NEW to EMTWL...Questions

Options
Hi Guys,
I have decided to try the EMTWL method to try to shed unwanted fat. Below is my history and would love for your feedback on how to do this properly.

I have had years of going up and down with my weight. Back in November 2010 I decided I needed to get back to eating right and exercising, I was standing at 225lbs and by July of 2011 I was down to 196 which was the same weight I got down to in 2006. I joined MFP back in 2011 prior to that I was doing a guestimation on my caloric intake, but I think I ate relatively around 1400 and would eat more when I exercised, yes some days I am sure I would net 1,000 calories as I would burn anywhere from 700-800 calos.

Over the period of July 2011 to April 2012, I yo-yod and found myself at 217lbs.Then in May 2012 I tried going gluten free and cut out wheat completely and ate less carbs but I never counted calories so not sure how much I ate, this helped but it was an up and down cycle of the same 5lbs. I quit that lifestyle as it did not do anything for me but now I am 223lbs and need to really lose 20lbs to start, Ideally I would like to be around 160-170 long term but a toned body is more important then the number, I would love to be at a weight where I am comfortable and have a toned physique.

I have been ensuring not to eat below my BMR the past month but I am still the same weight and inches haven't reduced by much. I need some some assistance on how to do this right. Below is my stats. I do find that sometimes when I eat a lot, I lose but then I get in to the habit of needing to eat less and working out and the pounds come back up. PLEASE HELP.

Height: 5'8
CW: 223lb
BMR:1798
TDEE: 2157 (Based on Desk job no exercise)
Currently I work out 3-4 days out of the week, 5 days on a good week 40-60mins. I do Body Pump work outs and Taebo on alternate days. With Body Pump I burn 400cals and with Taebo I burn anywhere from 400-700 cals.

Do I need to eat my TDEE before cutting or should I just go to cutting? Sorry I know most of these have been answered but just wanted a personalized answer. Thanks in advance

Replies

• zenyacleveland
    zenyacleveland Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Because you workout you should re-calculate your TDEE
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    Because you workout you should re-calculate your TDEE

Well I l would add my exercise on top of the TDEE because it truely varies from day to day and I don't have a consistent burn.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    With some bad dieting experience comes burning off muscle mass.

So if you BMR is based on age, weight, height, it assumes healthy average ratio of fat to non-fat mass.

But most likely, you don't have that average ratio, you probably have less non-fat LBM. And that is the main burner for metabolism, and your TDEE.

So base the math on Katch BMR using a decent bodyfat % calc.

You might find BMR you are using is 200-400 inflated over best estimate. That means by the time you've taken a cut on paper math, you don't have one in reality.

Also, if you eat back exercise calories, you'll want those estimates as best they can be, and you'll need to take the same deficit % off before eat-back.

And food of course weighed, not measured, unless liquid.

Might try the spreadsheet on my profile page to get best estimates, and track progress including many measurements.

Do the Simple Setup tab including the daily activity part of the Activity Calc, in case your 40 hr work week is actually more than sedentary desk job.
    Then go to MFP Tweak tab and follow those instructions there.
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    With some bad dieting experience comes burning off muscle mass.

So if you BMR is based on age, weight, height, it assumes healthy average ratio of fat to non-fat mass.

But most likely, you don't have that average ratio, you probably have less non-fat LBM. And that is the main burner for metabolism, and your TDEE.

So base the math on Katch BMR using a decent bodyfat % calc.

You might find BMR you are using is 200-400 inflated over best estimate. That means by the time you've taken a cut on paper math, you don't have one in reality.

Also, if you eat back exercise calories, you'll want those estimates as best they can be, and you'll need to take the same deficit % off before eat-back.

And food of course weighed, not measured, unless liquid.

Might try the spreadsheet on my profile page to get best estimates, and track progress including many measurements.

Do the Simple Setup tab including the daily activity part of the Activity Calc, in case your 40 hr work week is actually more than sedentary desk job.
    Then go to MFP Tweak tab and follow those instructions there.

Thanks for your quick response.