Lowfat Alfredo Sauce

Options
Weight Watchers - Cream Cheese Spread, 8 oz (container)

Butterball - Chicken Broth 99% Fat Free, 2 cup

Aldi Reggano - Parmesan Cheese, 6 Tbsp

Argo - 100% Pure Corn Starch, 1 tbsp (8 grams)

Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb-Salt Free - Seasoning, 1 teaspoon

In saucepan, over low heat, whisk broth, corn starch and seasoning. Mix in cream cheese and 4 Tbsp parmesan cheese.
Simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Mix in remaining parmesan cheese.

Makes 9 1/4 cup servings. 72 calories per serving.

Replies

• cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    This is delicious!!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Will have to try it love Alfredo sauce
  • tlhorka
    tlhorka Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks CateyJo ;-)
  • barb_ww
    barb_ww Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is the WW cream cheese fat free or low fat? Can I use any brand?
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    I have made it using neufchatel cheese and it was good with that too. I think any brand will work.
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Looks fantastic, will have to try.
  • Ceolan
    Ceolan Posts: 4
    Options
    I have to admit, this has less fat *and* carbohydrates than my own recipe, though as a purist I have to nitpick and say this is *not* alfredo but rather just a savoury cheese sauce.

On the other hand, I took the liberty of putting your recipe into a nutritional calculator and the sodium content is astoundingly high (337.2mg). Possibly it's the broth, which I notice you did not post was sodium free (just 99% fat free), which would take it down to 275mg sodium. As much as I'm sure it's tasty, I can't possibly try the recipe thanks to my high blood pressure anyway.

However, over actual alfredo sauces (done in the traditional manner) you *are* shaving off anywhere from 30-50 *grams* of fat, not to mention lowering the cholesterol and carbohydrates. If you don't mind the sodium levels, this is a much less fattening recipe.

If anyone is interested I can share my own recipe. It's not as low in fat, but I've still managed to get it down there, and it's 1/5th the sodium.

(Edit: recalced nutritional info based on 9 1/4c servings instead of 5 1/2c)
  • tlhorka
    Options
    WOW ... thank you so much for all your very useful information. I am not sure why some people feel the need to sound so condesending. Instead, you could "take the liberty" to use low sodium broth. Just a suggestion.
  • tlhorka
    Options
    I often use neufchatel cheese, which is basically the same as the WW cream cheese.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I substituted plain greek yogurt for cream recently in the typical sauce, and it was actually pretty close. Much healthier. It had a little bit of a tangy taste that needs some tweaking, but really good substitution. I also cut back on the cheese because that's where a lot of the calories come in, but the flavor from the yogurt actually made up for it.
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sounds a good low calorie sauce
  • butterflies02875
    butterflies02875 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow this sound great. Im a chef and I will try this one.:smile:
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    thanks!