If I could do it all over again...

Options
Hey beautiful mamas!!

So, I will be leaving this group since I have stopped breastfeeding (it has been about 6 months) but I wanted to leave you all with a few things that I learned.

I joined MFP in August 2012 which was about 3 months after I had my last child. I say last because we are definitely done having kids :) I made the commitment to him to breastfed for 1 full year. During that time however, I desperately tried to lose weight. I ate more, I ate less, I worked out more, I worked out less, I tried counting my breastfeeding calories, I stopped counting them, you get the point...

Anyway if I could do it all over again I would have stopped weighing myself, worked out for my mental health (which, lets face it ladies, these hormones can be a B****) and spent more time enjoying the beautiful bond I was creating instead of thinking "yay, when I stop the weight is just going to fall off me!!" which it does by the way!! I lost 5lbs in 6 weeks not changing anything. Then I lost another three by working out more efficiently (think HIIT and strength training instead of long cardio sessions) and eating more food. Right now the scale is going down very slowly (about 2lbs a month) and I am eating about 2000 to 2300 cals and am SO so so happy because I love food!!

The moral of the story: Don't stress, don't over think it, just know that you are doing an amazing thing for your babies (a gift only you can give them) and just enjoy every moment of breastfeeding because when it is done you are truly going to miss it.

Be well ladies and enjoy this wonderful journey!!
Kelly :)

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that! I am 4 months into BFing my second and last baby (I did not EBF the first time) and intend to do it for a year. I'm really stressing over the weight but am slowly coming to terms with it. I really appreciate your perspective because it's just not worth it! I should enjoy this because it does not last forever.

Thanks again!!!
  • kdt8810
    kdt8810 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your insight. I'm eight months in and it seems no matter what I do those last 15 pounds are sticking to me like glue. Just yesterday I decided to buy a few pants that actually fit me and to stop stressing about the weight. I'll still eat properly and exercise but I need to stop obsessing. Your post was exactly what I needed to read!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Kelly - you're wonderful! Thank you so much for this really important reminder :) I wish all my mama friends would read it!!!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's true. Thanks for the reminder! It's quite hard not to stress about the weight though--especially as someone with a life-long obsession with food/body issues. I actually try to separate the two (breastfeeding and weight loss) in my mind, if that makes any sense. I also think that even if BFing is causing me to hold onto fat longer, it's also inspiring me to make much healthier eating/living choices as I take care of my son.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I love this, and you make such important points :flowerforyou:
  • DarthPato
    Options
    So true! I don't tend to lose much when I'm bf and it can be so frustrating. So being reminded to put things in perspective and focus on the important things is helpful!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! Best of luck to you and your family!
  • motherjuly31
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! I am currently BFing my 5th and last baby and I was starting to stress about the weight loss but I have decided that I will never get this back but I have years and years to work on my body! Thank you for putting into perspective again for me!
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful and very well said! When I first started working out, I felt guilty, even if it were for an hour of my time. I would have rather spent that one hour of my time with my beautiful daughter while she was still so little!

Well... I am SUPER happy I did! I didn't stress much over it all and I am thankful for that = )
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! Such wonderful points. I'm coming up on a year bf'ing (and I'm not really sure I see an end in site...)

It's important to take a step back and enjoy the experience. It won't last forever. :) Congrats on your bf'ing journey and all the best to you and your family!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I linked to this in a response to someone else and just wanted to bump it :heart: