Huge blood sugar spike...why?

Options
Went from 109 to 256 in 2 1/2 hours! Still learning about my diabetes.

I had to undergo a stress test today. My out of bed bg was 156. (kinda normal for me) Had an apple and 2 eggs at 9:30. Went in for the test which took hours (imaging, etc.) I was ready to eat by 3pm...we went to a chinese restaurant and had tea, spring roll and cashew chicken. I took my bg at the table before I ate -109. Came home, felt tired, napped and then tested bg again - 256.

What caused this spike. I've never had this high a reading before (highest 212...after eating some "sugar")
I know the chinese food was very salty. Can that cause a spike?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    bump for responses
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Did you have rice or noodles of some sort? Those always send me pretty high when I eat Chinese or Thai food. How long was it from the time you ate and when you took your BG? I know you mentioned taking a nap so I imagine it was several hours at least.
  • Lindamillion
    Lindamillion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    White rice. But had total of 1 1/2 cups....lots more cashew chicken than rice. 2 1/2 hours between readings. BTW....I'm not on any meds for diabetes. Trying to learn what to avoid.
  • Lindamillion
    Options
    Bump?
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Chinese food has this affect, generally. It can last for many, many hours. Read Dr. Bernstein's book, The Diabetes Solution. He goes into detail about the "Chinese food affect".
  • Lindamillion
    Options
    Thank you! I will avoid the chinese food! And I'll check out that book, too. If I'm going to try to even these out and eventually lower my bg, then I need to know how certain food affect me....lesson learned today!
  • sryoung1957
    sryoung1957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 cups of rice is HUGE for me....my BP would be soaring!!
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    White rice is a high glycemic index food, it will spike your blood sugar. 1.5 cups of rice is 3 carb servings (approx 60+ gm of carbs). Better to eat smaller quantities of brown rice ie half cup max. The fiber/bran in brown rice slows digestion/release of glucose.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to figure things out too and agree with everything everyone else already said. There's a great group on mfp called type 2 diabetes with loads of info and a link to a great website called something like blood sugar 101 ill go find the Lin and post it it was a great help to me when first learning. Also boo k called blood sugar solution by mark hyman great info
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Besides avoid high GI foods, I was told by the diabetes nutritionist to limit carb servings to 50g at any single sitting.
  • Lindamillion
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll check out the websites and look into the books. I did Atkins years ago - didn't lose much weight, but curbed some cravings by cutting those carbs. Diabetes team wants me to eat more carbs than I think I should. Now I know my bg will react to show me which carbs are bad for me.

BTW, I ate 1 1/2 cups total of cashew chicken (1 cup) with rice (1/2 cup).....just wasn't prepared for the huge spike. Lesson learned.

Again, thank you all!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Did you confirm your meter reading with a second test? Sometimes a meter will give an erroneous result because of a bad strip or food residue on your hands. Last week after dinner I had a reading of 310 that was a total surprise. I was about to take a supplemental dose of insulin but decided to wash my hands well and recheck my sugar. Lo and behold the result was 160. Had I taken the extra insulin I would have had a really nasty low in the middle of the night
  • Lindamillion
    Options
    I probably should check the accuracy of my meter....good reminder!
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1.5 cup of rice is 65-70g of carbs. For one meal that is a lot for most of us diabetics.