chipotle? It seems that only chives, ginger, coriander, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, lemongrass, chili, mint, parsley, and marjoram are okay. What about low sodium soy sauce? Red cooking wine? I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can marinate chicken breast in. My doctor also wants me off of gluten. I'm not so bothered by the gluten part as I am the IBS friendly foods. I can't have raw almonds, corn, broccoli, or cauliflower either. I'm really not sure how I can do this. I know I need to though. I cannot take the bloating anymore. I'm willing to try anything to alleviate it. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks! Lori

Replies

• alexandra_anne
    alexandra_anne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori, I have been on the FODMAP diet for a yea now after seeking a nutritionists advice. My only hope! It is really overwhelming but definitely stick with it because it is life changing!

So here's my advice: stay clear of anything involving onion and garlic especially powders. You need to check labels carefully for onion/garlic powders as a lot of it are in food items.

Buy Garlic Infused Oil - it must be infused only. This is fine for fodmap people. It adds the flavour you're wanting without the problems!

Most dried spices are fine. Avoid anything thats in liquid like chipotle unless you're willing to make it from scratch! Most spiced sauces will have onion, garlic, wheat, glucose, fructose etc which is bad.

Soy sauce is fine for me personally but in low quantities. Limit your intake and don't have it everyday. Otherwise it builds up in the system and causes an ibs reaction.

Red cooking wine should be absolutely fine. It hasn't bothered me but double check with either a nutritionist or online food lists.

Find alternative veg - I love brocoli but instead I have a lot of green beans, tomatoes, pak choi is a favourite. Try squash, corguettes, aubergines.

Stay clear of gluten - there are so many options now to avoid it like Quinoa instead of couscous to make a filling salad for lunch. Try asian food stores and look into rice paper (rice rolls), wholegrain rice is great too. Gluten free oatcakes is a personal favourite of mine.

To marinade chicken breasts, try some garlic infused oil, a bit of salt and some oregano or thyme. Roast it and it's lovely in a salad with some oat cakes. I make it regularly.

Stick with it, it takes time but it becomes second nature! Add me as a friend and message me if you want more info at all. I know how you're feeling but it gets better! :)

Alexandra
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Looking for some specific food advice, too. The info I got from my doctor said that HFCS, corn syrup and sweet corn were out, but it didn't say anything about other types of corn. Other sources I've seen have said corn (I'm assuming steamed or corn on the cob) is fine, but not HFCS or "corn syrup solids."

So my question... What has been everyone's experience with corn and/or what have your doctors/nutritionists told you about it?

Corn syrup vs corn syrup solids?

Sweet corn vs all corn?

I don't know if I can actually eat corn or not. I'd bought corn tortillas as a replacement for flour tortillas and had seen them as a low-FODMAP suggestion, but now I'm not so sure. Would there be any difference in using something like tortillas made from corn flour vs eating straight corn kernels?

Thanks!