Replies

• MrsSweetT
    MrsSweetT Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    If you have space, look for second or third hand barbells, plated, and bench/rack at pawn shops, Craig's List, and other classified sites/publications.
  • fitatlastforme
    fitatlastforme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nerd fitness body weight workouts, Daily hiit and zuzka light are workouts I do. Love them and pretty addictive. I need something that I can fit into my day.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/#resources-free

https://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to workout at home, it depends on what kind of style exercises you're looking for. For example;

If you want to build all round muscle and do old school style bodybuilding, you can a training split for your body parts and use various body weight and dumbbell exercises. For example chest day could be lying down dumbbell press, dumbbell flyes bent over sat on a chair, press ups/off the knees if necessary. You can check out bodybuilding.com which can give you rated exercises for every targeted muscle and group, with or without certain equipment and you can make your own routine.

If you want to do full body routines, but also geared towards old school weight lifting - you can do the same as above but incorporate more compound exercises such as deadlifts and squats, also using dumbbells three times a week. It's also possible to utilise the kettle bells for the same effect, and any other equipment you get, including your own body weight.

If you want to do workout circuit training, then yes, as above, there are various workout DVDs. Finding which one that works best for you depends on the style of training you enjoy and of course, research of whether what they do in the DVDs actually work and aren't hyped up rubbish. There's a wide range of dvd's from intense ones like P90X and Insanity to Jillian Micheal and other training DVDs. You can also visit various trainers/fitness inspired websites that offer free or monthly paid subs to see daily or weekly updated training exercises such as BodyRock, Zuzana/Zuzalight which can be found on YouTube, their own websites and facebook. YouTube also offers various users that update daily workouts. On another hand, there are various fitness models, male and female, that in return for a monthly subscription or one off payment can supply a workout and exercise plan according to your needs.

It's key to remember that you can utilise anything and everything for exercise.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Just bumping as lots of great resources posted here by MFP's so thought I'd share for Anyone else in need!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bmar26
    Bmar26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Working out in a gym hasn't been an option for me either (mostly because of distance) I purchased a Total Flex Home Gym from Thane Direct for $250 (cost was also an issue for me, this seemed to be a pretty good bang for my buck so to speak). I was a little skeptical at first but it's a really good full body workout (you can choose to do full body, core, upper and lower body workouts). Between the really good workout I get and the fact that it folds up and takes up very little space I've been extremely happy with it. It allows your to vary resistance from 20 to approx. 100 lbs.

Just something else to check out for anyone looking for different alternatives.

Marion
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Is there a YM/WCA around? Usually they will have some sort of scholarship program. My local Y even has a section for expenses and extenuating circumstances if your income seems to high at a glance.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I got these adjustable dumbbells from Bowflex. I've been pretty happy with them.
    bowflex-selecttech-552-dumbbells.jpg
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I've been using a combination of body weights exercises (pushups, planks, wall sits ,etc) I also supplement these with faux TRX straps that hang from my door. That gives me a great workout, and seriously cost 40 dollars, way less than the actual TRX bands and they work just as well. I'm a huge fan of bodyweights, pushups, especially. Worked my way from doing girly style to doing full out ones. My goal is to learn how to do a headstand this year, which will involve a lot more core work. But this is all from the privacy of my home and I've seen plenty of results from it.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you have space, look for second or third hand barbells, plated, and bench/rack at pawn shops, Craig's List, and other classified sites/publications.

This. If I were trying to put together a home gym I'd want a olympic barbell, plates (45,25,10, and 5lbs sets) a squat rack (there are some options on amazon that aren't too awful) and adjustable weight dumbbells.
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Saving. Great resources!
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do have a gym membership but there are weeks where I can't go due to family commitments.

I recently purchased an Olympic barbell and some bumper plates (5kg and 10kg plates at this stage). I don't have a squat rack because there is simply no space in my garage. I normally do barbell complexes for my home routine which don't require you to go super heavy and where you normally start from the floor.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lift-to-burn-4-barbell-complexes-scorch-fat-increase-strength.html
  • ironbutterfly_
    Options
    Bump!
  • jemsurf
    jemsurf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Snooozie
    Options
    bump:bigsmile:
  • suejenfb
    suejenfb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just got Woman's Health Big Book of Exercise and it's great. 619 exercises and hundreds of workouts.
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Looks like lots of great bodyweight exercises were posted here. You can challenge yourself by doing those with a weighted vest. They're $20 - $30 for a 20 lb vest. I love mine, especially for walking lunges.
  • magnitudeofmycommitment
    Options
    Bump