lots of food = little amount of juice

Options
I just started juicing (never done it before and this is day #1 of a 30 day fast) and I'm completely astounded by the little amount of juice i got from the amount of food I used.
I yielded 12 oz. of juice from:
4 small apples
about 2 cups of Kale leaves
2 whole carrots
1/2 a lemon
1 small cucumber
:huh:
I'm using the Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer.
I'm basically just wondering if it's me or if it's my juicer, or if it's just juicing in general.
For people juicing- how much food do you put in and what amount of juice do you get from that?

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Usually cucumbers and carrots yield a fair amount of juice. Kale is great but doesn't yield too much. I have heard that the Lalanne juicer has a lot of waste that doesn't get juiced. Check your pulp and see if there are a lot of large food particles. I think it's worth the investment in a good juicer because ultimately you will be spending money on produce and if the juicer is wasteful you'll shell out more $$$ in the long run- that was my experience at least.
  • jamierussell929
    jamierussell929 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make 32 ounces of mean green per day and my list of veggies is below.

2 granny smith apples
    1 english cucumber (skin on)
    1/2 lemon (skin off)
    1/2 cup fresh pineapple (this helps me with the sweetness)
    1 thumb ginger
    10 large kale leaves with stems
    1 bunch of spinach
    5 stalks celery

I have an omega vrt350 masticating juicer that seems to really do well with minimizing wet pulp. I have never had to run my pulp through again except when doing strawberry kiwi juice for my daughter.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yup, it takes more produce than most people probably realize. However, don't forget that you're getting the nutrients from ALL those fruits and veggies!
  • shalooop
    shalooop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was using my mil's hamilton beach big mouth juicer. I felt the pulp was quite wet and I got whole spinach leaves and chunks of apple peel. I ordered a big boss masticating juicer from walmart.com for $98.00. I get more juice, especially from greens, and drier pulp. Food requires more prep and the process takes longer but I think its worth it.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, because for the difference in yield, it doesn't seem like that big a difference in input. Not enough for the difference between 12 oz of juice vs 32 oz. I always just felt, I got what I got... and I never really considered that a different juicer would make that much difference. That said.... I just have to bash kale every chance I get. I tried to juice and drink kale, I really did. OK, I didn't try THAT hard, maybe 3 times... but, I found, I had to juice like a ton of kale to get a very minimum amount of juice, and that the kale just ruined the taste of whatever juice I was making. I've tossed a bit of kale into my salads occasionally, and I'm fine with that.... but kale juice? Blehhhh... how can you stand it?

I yielded 12 oz. of juice from:
    4 small apples
    about 2 cups of Kale leaves
    2 whole carrots
    1/2 a lemon
    1 small cucumber

I make 32 ounces of mean green per day and my list of veggies is below.

2 granny smith apples
    1 english cucumber (skin on)
    1/2 lemon (skin off)
    1/2 cup fresh pineapple (this helps me with the sweetness)
    1 thumb ginger
    10 large kale leaves with stems
    1 bunch of spinach
    5 stalks celery
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Kale is an acquired taste, as is beets. A little more apple juice, herbs or ginger helps. Also at first I iced the juice and drank it really fast. Now I've gotten used to it. The greens really make me feel good, so it has been worth the effort to learn to tolerate them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I got about 55% juice 45% pulp when I weight both as a one-off - centrifugal juicer.