Front Squat w/ Push Press

Options
I hate them... with a burning passion. I hate the hand & arm position of front rack. And because I hate them I'm even more determined to kick them in the rump!

*edited to fix my lack of editing before hitting send*

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm pretty sure that model must have forearms like a T-rex because when I put *my* arms in that position, the barbell goes in my mouth like a bit! :laugh:

But I do so feel like a badass at the top of my rep!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just found this video on youtube. It had some good tips and I sure hope it helps me with my front squat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9hSvdKxYEk
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too until a friend pointed out that the bar should roll back on my fingers (at the shoulders), not stay in my palm. Makes so much more sense!
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with form on these too... thanks for the video!
  • carrietehbear
    Options
    I still had trouble with them. I've figured out that it's not so much the hand position as it is balancing the bar. I'm pretty petite and my shoulders aren't wide so I'm all cramped up. This is becoming very frustrating.
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    My wrists are my biggest problem, they hurt so bad by the 6th rep that I have to do the last 2 reps gripping the bar. That's the only way I can do all 8 reps. I hope it gets easier. :grumble:
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What weight are you guys using for this one? I have gotten up to 40 but I think my form must be pretty bad, as I nearly topple forward at the top of the move. I don't know if my fingers are strong enough to hold the barbell if I let it roll back from my palms.
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    I just used the 45lb bar with no weights since that is what I got to in stage 2, but in stage 2 I gripped the bar the whole time. It's suppose to rest on your shoulders/chest but I cant seem to make that happen either. The guy at the gym that spots me from time to time seems to think its my range of motion in my shoulders, so he had me do an exercise with a flexible rod that he had me grip it wide and bring it all the way over my head to my back/butt...without moving your hands and keeping your arms straight without bending elbows too much... a painful stretch for me, but good. Also to stretch my wrists, place my palms flat on a wall upside down (fingers down, wrist up). Hope I explained well enough. Anyway, maybe it will work in time.
  • carrietehbear
    Options
    I'm up to 55 lbs. After talking to my lifting buddy/previous roommate, I don't feel so horrible because she has been lifting for years and struggles with the front squat.

I also noticed in my last attempt that the transition from the squat to the press messes up my hand position. I'm going to back the weight down to just the bar and just go slow and controlled. My old trainer also recommended doing some goblet squats to help with the front squat.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I never really got the form down in NROL4W, but in Supercharged I've realized that I was doing the entire move wrong. For the front squat, the bar is resting on your fingers, but the weight is actually on the grove in your shoulders- it shouldn't stress your wrists. Your elbows will be straight out in front of you. As you stand to do the push press the weight will roll into your hands as your elbows come down. It's very hard to explain, but once you get it, it will become a fluid movement.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I maxed out at 65 pounds and it took me all the way to the end of stage 4 to get there. Boy, was I proud, though! That one just was *not* budging for me!
  • carrietehbear
    Options
    I finally got the front squat form down! Now working on that transition to push press. I hate it!!!