Finished, although the universe was plotting against me.

Options
CherylP67
CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
Here is my graduation story. Not as perfect as I'd hoped. I was bummed my phone died, because I had a great pace and was going to make sure I did a full 5k. I considered going home and redoing this run again, but I decided to push through and not worry about mileage. I cut and copied this from what i posted on Facebook.

I have to vent for a moment.

Today was supposed to be a glorious day, after starting a couch to 5k program 7 times in the past 3 years, I finally got past week 3. Today's run was week 9, run 3... THE LAST RUN! As I'm running, my phone dies, even though I had it on the charger all night. Great... I just keep running using my watch to know when to stop.

I get home and the door is locked, the kids know to leave the door unlocked when I run, I usually pass them on our street when I'm on the way home. No worries, I have an extra key, hidden, I go to get it and its not there.

I'm locked outside with no phone. It's 45 degrees and I'm wearing shorts, which is comfortable while running, but not after you cool down. I have no choice but to walk to Natalie's school to get the key. I take a short cut through a field, we had a bunch of rain recently so my feet are now wet and freezing. I walk into the school squish squish... Page Natalie down to the office, she looks at me with horror, I'm sure I've embarrassed her, because I look ROUGH.

I plod home, through the wet grass, I can't feel my toes, they're so cold. I get in the house to discover that a child borrowed the part of my phone charger that plugs into the wall, the cord was laying where it always is, so. my phone never charged.

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for finishing C25K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that the last run was such a let down, but you finished! Hooray!

I admit I might have been a bit annoyed with the kids though. :grumble:
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I love your story. It is so much more interesting than "I'm done!".

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing!

Hopefully the kids will remember about the door in the future, if only to avoid having one rough lookin' mama showing up at school looking for the spare key....
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story! Congratulations on finishing C25K!! What a great feeling that is.

I think the kids will remember to keep the door unlocked in future (or return the spare key when they borrow it). :laugh:
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! I recently just finished c25k, too. I know how it must feel! I actually had to redo the last day, it was so hard on my first try, completed on the second try.

Sorry to be laughing at your demise, but the thing with the kids is just hilarious!!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I totally wanted to finish running my fastest ever. What I got were two fussy kids in a stroller. You (and I) still graduated. Great running!
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congrats!:flowerforyou:

Is it possible that having a 'rough last day' (as many have shared here on the mesage boards recently) helps us put into perspective that it is NOT THE DESTINATION, but THE JOURNEY we must focus on? And does this happen for a reason? To project us into the future with a fire in the belly to continue running? To find a new journey to plod along?

I wish to think this.:happy:
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You will look back on this day, and never forget your C25K graduation
    I'm sure at the time it sucked, but what a great story !!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Congrats!:flowerforyou:

Is it possible that having a 'rough last day' (as many have shared here on the mesage boards recently) helps us put into perspective that it is NOT THE DESTINATION, but THE JOURNEY we must focus on? And does this happen for a reason? To project us into the future with a fire in the belly to continue running? To find a new journey to plod along?

I wish to think this.:happy:

I think it did for me. I considered putting the run off until I could have the ideal graduation experience. Then I realized that it's not the degree, but what you do with it, that counts.

Also, if you were following my "8 mile run" quest on Tuesday, that mindset has set me up for the roadblocks I've encountered since then.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't laugh as you were obviously feeling miserable by the time you got into the house but I can't help but think at least you'll remember it!

I graduated back in August but for the life of me I can't remember the run at all .... I remember being proud I'd finished something but the run? Nada!

The phone thing is just annoying though, I do that myself quite a lot with pretty much every chargeable thing I own :/
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Varda -- reading about all your road blocks in the last few weeks I was already thinking (before this post) that it's GOT to be more than just coincidence that it's 'raining' down on you right before the goal you've been working on so hard. So that you can get some relief, how about if you just go ahead and say out loud.... it's the journey of getting here that has been most important and the outcome of the race is not what I will focus on.:happy: :flowerforyou: Wishing you all the best!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Varda -- reading about all your road blocks in the last few weeks I was already thinking (before this post) that it's GOT to be more than just coincidence that it's 'raining' down on you right before the goal you've been working on so hard. So that you can get some relief, how about if you just go ahead and say out loud.... it's the journey of getting here that has been most important and the outcome of the race is not what I will focus on.:happy: :flowerforyou: Wishing you all the best!

Nah. Finish times matter too!
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration! I was close to making a new PR for overall distance, and had to cut my run short because of the rain. But I was happy I got out there and did it!

I still haven't technically finished the program - more so because I haven't had a chance in the last week to dedicate the time it will take me to run the full 5k. We're signed up for one at the end of the month, so I've just been increasing my run time to get in the distance.

And the weather isn't helping me! But hopefully I will get out there on Sunday and rock it!

Congrats again on your accomplishment!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That's such a funny story. I'm glad that you finally finished it and decided to keep going after your phone died. You must be proud. Hopefully, your toes are all warm now. :smile: