Any suggestions for post surgery meals?

Options
I'm having hernia surgery on Monday and will not be able to really cook for at least a week. My hubby, while an excellent nurse, is useless in the kitchen unless its a pizza in the toaster oven. Any suggestions to get me through until I can put a pot of soup together or throw a roast in the crockpot?

Replies

• polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    If you have the time before your surgery, maybe try to make the soup ahead of time, cook the roast now, and slice it, so it is available to you. Pre-cut a bunch of veggies to have on hand, Slice up some cheese so that all you or your husband has to do is reach into the fridge. No fuss, no muss. Good luck with the surgery!:flowerforyou:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Add to the previous suggestions...bake meatloaf, turkeyburgers, lasagna, etc., and freeze in meal-sized portions. Easy to thaw and reheat when needed. Add a bagged, pre-washed salad and even my hubby could handle that without major trauma! :laugh: Find a few easy crockpot concoctions that sound good and healthy and let them simmer all day.

I add my best wishes for your surgery and a quick recovery.
  • sshimeall
    Options
    FWIW, I tend to make enough of my own food to get by for at least a week with the Microwave. I have a stew that I like, and a cereal that I developed based on hulled barley that works well for me. Both of them took time to work out, but it was worth it. I keep both in the fridge.

When I don't have time to prepare it, I usually have at least one salad and a meal of low-fat greek yogurt. Then I only need to pay attention to dinner. Salads are not rocket science to put together, he should be able to do a basic one if you have what he needs for them in the fridge.

I hope the surgery goes well.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Chicken Parmesan, heavy on the cheeses with no breading is absolutely wonderful, very low carb, and filling. It also freezes very well. You can make a huge batch for the whole family. This is a family favorite.
  • Lindamillion
    Lindamillion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OK....gotta start making my meal plans. Great ideas! Peanut butter and carrots/celery/apples will be ready to go. I'll make some soups today and freeze what my freezer has room for. Gotta thaw the chicken breasts! And I can always send hubby to the grocery store to get fresh salad, etc. Rainy day so perfect for cooking!