Do you like pork rinds?

Options
Let's face it....they may just be the most perfect keto snack food. They're crunchy, salty, full of fat, and don't have any carbs. They're wonderful by themselves, or topped with keto friendly dips.

I personally love them. My kids hate them, which makes me happy...it means more for me. I love them topped with a nice jalapeno/artichoke/parmesan dip. They're the perfect substitute for crackers or chips.

Replies

• confused_truffle
    confused_truffle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a bag but have been petrified to try them.. my Mom ate those things like they were going out of style when she did Atkin's.. but the smell.. oh god the smell.. I'm still hesitant :embarassed:
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I make my own kosher (fake) pork rinds, LOL, and they're yummy. I use chicken skins, salted and baked until crispy. I freeze them in snack size portions.
  • Dystopianne
    Dystopianne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like them. Especially the salt & vinegar ones you can get at convenience stores. I used to love sat & vinegar chips as a treat now and then so this fills that void (it's part of my PMS ritual ... no clue why!).

I have also tried the trick where you toss a handful in a bag and then add cinnamon/splenda to them, shaking the bag to distribute. They taste kinda like those cinnatwist thingies from Taco Bell. Surprisingly good for a sweet tooth.

I sometimes make BBQ nachos (pulled pork, sugarfree BBQ sauce, lettuce, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, guac) and then either crumble some pork rinds on top for that "chip crunch" or use a few to scoop up the yumminess.

I've mixed crushed rinds with parm cheese and spices to crispy coat chicken before. Even my kids liked those.

I haven't tried putting ranch dressing dry mix in a bag and shaking, but I hear they taste kinda like Cool Ranch Doritos ... but I'm skeptical! Has anyone tried that yet?
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    LOVE...LOVE...LOVE...them!!! I keep a bag in my desk at work so I have a little something to satisfy the afternoon cravings for something salty & crunchy. Also use them with dips, as salad toppers, & even in meat loaf instead of breadcrumbs.
    The possibilities are endless.
  • ohkatherinewheel
    ohkatherinewheel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I *LOVE* pork rinds! There are tons of varieties too, if you have a problem with just plain. Some have 1 carb per half oz, but sometimes it's so worth it! I've made "fried chicken" with pork rind coating, super yummy. I also like to have pork rind nachos with shredded lettuce, ground beef, shredded cheese, sour cream, and a little salsa on top. I love the BBQ flavors, we have a brand that taste like the Sweet Heat potato chips and they're good. And I found pickle flavored ones too! Salt and vinegar are awesome themselves, yum. If you're worried about that smell from the plain, go for some seasoned/flavored ones first and test the waters!
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Love them! You get spicy chili ones here in the UK - difficult not to eat the whole packet immediately though, lol!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just tried them for the first time last night. I think they are perfect to satisfy crunch cravings. Although they were good, they left my mouth kind of dry or they were dry (IDK), it seems this might keep me from overeating them.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    blech.. I don't like skin on anything. of course, I haven't eaten meat (other than poultry) in nearly 30 years ;P So I am probably not qualified to answer.

I totally miss bacon though, but I like piggies too much to eat them.
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They are like the King of Keto foods. They can be used to replace so many different things. I like to crush them up in the food processer to use as the binder in my Low Carb Meatloaf or the breading on chicken and pork chops.