When did you start wearing maternity clothes?

Options
I'm currently 17 weeks with my second baby and am still not in maternity clothes. Most of my pants still fit comfortably and I don't remember that being the case with my first. When did everyone else start wearing them? First, second, third pregnancies?

Replies

• Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    During my first, I gained 35lbs & wore stretch pants within the first 12 weeks. I'm curious to see how much ill gain with #2 since I'm smaller now than I was with #1.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Excluding my skinniest jeans, I wore mostly regular clothes until maybe 22 weeks. On high-bloat days (I was on a lot of support meds for my first trimester) I wore stretchy pants or unbuttoned pants with a belly band over them. I did wear some maternity shorts/jeans along the way, but they were definitely interspersed with regular pants. I'm now 32 weeks and still wear a lot of regular dresses and loose tops.

This is my 1st pregnancy and I really just went from the "perhaps she's had too much beer lately" to the "definitely pregnant" stage in the last couple weeks. I'm up about 23 lbs.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing maternity tops since the first trimester because why not, but right now at 20+ weeks with my third, I'm wearing regular pants and the smallest maternity pants I have. Most of the full panel stuff I have to keep hiking up, so it's kind of a pain.

I went to maternity much faster with my other pregnancies, but I also had a different starting point and different gain pattern.
  • bethcw1
    bethcw1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OMG - within the first 12 weeks. How depressing. I have mostly a food-belly right now, but I just couldn't get into my regular pants anymore. This is my 4th though...
  • mommyrebeck
    mommyrebeck Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 17 weeks and I started wearing maternity pants last week :(
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    20 weeks i didnt think i needed it because i just wore my big old pants, but when i finally bought some it was just so comfortable and my shirts were long enough not to rise
  • rachael116
    Options
    I'm 21 weeks and am wearing my regular pants with a belly-band. I love the belly-band, I find it super comfortable.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 weeks and I really didn't buy maternity clothes this time around (3rd pregnancy). I have one pair of maternity capris that are still kind of big on me, 2 dresses, and a t-shirt - none of which were worn until the third trimester. I still wear my regular clothes, though last month I had to start using a waistband expander to button my pants.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I never wore maternity clothes with any of my three. The only thing I've ever had to do was buy bigger bras.....
  • MSpradling18
    MSpradling18 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Around 18 weeks I started switching over to maternity clothes. This is my second pregnancy so I already own a bunch of clothes and decided I might as well get the most use out of them since you wear them for such a short period in the long run.

With my first pregnancy I was doing the hair band button trick from 12 weeks until maybe 20 weeks when I finally switched to maternity clothes due to the season changing and I had to buy new clothes anyway. I'm thinner this time so those pants still fit buttoned up at 21 weeks but are getting tight.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    1st baby: Around 33-35 weeks I had to buy a pair of shorts but that was all I needed. My body never "showed" that I was pregnant because she was in my rib cage the whole time.

2nd baby: First trimester. This one seemed to carry a little lower and I showed much quicker. Since I found it more depressing that my clothes I worked so hard to get into were getting tight, I figured...why not?
    (:
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    With my 1st baby it was probably around 17 - 20 weeks before I started wearing maternity clothes.... however back then I wore baggier clothes... Plus with the 1st I didn't find out about that pregnancy until I was already 17 weeks and some days.... With this baby I found out I was preggo at 5 weeks... my clothes are definitely more fitted as I was proud of my shape :).... I bought some of those belly bands to wear with my regular clothes/pants probably around 8 weeks... I bought maternity clothes probably around 9 - 10 weeks and started wearing the pants pretty soon after as they were just more comfortable.. although even now at 15 weeks I still have to pull the pants up some.. it's all about being comfortable for me... I just recently started wearing maternity shirts a few times a week.. only because most of my regular work shirts are shortish compared to the maternity pants so I wear them to cover the belly coverage.. last week I still work a pair of my regular work pants and the belly band.. but I paired it with a maternity shirt to cover the band completely.. so I guess I'm still half and half.. when not working I wear maternity jeans or regular yoga pants and my regular t-shirts (Guy Harvey or Salt Life)..
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1st baby i gained a lot of weight, so by 12 weeks nothing fit and i had to put on maternity. 2nd one i lost about 10 lbs in the beginning so i managed to hold out till about 20 weeks. Now baby #3 I started off very thin and in small size clothing so i showed sooner, so around 12-14 weeks i put on maternity botttoms,tops i managed to wait till 22 weeks.
  • PlayDoh1234
    PlayDoh1234 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 17 weeks and still in my regular clothes. But there are a few pairs of pants that I no longer wear my belt with.. they stay up rather fine on their own.
  • KimberlyTG2
    KimberlyTG2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am only 6 or 7 weeks in. I have gained 1lb, but I feel like I've gained 10lb. I have a feeling I'm going to be in maternity clothes much sooner this time
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    11 weeks. I could (and can) still fit into some of my pre-pregnancy stuff but I'm so much more comfortable now.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm 14 weeks and go back and forth between maternity and non-maternity. I can wear non maternity tops no problem but can only wear low-rise jeans and skirts for bottoms, so I have been wearing my maternity jeans for work. I am wearing a lot of long sweaters with mat-leggings because they are just so much more comfortable on the bloaty-bump now.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm impressed by you ladies that could wait so long. Pregnancy #1 I bought maternity pants at 5 weeks from all the bloat but started regularly wearing them about 8 weeks I believe. Pregnancy #2 I wrote that I switched to stretchy pants and maternity pants somewhere in week 6. Pregnancy #3 (current) I'm 8 weeks and worn maternity pants I think twice now, but with the bloat being gone I'm back in regular pants. I'm 22 lbs down from Preg #1 and 12 down from #2 so curious when I'll need them since I'm so much smaller! I have plenty of clothes, BUT I did buy smaller maternity pants because first of all I wore my old ones to death (read holes in thighs from friction) and second because I'm 22 lbs lighter! :D I'm 5'3" though, so once baby starts growing they have nowhere to go but out, so I get huge. 1st I lost 6 lbs early on but bloated insanely, 2nd I lost 2 lbs, but bloat was bad again. I wonder if I'm not as bloated because I eat better now.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started wearing yoga pants in week 10 because I started to pooch in my lower abdomen and my jeans were too uncomfortable. Last week, at 14 weeks along, my husband and I went shopping since I have already outgrown my bras and need tops. I can still fit into my dresses comfortably as well as my skirts, but it is starting to get colder, so pretty soon I plan to get a pair or two of maternity jeans or a belly band for my other jeans, as well as a nice jacket and a few cute tops!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I started probably around week 12-13. I still wear regular clothes w/ the belly band, but that's starting to get annoying since some of my pants are so baggy in certain areas, it doesn't want to stay up. I'm 18 weeks now and going to purchase maybe one or two more pants and some tops as well. Definitely need maternity sweaters! :smile: