c25k/running

Options
Rai007
Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
hi to all

has anyone on this group tried c25k and running for weight loss.

ur experiences.

regards.

Replies

• benzenering
    benzenering Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ran for years up to 1 1/2 years ago. I've tried the c2k program every time I started over. It's a very good program, and has been around for a long time. I always did it alone, but my sister did the program with her town's recreation and parks. You could also find a group through your local running store. Another option, if you want to do it alone, is using a phone app. I've never tried that but lots of people have been successful with it.

It will help to get a good pair of shoes. Go to a running store to get fitted for the right pair.

Good luck!
  • benzenering
    benzenering Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh, I meant to add, I never had weight loss running...but I didn't gain, either.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    YES!!

I started running in March of 2011 at 236 pounds (I'm 5 foot 2) on the treadmill. I downloaded the C25K app and used that. I was slow. sooooo slow. But I did it. Even though it took me another year and a half to get my crap together on eating, I never stopped running. Now I run twice a week, zumba twice a week, and I lift weights. I focus on different things, sometimes time, sometimes distance, sometimes hills. I'm still not very fast, but now I can WALK at the pace I used to "run" at! It gives you something to focus on aside from the scale. Now that I weigh a bit less, I can run outside without it hurting my knees, and I like running both ways (treadmill and outside). You should definitely give it a shot.

I do want to add--it's a great cardio workout, but just like any other cardio--you won't lose weight just by running. Your nutrition has to be on point. :)

Please update us if you decide to try it!
  • asharkin
    asharkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done the c25k and it was a great program. I was doing the c210k program (stopped due to out of whack thyroid & loss of energy...just been walking) but it is a lot longer workouts so I haven't gotten through it all... I like the interval workout it gives doing the shorter walk/runs anyway - I don't really care about actually running a 10k. I'm happy just being stuck in the middle and getting a good workout. Running is hard at first but your body gets used to it and it becomes easier over time :)
  • maijanz
    maijanz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Last year I lost 13kg (28 lbs) by 1) watching what I ate, 2) doing Couch to 5k and 3) yoga.

Like the others have said C25k is an amazing program! It will help get started with running and you'll love the results! I fell off the exercise wagon at the end of last year, and I've just started again. I'm now in week 7 of C25k and I can't believe how energised feel after my morning run.

My tips for anyone starting C25k are:
    1) Get a pair of good running shoes (to avoid pain and injuries)
    2) Stretch well after your run (again to avoid pain and injuries)
    3) Start slow! There's no shame in being slow. Running slow is 1000 times better than not running at all :wink:
    4) Just do it!
  • Mamabearto5
    Mamabearto5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    YES! I am currently beginning Week 8 and am hypothyroid. I have lost about quite a good bit of weight doing so. I started very slow and repeated days and the more I did it, the more energy I got. It is totally possible, even though you have thyroid disease!
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Running (in combo with strength training) has always worked for me -- before thyroid issues -- and has helped me since I became overweight after RAI to treat my hyperthyroid. Now I'm hypothyroid and it took a while to get the meds adjusted. Started really working out and losing some of the weight. Started running againg with the C25K app on my phone which helped me bust through a plateau I was in. Completed C25K then started on C210K. Had to stop running due to bursitis in my hip, but am going to start with C25K as a way to work back into the running again.

Good luck!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I finished the c25k program back in February of this year. I am now preparing for my first Half Marathon 3 weeks away.. eeeek! I used the NHS podcasts, and loved it. I never ran before I started this program and now I'm race obsessed.

I haven't really seen much weight loss that I can completely attribute to running. If anything, I feel a bit more flabby since my focus has moved away from heavy lifting. But I think part of that has to do with not getting enough protein to stave off the lbm loss that lots of cardio can cause.

My cardio fitness is through the roof though. I never thought I could go from puffing and struggling with 90 Seconds of running.. to 2 1/2 hours of running.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I did a c25k program to get into running, not for weight loss. It's an excellent program that will help you build endurance. Any weight loss is still going to be about having a proper deficit. Stay mindful of your calories and c25k can help.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I finished the c25k program back in February of this year. I am now preparing for my first Half Marathon 3 weeks away.. eeeek! I used the NHS podcasts, and loved it. I never ran before I started this program and now I'm race obsessed.

I haven't really seen much weight loss that I can completely attribute to running. If anything, I feel a bit more flabby since my focus has moved away from heavy lifting. But I think part of that has to do with not getting enough protein to stave off the lbm loss that lots of cardio can cause.

My cardio fitness is through the roof though. I never thought I could go from puffing and struggling with 90 Seconds of running.. to 2 1/2 hours of running.

Good luck on your Half! I have my first one in 7 weeks.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the app. I am not a runner....I've been a bit scared since my brother had to have surgery on his knee due to running....but I am game to start..slowly.
  • tleonhardt
    tleonhardt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have done several and helped out with one that was in conjunction with a Run For God program at a local church. The experience was fun. Met lots of people of various ages and levels of fitness and enjoyed the faith-based and educational aspects of the program as well as the camaraderie of the participants. I personally did the workouts as an add-on to my regular routine and not really for weight loss. Many of the women in the group did lose weight and inches and gained lots of confidence and healthier lifestyles. If I didn't have injuries that prevent me from running at the moment, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    C25K is an amazing training plan. I used it to run my first 5K a year and a half ago, and I am training for my first 10K now. Running helps me get my metabolism going (provided i can get myself out the door). Do it! It's a great feeling as you progress through the weeks, and such an accomplishment when you cross that finish line.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of starting this as well, if I can just get off the couch! So tired all the time!