Books - Who's reading what

Options
cybersheel
cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
Recently finished Persuader by Lee Child
now reading
Force of Nature by C. J. Box.
Love a good thriller/mystery/murder.
Actually, I'll read practically anything, such a joy getting lost in a book.

Replies

• sloanranger1957
    Options
    I love to read sheel and working night I can get through a few. I am at the moment reading Martina Cole - Lady Killer. Whare do you get your books and have you heard of readitswapit, if not type it just as that in yr browser.

Jo x
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love to read! Helps me unwind after a crazy day at work. I got an Amazon Kindle from a friend and I didnt think I would like it since I wouldnt have the "book" in my hands but I have to say I do like it! I am currently reading Chasing Justice by Danielle Stewart
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Love reading, but rarely get much time to read unless I'm on a vacation. When we plan a vacation I'm actually more excited about how many & which books I'll be able to get in, more than the vacation...lol. But I do usually have a book at non-vacation times that I creep along with. Right now it's "Seabiscuit," although I also work on a weight loss Bible Study each week.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. First though, I reread The Shining as Doctor Sleep is the sequel. This is King's first sequel to anything he's ever written. It was pure pleasure to spend several days reading.

Now I need something else. This thread will give me some ideas.
  • kathyt08069
    kathyt08069 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As part of my book club we just finished Blind Your Ponies. It was okay, we will discuss the book Monday night. For those that love to read there is a good website Goodreads.com. You can track your books and set up a To Read list. I enjoy adding books to my list since I tend to forget what I want to read next.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to read Dr. Sleep!

Currently I'm listening to "1000 White Women" by Fergus on CD while I commute to work. A fictional account of what would have happened had the government's Brides for Indians program actually become reality. (In 1875) Wonderful story, and read extremely well. I highly recommend it!
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lots more recently since starting as a volunteer driver for the elderly, I now spend lots of time in hospitals waiting for my clients. Just ploughing my way through some trashy summer reading on my kindle that only cost 99pence a book off Amazon!
  • NightMagic5
    NightMagic5 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. First though, I reread The Shining as Doctor Sleep is the sequel.

I didn't know the Shining had a sequel. I'm going to see if I can get it on my kindle.
  • kathyt08069
    kathyt08069 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh I read 1000 white Women and loved it. I should try audio books during long drives. I sure beats listening to the radio.
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1000 White Women sounds interesting. Why were the Government thinking of sending women as brides for Indians?
    Read a few Stephen King books but not a fan, I've enough problems with sleep as it is!
    Got a Kindle a couple of years ago, like you bubblyebabeuk I download the free and 99 pence books. Great for non-brainstrain reading.
    Jo, like the sound of the swap site but think the postage would be a bit steep now and I've no Post Office near here. Tend to swap books with a couple of friends and family also buy loads in Charity shops - they get the money and I get the book, win, win.
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    I also read 1000 White Women and loved it. This summer I read The Midwife of Venice-historical fiction, mystery, romance, and adventure all rolled in one.
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    Also-The Same Kind of Different as Me, and The Color of Water
  • Vick53
    Vick53 Posts: 15
    Options
    I sign out electronic books from the library and read on my mini iPad. currently Highlands Lairds Series by Julie Garwood.
  • K9Lover
    K9Lover Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The only Stephen King book I've ever read is 11-22-63, which I absolutely loved. (I actually listened to it; the narrator was excellent.) Do you think The Shining & Doctor Sleep would be good ones to read next?
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    K9- The Shinning and many of King's earlier books are considered to be the best he's ever done. Dr. Sleep was good, but not as good, IMHO, as good as The Shining.
  • txteadrinker
    txteadrinker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As part of my book club we just finished Blind Your Ponies. It was okay, we will discuss the book Monday night. For those that love to read there is a good website Goodreads.com. You can track your books and set up a To Read list. I enjoy adding books to my list since I tend to forget what I want to read next.
    What a great idea! I get quite a few free books for my Kindle, but then go back and have no idea what they are about. Thanks for the tip on goodreads.com.
    By the way, I'm reading "Mistress" by James Patterson. Well, I'm trying to. My husband is very quiet and loves to watch sports but whenever I start reading he mysteriously has something very important to say...so I must get lost in my books, too.
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband is very quiet and loves to watch sports but whenever I start reading he mysteriously has something very important to say...so I must get lost in my books, too.

Strange - my husband is the exact same way! Generally pretty quiet, unless I'm trying to read or maybe do something that takes concentration on the computer... then he's mr. chatty pants!

Ruth
  • sjsmith9
    sjsmith9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok, don't laugh or judge me because my last reads certainly doesn't say who I am. I read all three Fifty Shades of Grey. There was so much buzz in the media and then my young hair stylist was talking about it and told me it was a good read. Believe it or not it was a love story between all the kinky stuff :). It didn't do anything for my libido guess menopause has taken care of that. I've downloaded Gone Girl and plan to read it with the shorter daylight hours ahead of us.
  • SkagitYogini
    Options
    [/quote]

mr. chatty pants!

Ruth
    [/quote]
    LOL at Mr. Chatty Pants! They're like little kids - wanting our attention at all times!
  • SkagitYogini
    Options
    Ok, don't laugh or judge me because my last reads certainly doesn't say who I am. I read all three Fifty Shades of Grey. There was so much buzz in the media and then my young hair stylist was talking about it and told me it was a good read. Believe it or not it was a love story between all the kinky stuff :). It didn't do anything for my libido guess menopause has taken care of that. I've downloaded Gone Girl and plan to read it with the shorter daylight hours ahead of us.
    I read Gone Girl and another book by the same author (Sharp Objects, maybe?) Both good books. Currently listening to The Shining on CD in preparation for Dr. Sleep. Also reading The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell.