How to stop jumping on the scale every minute

Options
Hi there, I have just completed my first full week of Paleo, I have to admit when I saw the fat content I was very scared, but I am blown away with the results and how good I feel. My major problem is I want to stop jumping on the scale 5 -6 times a day. The up and downs are driving me mental, yet I cannot imagine going a day without it far less a week! Can anyone else relate to this? Also can anyone recommend some good choices for lunch on the go. I spend a large part of my day on the road and want to be able to pack a healthy lunch that can survive hours in the car with me. Thanks All.

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that would make anyone bonkers, jumping on the scale several times a day. Just don't do it! Once a day is bad enough. I try not to weigh in more than once a week. Use your over-focusing for exercise, instead. That's what I learned to do. Instead of weighing in, I grab a quick workout, even just two minutes. It helps me a lot. And it fits with a Primal/paleo lifestyle.
  • Tspgibbs
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to try only once this week. Hope I can do it.
  • ktbkitten
    Options
    I have the same issue! I can't stop weighing myself! I started just by reducing by once a day. I have gotten down to only once a day. I am still working on only once a week, but it is really hard. The longest I have gone is two days.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Move the scale, cover it with a towel, write a note to yourself with the date you can weigh yourself on the mirror, or just sing Ah-Ha Take On Me instead! Seriously, you can do it. Train yourself into a new pattern. :)
  • TisMee76
    TisMee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem!

Isn't it crazy that we've had it drummed into us that weight loss is in the form of a number on the scales!

I'm obsessed with the scales. I weight myself 6-7 times a day - I know it's stupid...and I know I need to stop. All it does is deflate me!

So this is it - I weighed in this morning (tuesday in Oz)....so I am making a conscious effort to not stand on those scales again until this time next week!
  • Tspgibbs
    Options
    I am totally with you, I have actually not weighed today. (totally killing me) I plan to weigh on Wednesday and then every Wednesday. Hoping I can last that long. LOL,:smile:
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Regarding lunches--freeze some bottles of water. Pack one w your lunch everyday. Then you can pack stuff you'd refrigerate, like cooked meat or hard boiled eggs, plus you'll have ice water at lunchtime.
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself and the scale went up until I started running and then the weight started dropping off. I was obsessed and weighed every morning after a run and lost at least 1pound. But then again it almost gave me a false sense that I could eat junk. So after about 2 weeks of this silliness I gained back. So back to being stick and running. I try to not weigh myself but once a week.
  • TisMee76
    TisMee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Massive fail for me this week.

Work was extra busy - as was home. This saw all my good intentions of eating out the window.

Found myself weight myself more than ever. First thing I did in the morning and the last thing I did at night...with a few in between. I hate surprises.

Will I ever be able to get off this rollercoaster?????
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that weigh every day. I know it drives some people nuts, but I find it motivating. I like to see day to day progress and when I don't see progress, I know I have to be extra mindful of my water intake or my sodium or whatever. It would drive me nuts to only weigh once a week! But, I would limit it to one time a day. I always do first thing in the morning. Maybe pick a time that works for you and do it the same time every day. Maybe keeping a visual chart by the scale would help limit you? Bonus, you would see the visual every day!

On the go lunches could include cold chicken, hard boiled eggs, salad, some fruit, lettuce wraps with bacon, raw veggies. Just a few that come to my mind right away. They could all be kept in a cooler with an ice pack and don't need to be warmed up.

Good luck!!
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Regarding lunches--freeze some bottles of water. Pack one w your lunch everyday. Then you can pack stuff you'd refrigerate, like cooked meat or hard boiled eggs, plus you'll have ice water at lunchtime.

What a great idea about the frozen water bottle!!
  • naptownblue
    naptownblue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Put the scale up high in a closet somewhere.. make it a pain to get it down to use it. When you do use it, make sure you put it back, right away. This way you only check in once per week, that's all you need to do.

Water weight fluctuates from day to day, and especially hour to hour. Weighing several times per day is way off the charts.
  • Tspgibbs
    Options
    This is a great Idea. Thanks, going to try it.
  • Tspgibbs
    Options
    Well I am now at a beach house for 2 weeks. With no scale and I am finding it hard. as being on holiday is always difficult so I am very nervous about gaining weight. Will try hard to stay focused.