Options
redredy9
redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
Is one month away!

Are you IN?

How are you feeling?

Local or traveling in for the race?

Were you in training for 2012 too?

I am feeling so ready/not ready. I was feeling unmotivated earlier in training but luckily got my mojo back! I am racing a half this weekend then doing my second and final 20 on the 12th. I was in training for 2012 too so this race has been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time coming!

Replies

• keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am running NYC! I had been in the lottery in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 would have been my guaranteed entry year... then Sandy came along. So, I deferred. That brings us to November 3, 2013.

I am ready and plan to stay with a friend in South Salem, NY prior to the race, then we are taking a bus to the NY Public Library from Stratford, CT. Since the bus back home wants all runners with 5 hours or better finishing times to take alternative transportation home, we'll be taking the train back to CT. I expect to finish sub-4, but my friends will be 5+ and 6+ for sure.

I ran the Lehigh Valley Health VIA Marathon in September (3:48:49) and just completed the Tower of Terror 10 Miler in Disney this weekend. I was supposed to run the Towpath Marathon this weekend in Cleveland, but it is being postponed until November 3 or 9 due to the government shut down... it is run in a National Park.
  • redredy9
    Options
    I am running NYC! I had been in the lottery in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 would have been my guaranteed entry year... then Sandy came along. So, I deferred. That brings us to November 3, 2013.

I am ready and plan to stay with a friend in South Salem, NY prior to the race, then we are taking a bus to the NY Public Library from Stratford, CT. Since the bus back home wants all runners with 5 hours or better finishing times to take alternative transportation home, we'll be taking the train back to CT. I expect to finish sub-4, but my friends will be 5+ and 6+ for sure.

I ran the Lehigh Valley Health VIA Marathon in September (3:48:49) and just completed the Tower of Terror 10 Miler in Disney this weekend. I was supposed to run the Towpath Marathon this weekend in Cleveland, but it is being postponed until November 3 or 9 due to the government shut down... it is run in a National Park.

Congrats on finally getting in and on your other marathons. 3:48! You are fast! I am hoping for a 4:50 so you'll be half way back to CT by the time I cross the finish line! LOL. :laugh:
  • keenho
    Options
    Thank you very much! NYC will be my 23rd marathon, I've also run 28 half marathons since I started running in 2001. It would be great to meet you in NYC, but the chances of that will be slim since there will be thousands of others there with us. Let's keep in touch here and share our corral/color placements once they are announced. Best of luck in the race!
  • keenho
    Options
    ONLY 12 DAYS TO GO!!! Woo Hoo!!!!
  • redredy9
    Options
    i am feeling nervous but ready! You are a marathon pro: Any last minute advice?

I've run 2 and some how always over pack my fuel belt and yet still manage to forget something even if I've laid it out the night before! :noway:
  • keenho
    Options
    I'm getting a bit antsy about this one myself, but not for the miles, but due to the logistics of getting into and out of the city for the packet pick up and the race itself. Plus, this will be the largest field of runners by far.. over 45,000?!!

As far as what to take/pack, take what you're used to taking on your long runs. There will be water stations on the course, so I'm not going to carry liquids. I'll have a nice selection of GUs and supplements, along with some Hammer Endurolyte tablets so I can avoid cramping later on in the race. I want to avoid that at all costs.

If it helps you to make a list of things now to take with you, you can update it as you remember things up until race time. The most important things for me are: GUs, Nutrition Bars (cut up), Band-Aids (feet and nips), Body Glide, and clothes that are appropriate to the conditions. What that is, who knows until we get there. I'm in Blue Wave 3, Corral #38. I've been looking forward to this race for quite some time.
  • keenho
    Options
    How did the NYC Marathon go for you? I am really pleased with my effort out there! I finished with a time of 3:54:59, 8:58 pace. I thought the race was amazing and the course support was unparalleled!
  • redredy9
    Options
    It was so amazing!

I was a lot slower than I hoped 5:03 vs. 4:50 which is weird because its the first time I can honestly say I ran the whole way - i didn't even walk through the water stations. I ran with one of my training partners and we kept our splits pretty even. We started slow with the intention of picking it up but never really picked it up! LOL.

I loved every minute of it (except miles 23.5 - 26.2+). I hated not being able to sit down after the race and having to walk for what seemed like ages in the cold to get a poncho. I read that they ran out of ponchos for some of the 5:45+ runners so I guess i should be thankful. The volunteers were so wonderful, especially the Poncho people. I don't think I had the strength at that point to get it on myself.

I've never been so sore after a marathon though and I am convinced its because I couldn't sit right away. Tuesday after a couple hot showers and a massage I was fine though. I am taking a week off running but feel great!

I can't wait for next year. I want to improve my time and get some NYCM redemption. I also want to run Chicago though so I might have to decide which is going to be my "race"
  • keenho
    Options
    Great job! Glad it was such a great experience for you! I hope you get your redemption and/or a shot at the Chicago Marathon.

I ran the Disney World Wine & Dine Half this past Saturday evening (10 PM), just 6 days after NYC. I ran well, finishing in 1:45:23, 7:57 pace. I felt fine and was pretty much 100% recovered from NYC. This coming weekend I'm running the Philadelphia Marathon.
  • long2know
    long2know Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Last to the party... but I ran NYC with a time of 04:18:20. It was a moving experience!
  • redredy9
    Options
    This coming weekend I'm running the Philadelphia Marathon.

I was at the Philly Marathon spectating at a few different places along the course. I might have seen you! Congrats!

@Long2know: Always wecome. Congrats!

This year I'll be doing Chicago instead of NYC. Whoot!