restarting SL 5x5 after some time off

Options
nar1824
nar1824 Posts: 12 Member
I am restarting the SL program and wondered if anyone else has subbed dumbbell overhead presses for barbell overhead presses? I am getting a twinge in my upper bicep that I am concerned is due to either flexibility or rotator cuff issues. I realize I obviously won't be able to load as much but I plan to take the progression with my OHP and Bench Press slower anyway due to these issues. I don't get the twinge when I do dumbbell OHP with similar weight. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• kevinwheat1
    Options
    Maybe the way you're gripping the bar? Try using different thumb placement...over vs under or vice versa depending on what you're using right now. Also try varying grip width and see if that helps. Are you doing in front of the head or behind the head OHP? I was doing in front of the head and finally stalled at 140 but had some shoulder discomfort doing it that way. I switched to behind the head and am up to 110 with very little to no shoulder pain. They say behind the head is harder on the shoulder but it doesn't seem to be that way for me.
  • nar1824
    nar1824 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I do my OHP in front. I realize it will be straying from the program but I think I have decided to do the Squats/deadlifts as programmed but instead of bench and OHP I am going to try out doing one arm Dumbbell bench and overhead presses. I was reading an article about shoulder types and similar problems and they suggest going to dumbbells or kettlebell presses instead of using fixed position presses like bench/OHP or even handstand pushups. This would allow more freedom of movement in the shoulder and I tried it today with no problems. I think I will stick with it and maybe keep a journal or something going to detail the progress.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    I had pain in my biceps and my wrists, and it was because of form. I realized my grip was too narrow (bicep) and the weight in my hands was too far towards my fingers. Once I adjusted those both issues disappeared.
  • kevinwheat1
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I do my OHP in front. I realize it will be straying from the program but I think I have decided to do the Squats/deadlifts as programmed but instead of bench and OHP I am going to try out doing one arm Dumbbell bench and overhead presses. I was reading an article about shoulder types and similar problems and they suggest going to dumbbells or kettlebell presses instead of using fixed position presses like bench/OHP or even handstand pushups. This would allow more freedom of movement in the shoulder and I tried it today with no problems. I think I will stick with it and maybe keep a journal or something going to detail the progress.

I don't think it's a question of whether you choose to use a barbell or dumbbells as long as you're tracking your progress and attempting to increase the weight, which is the basis for the SL program. I think it's just easier for people to have a barbell and various plates vs dumbbells in varying weights. Just remember that when you increase weight on a barbell, you can do it by 5lbs but when using dumbbells, you'll typically be increasing by 10lbs (5lbs in each hand).