Looking for breakfast suggestions

Options
Hi All - I'm new here, I got sleeved in August 2010, lost 115 pounds and over the last year I have gained 20 back. Need to get back on track starting with breakfast!

One problem, I cannot eat eggs. I'm OK with eggs IN things, I just can't eat them "straight" as in omelets, quiche, etc (they make me gag). I also struggle with protein shakes. Beyond that, I'm game!

I have also heard that baking with protein powder (as in muffins etc) is a no-no. Thoguhts?

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I know some folks absolutely swear off all bread, I do not and maybe you do not either. I love the Fiber One English muffins or a slice of Ezekiel's bread toasted (both loaded with protein/good carbs and plenty of fiber) I top them with many things such as just peanut or almond butter (natural-no sugar added), a tablespoon of ricotta cheese or cottage cheese mixed with raspberries, blueberries or strawberries, a tablespoon of cream cheese topped with some smoked salmon or if I had some for dinner the night before I will use some of the left over, an extra thin corn tortilla rolled up with a slice of ham or roast beef inside with a cheese stick inside and microwaved, steelcut oatmeal with berries, dannon light & fit greek yogurt vanilla with my own berries added in. I am also trying to get away from shakes and bars and eat more real food as my doctor encourages but I do like a shake now and again or 1 cup cold coffee, 1 cup so delicious almond milk w5x protein (I buy it in the boxed milk section of the grocery store) with a scoop of protein powder and 1/4 c cottage cheese (must do this one in the blender so it is nice and thick like a milk shake). Hope that gives you some viable suggestions.
  • biologygrrrl
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas! I especially like the one with the cheese stick in the middle, I always have plenty of those on hand with kids in the house. I have the worst time in the winter when I want warm things in the morning, besides after eating Greek yogurt all summer I'm a little bored with that LOL.
  • Alajane1
    Options
    I really enjoy a Quest bar in the morning and it holds me until lunch time. I usually eat either the strawberry cheesecake or lemon flavor because those are 170 and 160 calories each--I believe the chocolate peanut butter is also 160 calories but I don't like it as well.
  • spooky228
    Options
    Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Patties, 2 patties are 100 calories and 11g. of protein. I crumble one in a scrambled egg, but
    I am sure you could put them on toast or one of those muffins.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, light string cheese, turkey pepperoni, turkey or ham and cheese wraps (on low carb tortillas), greek yogurt
  • biologygrrrl
    Options
    I just made a really good recipe today! From the Eggface blog:

Shelly's Sausage Pancake Bites

1/2 cup Multigrain Pancake Mix, dry
    1/3 cup Soy Milk (any milk would do)
    1/4 cup Torani Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
    1/3 cup Cooked Sausage Crumbles

Mix pancake mix, milk, syrup together till thoroughly combined. Pour batter into a 12 cup mini muffin tin that has been sprayed with Pam. Fill about 3/4 way up.

Top each muffin with a few sausage crumbles (or sliced leftovers of cooked sausage would work great too.)

Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Serve with SF Maple syrup for dipping.

it makes 12 mini muffins, 4 muffins have 108 cals, 14g carbs, 4g fat & 5g protein. They are super yummy! I also mixed up my own coffee creamer that adds 3g protein to my coffee and no sugar.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    When I need to eat breakfast on the run I like the Quest Cinnamon Roll bar or the Banana Nut bar. They are 170 calories and 20 grams of protein. During the work week I usually have 1 cup of cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt with a little cinnamon and honey. You can also add fruit and sometimes I like the cottage cheese plain. When newly sleeved I did Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal with a scoop of unflavored protein powder for that extra protein kick. Or use plain oatmeal and add protein shake mix as a flavoring. Just make sure the oatmeal has cooled a bit first. Overheating protein powders somehow degrades the protein.
  • teachren
    Options
    Ya breakfast is hard if you don't like eggs all that much. I pretty much have peameal bacon (or "Canadian bacon" as the Americans call it) almost every day. 2 slices have 100 cals and 14g of protein and about 5 g of fat. Now that is not the processed meat kind you will find at Walmart or Krogers in the US. It's the actual slices with little yellow cornmeal on the edges. Now...I top it with a poached egg or an egg white omlet but you could always melt some low fat cheese on top to up the protein even more or a slice of tomato with the cheese also tastes great.

It takes literally 3 minutes to cook the thin slices in a pan with a second spray of whatever compressed oil you use.

I feel for you...as I would be devestated if I couldn't stomach my eggs. I am trying to stay low carb so the protein muffins or pancakes or bars are just not going to work for me.

Good luck