Need Some Bulking Advice, Please!

Options
TriLifter
TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
I'm going to start a bulk in a week and a half and was hoping for some advice. My TDD is around 2000 (I'm 5'6", around 120 lbs).

I'm wondering what supplements (I already do whey protein powder) would be beneficial for me to bulk (I'm asking because I don't want to go get the GNC or Vitamin Shoppe or whatever "build more muscle with these 500-ingrediant supplements that will cost you $1000/month--I'd rather hear from REAL people with experience!)?

Also, I'm eating >150g protein/day and < 75g carbs/day (diabetes managed through low carbs rather than drugs), and the rest fat. I'm at +/- 2000 calories/day at the moment. How much should I increase my intake, how fast, and should I increase my protein?

Replies

• funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    The two things I would suggest is a protein powder and multi-vitamin. All of the other supplements are not very helpful. Eat greater than your maintenance calories and lift weights and you will put on weight.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Come on guys, no more advice?!
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hey Primal it seems like you get the just of bulking. I don't think any supplements are necessary other than a whey supp, if you're having a tough time consuming enough protein through your food. Personally I aim for around 1.75 - 2 g of protein per lb body weight when bulking and I increase my calories by 200 every week until I feel like my body's utilizing the energy well and the weight starts going up on the scale. I would up the carbs though by a little bit unless your diabetes wont allow that.

Eat lots of low-gi carbs (I'm sure you already are to regulate your blood sugar levels), eat often like 6 times a day, rest at least 8 hrs a night, give every muscle group you work at least a day for recovery, turn down the cardio, and just get a feel for what your bodies doing and the rest should just come to you.....Ohh and make sure you're getting your essential fatty acids into your diet as well

When lifting try to find a weight that you can only rep 5-8 times and don't mess with anything you can lift more than 10x for sure.

kick some *kitten* buddy