Lipid Panel Comparison

Options
linbert57
linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
Had my yearly physical today and was itching to know my "numbers" compared to last year's blood work.

2012 - Total Cholesterol 239
Triglyceride 104
HDL 65
LDL 153

2013 - Total Cholesterol 228
Triglyceride 47
HDL 91
LDL 128

My doctor and myself were very pleased with these numbers. My sugar was slightly elevated though, which bothered me since I virtually have no sugar and my carbs have been under 50 for the longest time. My brother is diabetic and she told me it might be more of a genetic thing that I may not have that much control over. I disagree with her, but she wasn't overly concerned, saying we'll keep an eye on it.

My thyroid on the other hand, is still showing overactivity as it did last year. Not all blood work was abnormal with it, but I will be going to an endocrinologist eventually and after she examined me she said my right gland was "filled" and I'm having an ultrasound on Friday.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey cool!

By sugars what do you mean? Fasting glucose? What was it?
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    That's great your cholesterol is looking so good.

I hope they get the thyroid issue resolved for you. That must be kinda scary to hear there's something going on.
  • linbert57
    Options
    Hey cool!

Yeah it was fasting glucose - 111
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hey cool!

That's a bit high, yes. Menopause?
  • linbert57
    Options
    Hey cool!

Menopause started about 4 years ago. Never really had any of the "side effects" luckily and I didn't know blood sugar could be affected. Are you in medicine?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hey cool!

Menopause started about 4 years ago. Never really had any of the "side effects" luckily and I didn't know blood sugar could be affected. Are you in medicine?
    I'm not a doctor (and I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night. Sorry, couldnt resist that line). But I'm also in menopause and been reading up on menopause and insulin resistance. I've long believed menopause is a sort of insulin resistance and have lately been given (on the menopause group) a few blogs and medical articles about the topic. Your post had me curious. (mine was recently tested and was 92.
    Here's the link to the group/blog/and one of the articles. If you're interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1095189-good-article?page=1#posts-17157163
  • linbert57
    Options
    Hey cool!

I'm not a doctor (and I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night. Sorry, couldnt resist that line). But I'm also in menopause and been reading up on menopause and insulin resistance. I've long believed menopause is a sort of insulin resistance and have lately been given (on the menopause group) a few blogs and medical articles about the topic. Your post had me curious. (mine was recently tested and was 92.
    Here's the link to the group/blog/and one of the articles. If you're interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1095189-good-article?page=1#posts-17157163

Thanks for the link - the article was quite interesting. Maybe the cortisol is up there (stress throws a monkey wrench in good health) because I've been low carb since the spring, and most recently keto adapted. I kicked myself out of ketosis the end of August with several ice cream sandwiches, but I've been a good girl since then. That's why I was surprised at my fasting glucose number. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, because all in all I feel it's put me on the road to better health (looking at my lipids again). I appreciate the info. Since I haven't had any side effects from menopause for ages, I thought maybe I was done with it. Maybe not :(