Back (well I never started) to the drawing board

Options
Hi guys

I made a real schoolboy error in jumping into crossfit without practicing the movements enough. Are there any programs to follow for someone to get their technique right in all of the moves?

It would be handy to have a list of all movements, then once can start from there ;)

If anyone has that, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Replies

• Bella_DiVine
    Bella_DiVine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it yourself at home? If you are doing it in a box they should do a foundations course to teach you all the moves before you join any classes.

If you are doing it yourself there is an app called iWOD Mobile that you can download for free and it shows all the moves with youtube links to show you how :-)
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    You tube is a great resource, I use it all the time. I am only 3 months into CF and don't have everything down yet. I agree with Bell_ that the elements classes show you that and they usually go over it before a WOD begins. Good luck and work hard.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Are you doing it yourself at home? If you are doing it in a box they should do a foundations course to teach you all the moves before you join any classes.

If you are doing it yourself there is an app called iWOD Mobile that you can download for free and it shows all the moves with youtube links to show you how :-)

Hi
    I go to a more general gym rather than a crossfit one as they tend to cost 50%-100% more than what i'm currently paying.

Thanks for the suggestion, i couldn't find that app but have found another one. Why didn't I think of that lol!

Thankyou
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Hi
    I go to a more general gym rather than a crossfit one as they tend to cost 50%-100% more than what i'm currently paying.

Thanks for the suggestion, i couldn't find that app but have found another one. Why didn't I think of that lol!

Thankyou

not to sound like an a** but you if you suck it up and pay for the crossfit gym (even for a few months to learn all the movements with proper form) you will probably get 100-150% more out of it. I tried to do crossfit on my own at the commercial gym, but ended up at an actutal crossfit gym. the support from my coaches and other members makes me push harder than i ever could on my own, their programming is awesome, i have increased my strength and fitness levels more in the last year than i had simply just working out on my own.

that being said... if you don't want to pay for the gym I would find a gym who posts their WODS online (strength and metcons) and go from there. look up the movements that you don't know and simply learn them on a day by day basis. I would stay away from the OLY lifts unless you have a coach.

edited: crossfit invictus has really great programming, they have 3 levels- i would recommend following the fitness level until you become proficient with everything http://www.crossfitinvictus.com/category/wod/
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to second going to a box for at least a few classes, even the typical free ones on Saturday morning.

Heck, so many crossfit locations do Groupons/Living Social deals for like $35 for 10 classes or $45 for unlimited for a month that it makes it hard to NOT go and at least try it out.

I'd suggest doing that, learn the movements, master them, ask questions, then move on if you don't want to pay.

Starting as a newbie earlier this year, I cannot fathom trying this out on my own.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I look at it like this at a regular gym a lot of the extra classes cost you$$$

My box comes to about 6 bucks a class if I go 5 days a week. That's not bad seeing I'm getting a lot of coaching throughout the WOD.

The better gyms will have more coaches with bigger classes.

Form Form Form and I don't really think thats something you can teach yourself.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Thankyou very much people, something to think about. Maybe I can cancel the gym and go to say 10 classes or a foundation course.

Great feedback people, thankyou
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I suspect if you go to a good box in your area and FEEL the difference you will see what a good value it is. I too can't even imagine trying to do this on my own. The personal attention, inclusion and encouragement are priceless.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thankyou very much people, something to think about. Maybe I can cancel the gym and go to say 10 classes or a foundation course.

Great feedback people, thankyou

I was in your boat, at my local gym doing Stronglifts 5x5 (except they only had two squat racks and the bros would use them for shoulder shrugs) and was getting bored. I decided to bit the bullet and join CF. More than worth it, IMO. Now to the point that I would cut other things out of my life before CF if the budget demanded it.