Where did you fail with the overhead press?

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
I am a newbie. I studied for a few weeks, bought my stuff in mid June (no gym access), practiced for a week and started in earnest July 1.

The dead lift and barbell row are still pretty easy. THe bench press isn't too hard yet. The squat always surprises me. I think I will struggle next session but then I get through it pretty much just like the last time. The overhead press though is soon going to get me.

I just got done 5x5 with 70 lbs and i JUST so got it done. Shaking and grunting on the last two. If it doesn't get me next time it will VERY soon.

I am curious when you just started out at what weight did you first fail the overhead press?

Replies

• kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My first official fail on the OHP was at 85, though to be honest I was cheating (with some hip and knee bounce) at 80. I made it the second time, got through 90, then failed again at 95, made *that* the second time, and have failed twice at 100. I'm fairly certain I'll have to deload after my next attempt. And I may deload 20% because I just filmed myself, and my form is atrocious.

I'm also in a fairly significant calorie deficit, so I expect the others to start dropping soon.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • felipejose74
    felipejose74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Failed at 75. Got some fractal plates, went down to 65 and will be at 75 for my workout tomorrow. Given how i did at 72.5, i should blow through it without any problems. I've learned that failing is really how you make your gains. Drop the weight, refine your technique and hit it stronger moving forward.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think 105 for me. However, I also didn't feel it was pretty enough form lol. I dropped to 95lbs, adjusting form and grip. I honestly feel it much better and after 2 rounds at 95, i feel better about moving into 100 and going from there.
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well my first fail on OHP was at 75, then 80, then 90 and still working back up to 95...overhead sucks balls but i am gonna keep doing it gotta put the pride aside on this one even though it sucks when squat and deads are over 3 bills and OHP aint even of a c-note....what can I say other than KEEP BANGIN!! i'll get there eventually!
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Well my first fail on OHP was at 75, then 80, then 90 and still working back up to 95...overhead sucks balls but i am gonna keep doing it gotta put the pride aside on this one even though it sucks when squat and deads are over 3 bills and OHP aint even of a c-note....what can I say other than KEEP BANGIN!! i'll get there eventually!

Are you serious? You are squatting over 300 and OHP <100?

If so that makes me feel SO much better! Tonight I squatted 105, benched 75 and rowed 95 with "relative" ease but I am about 99% sure I will fail Friday OHP @ 75.

"relative" means it wasn't "easy" but it was no harder than the last 6 sessions in comparative.

Thanks!
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    So, some thoughts. I just banged out 5x5 at 100lbs tonight. I did adjust width, grip and form a few workouts ago. After a few workouts back at 95, the 100 didn't feel so bad. Still tough, but got full 5x5. We will see at 105 I guess. I would say to look closely at your body position, grip width, and grip position. Check your elbows too. And finally, don't be afraid to go lighter to achieve good form. Being in routine is good, but the problem with it is our body and mind will get complacent with what we're doing. Guess all I am saying is take a moment to check what your doing. And don't be afraid to drop some weight to relearn if needed. It will pay off IMO. Said it last night on my wall. Two steps forward, one step back, still gets you ahead.

As for OHP being lower, kinda makes sense to me. Almost every exercise in 5X5 is geared towards major muscle groups (legs, chest ect). Shoulders definitely being the smallest in the bunch. I also think there is less muscle groups involved, probably triceps being the biggest helper in OHP. So to me, stands to reason why they are so difficult for most and smaller numbers. Like my man Elcabra said. Put the pride aside. This *kitten* is going to pay off.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    180 ish. breaking 200 was a B*@ch!

Technically I wasn't on the standard Stronglifts program when that happened. I'd moved on to the intermediate Mad Cow version when that happened, and it took Wendler's 5/3/1 to break 200.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I started Aug. 1st, nearly failed at 100 lbs this morning. The last rep wasn't pretty. I'm gonna video my next B workout.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    OP here.

I failed @ 80 the first try but got it up on the second. Then I failed @ 85 but got it up BARELY on the second attempt last night. I see lots of fails coming soon since I am eating at a deficit.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    OP here.

I failed @ 80 the first try but got it up on the second. Then I failed @ 85 but got it up BARELY on the second attempt last night. I see lots of fails coming soon since I am eating at a deficit.

I'm doing 16/8 Intermittent Fasting, working out fasted, and not sure about how much I should be eating. I've been thinking about working out in the evening between meals but the morning is so much more convienient. I'd like to gain a little muscle, loose a little fat, not too worried about the scale, just scared to eat too much. I lost 48 pounds and don't want to gain any fat.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at 160lbs for a couple of weeks, but almost got my 3x5 the other day (5,5,4). That was technically my third attempt at it and my second deloading to get back to it... but I think I will give it at least one or two more workouts before I shift to 1x5 on it.
  • ShakeyMcGee
    Options
    3 stalls at 115, deloaded to 100, now stalled twice at 125.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I failed ohp early and often. I just reached 90lbs for the second time and knocked it out after adjusting grip and width. It is certainly the most difficult lift of the program. What boggles my mind is failing with (what I believe is) adequate recovery time and an energy surplus?
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Failed on the fourth set of 110 this morning. Only got 4 reps on the 4th and 5th sets.
    This was my second workout taking BCAAs, Yohimbe HCl, and Jack3D before working out. I'll try again on Sunday.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Well I failed last Sunday, only got 4 on the last set. I couldn't get my workout in yesterday morning but last night I got 110 5X5 (that was the third try). Hopefully won't stall immediately at 115.
  • LowellHolliday
    Options
    I stalled on the OHP Monday at 100lbs; 5, 5, 4, 4, 2. This is my third stall but all have been at a different weight as I teld to get the one after the stall. I'm getting frustrated with this exercise. I have fractional plates so I think that after I deload I will be only going up by 2.5 lbs per workout. Has anyone else used smaller increments with good results?

Also, I'm starting to get really sore as the weight is increasing all over in week 10.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Have you ever considered joining the strong lifts inner circle? I know it can get pricey just for access to a website, but I have to say I love it and think it is worth every penny. Every single member is willing to answer questions and help, plus you always get some great stuff from Mehdi, I think I am getting a pdf of how to help your OHP, can't really pass all the info on but I might be able to give a few pointers once I read it.
  • LowellHolliday
    Options
    I am not joining the inner circle, there is no way I can afford to do that. I don't expect you to pass on the information either as that wouldn't be right. Once I can get set up to do videos I hope that this forum will help me out.
  • HelllYeaHH
    HelllYeaHH Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm at 30kg (65lbs?) and feel that I'm about to fail on the OHP. My right arm seems to manage but my left is starting to fall behind. All the other stuff is still pretty easy.