Paleo type article

Options

Replies

• nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good read. I watched a documentary (can't remember where) about a native american tribe doing a similar thing to rid themselves of obesity and diabetes etc.

I posted this a while ago http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/166156603?access_key=key-1qn0h4b3fk673he6gd4s&allow_share=true&view_mode=scroll along the same lines about New Zealand Polynesians
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    That is a great story. I hope he chooses to make it life-long, not just for the documentary. When Inuit people see the change in me and ask me what i did I say "eat your country foods, lots of fat. Stop eating stuff from the store especially wheat and sugar."

I don't know about his choice to avoid salt. All aboriginals took advantage of natural salt deposits. I avoid table salt but I use a lot of Himalayan and sea salt.

I'm so glad that he addressed the bannock issue. I get so tired of bannock (and tea) being referred to as "traditional foods". I can respect that it is a NEW tradition but it should be recognized as such and not regarded as healthful because it's "traditional". Wheat fried in Crisco- no, not healthy, not traditional. I do my best to encourage my friends to go back to frying bannock in lard, at the very least.

The health professionals here don't help the situation at all. They push the inuit to eat grains, rice and beans, even though it makes them sick, and tell them to limit meat and avoid fat... but then say "yes, country foods are healthy". But country foods here are ALL fat and meat! Such a confusing message. Some people my age and older still eat lots of country food, but the younger generation won't eat anything but junk.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That is a great story. I hope he chooses to make it life-long, not just for the documentary. When Inuit people see the change in me and ask me what i did I say "eat your country foods, lots of fat. Stop eating stuff from the store especially wheat and sugar."

I don't know about his choice to avoid salt. All aboriginals took advantage of natural salt deposits. I avoid table salt but I use a lot of Himalayan and sea salt.

I'm so glad that he addressed the bannock issue. I get so tired of bannock (and tea) being referred to as "traditional foods". I can respect that it is a NEW tradition but it should be recognized as such and not regarded as healthful because it's "traditional". Wheat fried in Crisco- no, not healthy, not traditional. I do my best to encourage my friends to go back to frying bannock in lard, at the very least.

The health professionals here don't help the situation at all. They push the inuit to eat grains, rice and beans, even though it makes them sick, and tell them to limit meat and avoid fat... but then say "yes, country foods are healthy". But country foods here are ALL fat and meat! Such a confusing message. Some people my age and older still eat lots of country food, but the younger generation won't eat anything but junk.

According to the comments, the "no salt" thing was actually "no table salt." Sea salt and what can be found in the salt deposits I think are still okay.