Lots of Exercise, No Weight loss??

Options
ptammyw
ptammyw Posts: 27 Member
Hello! Exercise lover here, really really hoping to lose weight and drop body fat...hoping to get some much needed advice.

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)
5'2", 130 lbs, 38 yo, 26% BF (calipers)

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?
Aiming for 1550, but in reality intake varies widely from 1100-2000. (On some of the low calorie days in my diary, I was trying intermittent fasting.)

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)
Protein 90 g, carbs 150-200 g, fats 50 g

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
Yes, I have a food scale but measure about 75% of the time

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
Yes (even the bad stuff)

Do you take cheat days or days off?
No days off unless I'm on vacation. I do end up inadvertently cheating some, mostly on the weekends.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
No weight lost in past 6 months, just gaining/losing the same 5 pounds

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months?
Monday: run 10 min., lift 60 min.
Tuesday: rest
Wed: Spin class 60 min.
Thu: Run (or swim) 30 min., Lift 60 min, tennis class
Fri: Run 15 min, Spin class 60 min, Barre class 60 min.
Sat: run 10 min., Lift 60 min., tennis 60 min.
Sun: run 15 min, spin class 60 min., tennis 60 min.
I started Strong Lifts 2 months ago; before then, my lifting was a upper/lower split routine. My day job involves light walking around the office. I don't log my calories from exercise since I'm using TDEE-20% method.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
I lost about 10 lbs a few years ago with lots of running and 1200 calories. Of course, I regained the weight (and then some?) Now despite my exercising, I can't lose the weight (so cliche, I know...). Haven't lost weight in probably a year.

Are you breastfeeding? No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS? No

I know intellectually that I can't out-train a bad diet, so I've been trying so hard to eat well. I want to stick to a high protein/low carb diet but find that nearly impossible to do in reality. I have thought about cutting back on exercise and focusing more on calories/macros, but truthfully I really really enjoy working out (love the endorphins).

I feel stuck because I'm burning a lot of calories, only to see the scale stay the same (or go up...) Your thoughts and advice are much needed and much appreciated!! Thank you in advance for you help!!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What ^^ they said
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Has your weight changed at all in the past 4 months?

Specifically, if you lost a few lbs over the summer and gained it back in the past couple of months, or anything along those lines, please let us know.
  • ptammyw
    Options
    I was down to 127ish around 4th of July. Then summer vacation season hit and I was looser with my diet for about 1 month. When I returned my weight increased to 135 (some was water I imagine/hope). When I came back, I started strong lifts in early August. Since then, I've gotten down to 128.8 on my best day, but mostly I hover around 130.

Random side note, I had been lifting with a upper/lower split from Jan-July, relatively heavy. Since starting SL, I'm certainly lifting much heavier and "feel" more muscular (not sure I look it .) But to my horror, my core/waist/hips seem wider. Have you heard of this? Can heavy squats and DL cause a thicker waist? Sigh, I'm grasping at straws here...

Thanks again for your feedback! It means a lot to me :) !!!
  • ptammyw
    Options
    Hello! Just checking in to see if you have any thoughts for me. Thanks!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hello! Just checking in to see if you have any thoughts for me. Thanks!!

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay on this.

I went back and reviewed this thread along with your information and there's a few changes I'd like to make for the next two weeks. You will need to do your best to commit to these changes and reply in two weeks with an update. The thread will be locked, so please copy the thread URL and save it somewhere and when you need the thread unlocked you can PM me (or Sarauk2sf).

First and of the greatest importance: You need to use your food scale regularly and you need to log everything. I get that people may not be able to do this for life, and that's fine and good, but dedicate at least two weeks to this please. It is very likely that you are eating more calories than you think. (For home-made meals make sure you are using the recipe builder, use a food scale for food quantity instead of using cups/volume).

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Second, please set your calorie and macronutrient intake as follows for the next two weeks. Please keep in mind that you need to execute BOTH of these steps. If you switch your macros to the below and you do not accurately track/measure, you're not as likely to get favorable results from this.

1350 kcals
    110 carbohydrate
    50 fat
    115 protein

Please reply to this thread when you're clear on the above and I'll lock the thread.
  • ptammyw
    Options
    Okay, I will do my best to stick to both aspects of the plan. I'll report back in 2 weeks. Thanks!
  • 22sep2013
    22sep2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Isn't that too much exercise?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Isn't that too much exercise?

Not necessarily. We like to get a good idea of caloric intake before recommending any other changes usually, if we feel warranted.