when cycling interferes with life

Options
2»

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    'you never spend any time with me' which quite frankly does my head in lol...

:lol: If I had a fiver for every time I heard that!

:grumble: :huh:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Life has interfered with my cycling. I used to ride about 50 miles a week but now I'm in love with a mountain biker. It's a hard compromise to make us both happy. Now we mostly do city riding on the weekends. Fort a while it bothered me but I have rediscovered my love of riding for the sake of riding, and not just for training and pushing myself. I love those long, tough rides and I will get back to them soon but finding a man that will ride with me for fun has been amazing. My ex was a roadie but he used to leave me in the dust on every. single. ride. I think I can handle sacrificing a few miles to have a joy ride with the man I love.
  • AZCycle
    AZCycle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was an avid cyclist (both road and mountain but mostly mtb) after I went through a heart-breaking divorce. It was what kept me sane. I'd get 150+ miles in/week and lived that lifestyle. When I met my NEW wife, mileage decreased a bit just because I wasn't the only one to think about, but I still got a lot of miles in. Then, last October, my little boy was born.

And I've hardly ridden since. I went from the above mileage to MAYBE 20-miles per week in for the first 6-months. A youngun' like that just sucks so much time and energy. Not complaining, it's a wonderful trade-off but I did miss my bikes. And man, I got out of shape! I didn't gain too much weight, but my endurance just tanked.

Now that he is older and sleeping through the nights, I'm starting to find a better balance and one that doesn't have me gone for hours at a time. I'm a morning person anyway so I get up early and go for a mtb ride and am usually home before the wife and boy are even awake. I'm also commuting to work a lot more now so I get some road miles in. Also just bought a kid-hauler bike trailer, and aired up the tires on the wife's bike. We've been cruising the neighborhood with the boy in tow, so that's nice. Slow, casual miles but it's still on two-wheels out in fresh air.

But yes... the 40-mile long epic rides and weekend mountain bike camping/beer-drinking events are a thing of the past ... at least until the ankle-biter is old enough to enjoy camping. :)
  • AZCycle
    AZCycle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Life has interfered with my cycling. I used to ride about 50 miles a week but now I'm in love with a mountain biker. It's a hard compromise to make us both happy. Now we mostly do city riding on the weekends. Fort a while it bothered me but I have rediscovered my love of riding for the sake of riding, and not just for training and pushing myself. I love those long, tough rides and I will get back to them soon but finding a man that will ride with me for fun has been amazing. My ex was a roadie but he used to leave me in the dust on every. single. ride. I think I can handle sacrificing a few miles to have a joy ride with the man I love.

Nothing annoys me more than seeing "significant others" left behind on rides. I see this so often and can't imagine ever doing that to my wife. So I'm glad you found a guy that won't do that!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I was an avid cyclist (both road and mountain but mostly mtb) after I went through a heart-breaking divorce. It was what kept me sane. I'd get 150+ miles in/week and lived that lifestyle. When I met my NEW wife, mileage decreased a bit just because I wasn't the only one to think about, but I still got a lot of miles in. Then, last October, my little boy was born.

And I've hardly ridden since. I went from the above mileage to MAYBE 20-miles per week in for the first 6-months. A youngun' like that just sucks so much time and energy. Not complaining, it's a wonderful trade-off but I did miss my bikes. And man, I got out of shape! I didn't gain too much weight, but my endurance just tanked.

Now that he is older and sleeping through the nights, I'm starting to find a better balance and one that doesn't have me gone for hours at a time. I'm a morning person anyway so I get up early and go for a mtb ride and am usually home before the wife and boy are even awake. I'm also commuting to work a lot more now so I get some road miles in. Also just bought a kid-hauler bike trailer, and aired up the tires on the wife's bike. We've been cruising the neighborhood with the boy in tow, so that's nice. Slow, casual miles but it's still on two-wheels out in fresh air.

But yes... the 40-mile long epic rides and weekend mountain bike camping/beer-drinking events are a thing of the past ... at least until the ankle-biter is old enough to enjoy camping. :)

Laundry basket = tent crib, just FYI.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Here is a prime example of some of the challenges that have been brought up in his thread: My boyfriend has been in Kazakhstan on business for a month. He will be here this weekend before heading back out of town on Monday for 11 days. This weekend also happens to be the date of a two-day, 100-mile bike event that I have done every year for like 8 years. He is a little butt-hurt that I am going to do the bike event this weekend of all weekends, but I really can't wrap my head around skipping it. So it is what it is.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    ATM I have a good balance between biking and family life, I ride on my day off during the week while hubby is in work and kids are in school and on a Saturday morning while my hubby and son are at tennis and my daughter spends quality time with her nanny so it's a win win for all of us ????
  • cyclistphil
    cyclistphil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I definetly have this porblem myself. I am an avid cyclist. During the season which turns out to be all the time at this point I spend anywhere from 8 to 20 hours a week on my bike. I have a wife and a 4 year old at home. During the summer time when training for some big races I was riding aroudn 300 miles a week. However I cant imagine not riding at this point. Some events or races have made life and scheduling very difficult at home. I would say the best thing I have done is to try and spend as much time with family as possible during recovery days and also during off season. When It gets dar early I spend allot of time on the trainer so at least I am home. I definetly dont have this figured out yet, but I do my best to spend any not riding time with family.
  • jerbsod
    Options
    Here is a prime example of some of the challenges that have been brought up in his thread: My boyfriend has been in Kazakhstan on business for a month. He will be here this weekend before heading back out of town on Monday for 11 days. This weekend also happens to be the date of a two-day, 100-mile bike event that I have done every year for like 8 years. He is a little butt-hurt that I am going to do the bike event this weekend of all weekends, but I really can't wrap my head around skipping it. So it is what it is.
    Seriously, your BF goes in Kaz for 11 days and he resents you doing a yearly event cause he is only home 3 days?
    LoL
    I fail to see how this is your problem, unless yu gave him a hard time about the 11 days away :laugh: