Gastic bypass in 2005 - new to group.

Options
Hello all! My name is Rachael I had my gastric bypass in Aug, 2005. I had one child since then and one before. I am still considered a success in terms of the outcome of surgery however I have gained weight in the last 3-5 years. I am now up to 249 which is only 76 pound difference from my pre-op weight. I am making changes but boy are they hard. I think the eating part is harder than the exerising part, though that is a hard thing for me too.
I have started to track my food, via this app. I am going to try the phase three diet again as well. I want my goal weight of 180.

^ that wa sa bit of a ramble, LOL.

Rachael.

Replies

• DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachael! Welcome! I'm currently in the pre-op stage. I've read from many that years out can be a struggle, so glad you joined us here. Tracking your food is soooo important. Having a place to go for support (here) is also very beneficial. I hope you will check back often for encouragement. We ALL need it!
  • rachaelrb1282
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and good luck on your surgery!
  • gramsoffive
    Options
    Welcome to our group! I am in the preop stage and have gained lots of support from this group. I hope that you do as well.

"MyFitnessPal" is very beneficial for tracking you food and evaluating your progress. It greatly helped me determine where I needed changes in my eating habits. I found that I was eating way too little protein. Increasing the protein, greatly helped me loose weight.

Good luck as you rejoin the process.
  • CorinneSharpe
    Options
    Heya! Heh - you and i have very similar stories... I'm just of four years post - op... i had a baby in the middle of this... I have gained back about 25 lbs and want to lose it back BADLY! I'm trying to get myself back to the basics and focusing on clean eating and lowering my gluten/carb intake.

However... i must say this...

you've ONLY? lost 76 lbs!? Whaaaat!?!? Celebrate this!!!! You have lost it!! own it!! just sayin

Have an amazing day!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Welcome, logging food and going back to the basics will get you to where you want to be. I am almost 3 years out, and work very hard to mIntain my weight. April 82 percent of gastric bypass patients do regain weight. Give yourself a big well done that you have not gained it all back. You should be remembering how much better you feel now than you did at your highest weight and use that for a jumping off point to relies!
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    OMG!! Other than the having a baby part our stories are so similar. I had my sugery in March '05. I've gone through a LOT of stress in the past six years including a car wreck and fall on ice that jacked my back, not to mention the lovely bout with depression since getting injured and packing on the pounds. I'm probably 60lbs from gaining it all back and I'm DONE.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to reset your pouch? I so wish that the candy would stop calling my name like year 1 because I would have such a horrid reaction.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group Rachel. In my opinion, you've made progress already by seeking MyFitnessPal to track your food and exercise. Plus you're sought out a group here for those of us whom have already had WLS. You're on the correct path now, hurray!!

This community has some very, very special people in it from all walks of life. We're all doing our own personal journey, but we're also gathering and sharing information and encouragement.

I'd go back to the basics again. Hopefully you've continued taking your vitamins and supplements? If not, you may want to have your doctor run some lab work to see if you're getting enough nutrients from what you've been doing the past couple of years.

I see from the replies to your initial post that there are other ladies in the same situation, or close to it, as you. I'd request them to become your friends here so you can commiserate, but more importantly, encourage each other and share successes.

I'm just glad to see you reaching out to others. Keep it up, k? Wishing you the best, Janis