Starting Keto Diet Monday, need support and advice :)

Options
Fit4Life004
Fit4Life004 Posts: 30 Member
Hi, so I am a female, 21 5'1 117.5 pounds petite build and I have decided to give a Keto diet a try. I am a senior in college. I would like to lose 12-15 pounds. I am nervous but excited to see how my body reacts to this new diet. I am looking for advice and what to expect when on this diet. What things did you eat, what was ur exercise plan, how did u start Keto? Did you have any side effects? Any thing else you would like to let me know would be great! Feel free to add me i need supportive friends! thank you

Christina

Replies

• Kate029
    Kate029 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for about 6 weeks now and love it, but am certainly no exepert yet!

My advice would be to take the work outs easy for the first couple of weeks, I had been working out for awhile before I switched to keto and found for the first two/three weeks while my body adapted working out was really tough for me. Perserve through though cause now I feel great when I am working out.

Also losing weight is a lot easier on keto for me, when I was eating carbs and low fat/low cal I had been at the same weight for about 6 months with only very small loses, now on keto I have lost about 5kgs already :D

I eat a lot of the same meals as it make it easier, lots of bacon and eggs with cream or cheese for breakfast, chicken thighs, avacado feta spinich for lunch and dinners with a high fat oil based dressing, keeps you full and satisfyed all day and I now find that I don't need snacks inbetween meals.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I am a female, 21 5'1 117.5 pounds petite build and I have decided to give a Keto diet a try. I am a senior in college. I would like to lose 12-15 pounds. I am nervous but excited to see how my body reacts to this new diet. I am looking for advice and what to expect when on this diet. What things did you eat, what was ur exercise plan, how did u start Keto? Did you have any side effects? Any thing else you would like to let me know would be great! Feel free to add me i need supportive friends! thank you

Christina

One of the common side effects is "keto flu" / "carb flu". Feelings of lethargy, brain fog, maybe even nausea. Be sure your first week or so to have broth on hand to drink if you start feeling poorly. You may even need extra electrolyte supplementation (sodium/potassium/magnesium). Drink lots of water & keep up your electrolytes as you may get headaches and/or leg cramps.

I didn't get keto flu but a couple weeks in I did start getting leg cramps during the night. I started using Morton's Lite Salt in my cooking & in the morning I would add some to a small cup of water & chug it down.

As you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you may not find it coming off quickly. But many people do enjoy the energy & general feelings of well-being after the first few weeks, or even the first few days. It just depends on how your body adapts to the change.

Be sure you eat enough protein & fat to keep you feeling full. And again, drink lots of water!

Best of luck!
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll feel a lot better soon in a few weeks, even if you don't have much weight to lose. I started Keto by extensively reading this page http://cavemanketo.com/ - configured MFP and started pre-planning my food for a few days in advance and cooked Keto Caveman's recipes, over time I found more and more foods that had the right ratio of fat-protein-carbs. I recommend you friend a bunch of people who get their ratios right, and look through their food diaries to get ideas too! My last tip for now is to get a bottle of coconut oil and add a teaspoon to your meals - fairly ups your fat ratio :) Good luck!