How do you log?

Options
I am trying to figure out a system for logging both my food and my BG levels that I can actually stick with. ;) If you have any suggestions, I'd be grateful!!

Replies

• RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I log my FBS in my notes and log all my foods on the food diary
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    ^ I do this as well, but also log my readings under "Check-In" It's easy to add an additional measurement (just follow the link "track additional measurements" and then I'm able to run reports.
  • josephlangen
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, about a month and a half ago. I have been reading furiously everything I can get my hands on. Jenny Ruhl's books on blood sugar and low carb diets make the most sense to me. I track my eating with My Fitness Pal and print out weekly summaries. In the mean time I decided that testing did not make much sense unless I had a goal for what to do with the results. My initial A1c was 7.1 and my bg all over the place.I decided to aim for A1c below 6.0, fasting glucose of 120 and after meal bg of 140 max. I decided to track each meal for a week. Last week I tested when I got up and before I went to bed. I also tested before breakfast, one hour and two hours later. This week I am doing the same with lunch. I have been having some of my usual meals. After I finish with all the meals, I will start experimenting with new foods to see how they affect my bg. It has been an interesting journey so far. I log my bg separately and enter the readings in the relevant places on my food diary. I also decided that the 210 carbs a day suggested by a nutritionist seemed too high for me to lose weight or control bg. My goals seem optimistic, but I always have been an optimist. Hope this helps

Joe
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I found and/or created "Foods" for tracking my meter readings and I put them right into my diary where they'll be most useful to me. This way I can see at a glance how I react to specific meals.

The "foods" I use are are:
    Cpl - Fasting Blood Glucose (for my morning reading - I enter it before I put in anything else, so I can see how each day started)
    Generic - Blood Glucose - Pre-Meal (I enter it before putting in any of the actual meal, for a baseline for the post-meal readings)
    Generic - Blood Glucose - 1 Hour Pp (For testing an hour after eating - I enter it under the heading of the meal I just ate)
    Generic - Blood Glucose - 2 Hours Pp (Same as above, except two hours post-prandial instead of one)

If you just type "blood glucose" into the food database search line, you'll find lots of other examples that people have set up.

If there's any extra information that I think might have a bearing on my readings, I put it in the notes (i.e. if a meal was early/late, if I was ill, when I exercised in relation to readings, etc.)

Well, at least this is how I do it in theory. I don't usually test before and after most meals, mainly because I lose track of time and forget to take the readings. :( I'm going to have to start setting an alarm or something, since it really is my goal to test this way until I get my numbers firmly under control.