Meds at night

Options
I was reading an article that suggested that you should take your hypothyroid meds at night. The article commented that you would get better absorption because your body would have the whole night without food to mess with it. Has anyone tried this or heard of it before? I want to try it cuz it kinda makes sense, but I don't want to try it if it's just going to reak havoc on my system.

Replies

• chaoticrunner
    chaoticrunner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had read some articles reporting the same information and decided to try it out. That only lasted for a week and a half. I found that taking it at night did help fix my sleep cycle, but I had trouble remembering if I had taken it. I also had problems with not eating or drinking after taking it. I'm in college, so night life is definitely a big part of the lifestyle. I switched back to mornings, and honestly there wasn't any huge change with switching the time.
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am taking them at night, at least three hours after i last ate something. I do not have a problem remembering it because it has become a night time ritual, if I go out I take them in the middle of the night whenever I come home. From a medical perspective, I do think that the meds are better absorbed. Just try it, but stick to it for at least three months and then have your levels checked because you may need less;)
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I tried taking them at night, sadly it did not work for me ( my TSH tripled within 6 months ). My endo was against it, my GP said that it only works if you really eat NOTHING for 3-4 hours before taking them.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I work a couple of evening shift each week, so having an empty stomach on a regular basis isn't entirely possible. But since I usually wake up between 3 and 4 every morning for a bathroom run, I take my pill then (was on Synthroid & Cytomel, now on Armour). I keep a glass of water next to the bed so I don't even have to get out of bed unless I need to. After I've taken my pill, I turn the pill bottle upside down so I know I've taken it.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Last night I was also considering taking my Armour at bedtime, which is around 11 pm. No problem remembering it as I take other things, but now question whether I could not eat 3-4 hr prior to it. I too would like to find out if my sleep patterns would improve because I am up once or twice at night and still wide awake when I do go to bed. Thought I would start taking it in the middle of the night when I got up, but completely forgot all about it even when it was set up. (Dark in the bathroom). Took it this am at 5:40 when I first woke up. Now waiting until 9:40 to eat so as not to have my thyroid interfere with my milk and other dairy products or coffee. May end up setting the alarm for 4 am, but that likely will wake me up again. Appreciate any input on doing it as a bedtime ritual.....
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use to take my meds at night every night. Until I decided to follow directions and take them in the morning. I take a rather high dose but I noticed a difference immediately! From my experience taking them in the morning is a lot better for your body. I am hoping to be able to take a lower dose soon just because I am taking them first thing in the morning rather than at night.
  • lucy2021
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I'm going to talk to my Dr b-4 trying it. I will let you know what she thinks and if it works out.
  • mom2BandD
    mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Talking to your doctor about it is a good idea.

I only took mine at night from day 1 and was on a stable dose for about 4.5 years doing that. The dose was super low (0.05mcg - Eltroxin). Then I got an actual GP (I had been going to clinics as we have a doctor shortage in my province) and after she had me do a simple TSH + T4 test she recommended doubling the dose. She called me at home to tell me so. This is not the important detail of course. When I increased the dose as per doctor's new prescription i found that the medication kept me from sleeping soundly. I am not sure if that happens with everyone but its something to talk to your doctor about.

I switched to taking the pill in the morning and things stabilized within 2-3 weeks. I did not realize I needed to have the pill after 3-4 hrs of not eating. Thank you all for the information. :)
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Im.on thyroxine and have been hypo for 20 yrs. I take my meds at night and it helps me sleep better amd wake up easier too
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the middle of the night during a "potty break" It works out great for me that I can have my coffee as soon as I wake up. It is always between 2 a.m. & 4 a.m. that I take it. No worries waiting to eat or drink in the morning then or to take my other meds.
  • Emilycip
    Options
    I take mine in middle of the night too. 3-5 am when I'm up for potty break. Works for me since I want coffee within 5 minutes of waking up!
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is good information, thanks for posting. I am on Armor and take it when i wake up in the morning at about 6 AM. I might try at night and see what happens.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I take synthroid and cytomel in A.M. and more cytomel at about 1 P.M. I have tried taking at night or later in the day and it keeps me up and I have lots of energy and can't go to sleep. I would rather have the energy during the day. Everyone reacts to meds differently. You will need to try yourself and see what works best for you.
  • autotek
    autotek Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i was taking mine at 3am as i have to take other meds and vitamins
    we hate having to wait 4 hours just to take our other meds and vitamins:grumble:
    its a hassle but we have to do it

i just switched to 5am

sleep wise doesn't chance for me since i'm stuck on my 3rd shift sleeping habits for over 10 years now:sad:
    even take ambien nothing happens