Bicycle Helmets...

Options
emaren
emaren Posts: 934 Member
My GF is a surgeon at a local University Hospital.

Yesterday she spent almost 14hours in theatre dealing with a head injury.

A teenager fell from his bicycle when the helmet straps got tangled in the front wheel and he head-butted the ground. He apparently carried his helmet on the handlebars as he did not want his hair to be messy at school.

The good news....
- He is still alive today
- He should live
- He did not hurt anyone else.
- He should retain the sight in his right eye

The less good news.
- He has a significant brain injury
- A significant piece of his cranium is now in a jar
- His left eye was damaged beyond repair.
- His face and scalp is a big mess.
-Reconstruction of his eye socket was partially done yesterday but he needs a lot more.
- His medical bills hit half a million before lunch time yesterday
- The boy is/was a scholar athlete.

Recovery time will be measured in months, he will need a number of additional procedures over the comping months. It is way too early to tell just how big an impact this will have on him, beyond the physical issues and the scarring, he will almost certainly have a change to his personality and will require extensive re-hab for the next few years.

Personally i always wear a helmet. It is up to you if you do or don't, but if you choose not to, try not to further endanger yourself by hanging it on the handlebars in such a way as the straps can get tangled....

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you've ever put your bike down at 20 mph you know the value of a good helmet.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You should put this as a blog post so that more people see it. It's very important.
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I live in rural Louisiana and PPE is "sissy stuff" even on 4 wheelers etc.. but i faithfully strap on my helmet because I love my brain and my family. My cousin was on motorcycle without helmet and a car pulled out in front of him. After weeks of being close to death..he has half his skull gone and a totally different personality with disabilities. It's worth the extra effort to protect yourself.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Well today her team spent the best part of 8 more hours on him today following an 'event' that caused him to be rushed back to theatre.

The prognosis is fairly optimistic, he has survived 24 hours, which is generally a very good sign in cases like this.

At this point, this is about all of the positives that there is...
  • Spudnut72
    Spudnut72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I live in Brisbane, Australia and it is compulsory to wear a bike helmet on public roads and bike paths. (Laws introduced in 1992 and a $75 fine for non-compliance). After being knocked from by bike by a car in my late teens and surviving with nothing more than a bruised ego and wrecked bike I have worn a helmet ever since. Not much statistical evidence to back up whether the laws have made a great deal of difference but I feel far more comfortable and would not let my kids ride without a helmet.
    If one life was saved by a helmet then the law has been effective.
  • CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Where i live, bike helmets are mandatory for anyone under the age of 18 and recommended for those over 18. However, being an adult doesn't magically protect my head in cases of collisions or falls. I always wear my helmet when i ride, even if it is just to the local bakery.

Sadly, most of the people i see without helmets appear to be under the age of 18. i just wish that there were tickets issued to those not wearing a helmet. It is the law, and it protects your brain from injuries. Never mind the coolness factor, i just think about survival.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I need a good helmet, I'd appreciate some suggestions on brands styles and what kind of scale are they graded on?
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ironic that a helmet caused his injury. Always wear a helmet while riding a bike, it might look "uncool" but it can definitely save your life! Yes...even riding slowly cause **** happens. I personally like ProTech helmets. They fit more securely on my head and more of my head is covered. Yeah it's not too breathable, but I don't care.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I need a good helmet, I'd appreciate some suggestions on brands styles and what kind of scale are they graded on?

In the States they all meet the same safety standards, so it's mostly about looks/fit/personal choice. Because I've fallen a few times--as has my husband--we tend to buy less expensive ones from Target so we don't feel as guilty replacing them after even the smallest fall. I think my current one is a Bell.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Ouch, ouch, ouch! :noway:

Silly boy!

At least he's still with us, but he'll have the rest of his life to regret not putting his helmet on :cry:

Hope he gets better (or at least a better quality of life) with the right amount or rehab! :frown:
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My helmet has saved my life once and prevented brain injury once.
    I did an endo at 20mph and landed on my head. My helmet was destroyed and the paramedics said it probably saved my life. I walked away with some road rash and a concussion.
    The second time, I misjudged a jump and landed facing straight down. Took most of the force on my shoulder, resulting in a third degree separation and surgery, but the doctor said if it weren't for my helmet, I could have had a serious head injury.
    I never get on my bike without my helmet anymore.
    Hope this kid makes it without any long lasting brain damage.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options

Go try a range of 'em on - get one that fits and is comfortable, so you're more likely to wear it. Recommending a particular type makes no more sense than recommending a type of saddle or shoe - it's all down to personal fit and comfort.
  • ghost15026
    Options

Safety-wise, all major brands of helmets meet the same safety standards (which, I believe, is Snell). 99% of helmets are made from EPS foam. This hasn't really changed in something like 20-30 years because no one has found a more effective material.

Designs change a bit but they're functionally the same for protection. A $15 Bell helmet protects the same as a $250 Specialized brain bucket. The price premiums on helmets are due to aerodynamics, comfort, aesthetics, and other non-protective features.

I listened to a radio program (or maybe watched something on TV - its been a while) that discussed the history and the engineering of helmets. Incredibly informative despite demonstrating how boring I can be.

I started with a Bell helmet, which was perfectly fine. I love my Rudy Project helm more because of the looks and the quick-adjustment dials. The only reason I have an RP is it came with my insanely overpriced prescription sunglasses.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Go try a range of 'em on - get one that fits and is comfortable, so you're more likely to wear it. Recommending a particular type makes no more sense than recommending a type of saddle or shoe - it's all down to personal fit and comfort.

^^ This. Go to a bike shop which stocks a decent range of lids :smile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old niece ended up with a concision while wearing a helmet. I have to wonder if she was wearing it correctly. My kids are always pushing theirs up. So make sure you (and your kids) are not only always wearing a helmet but wearing it correctly.

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/safety-wellness/bike-helmet-safety/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

I tend to stick with Giro and Bell as they are cheaper ($30 to $50). Some helmets are over $150!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old niece ended up with a concision while wearing a helmet. I have to wonder if she was wearing it correctly. My kids are always pushing theirs up. So make sure you (and your kids) are not only always wearing a helmet but wearing it correctly.

I always see people wearing them on the backs of their heads instead of down on their foreheads. Usually it's a parent wearing it right and the kid wearing it wrong. I was happy to see a dad at my daughter's school yesterday lecturing his kid on how to properly wear his helmet.

I have to say that I have seen more than one person on the bike path with their helmet on backwards. *facepalm
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

I always see people wearing them on the backs of their heads instead of down on their foreheads. Usually it's a parent wearing it right and the kid wearing it wrong. I was happy to see a dad at my daughter's school yesterday lecturing his kid on how to properly wear his helmet.

I have to say that I have seen more than one person on the bike path with their helmet on backwards. *facepalm

I have to constantly correct the girls about it.

I've also seen backward helmets on adults. I really don't know how people even do that.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options

I have to constantly correct the girls about it.

I've also seen backward helmets on adults. I really don't know how people even do that.

Darwin in Action... don't correct 'em, the global gene pool is better without 'em...
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I decided to replace my helmet last week after my 35yr old nephew was in a mt. bike accident.
    His helmet split into, he was knocked out for about 30min. He may still lose his ear, to say nothing of road rash, ect. An "angel" happened to see him & called 911.
    I'll never ride w/o a helmet & may start using my motorcycle helmet in the woods.