Choosing a running track?

Options
Hi all

I'm going to start c25k this week and am looking at where to run

How did you choose your path?

Do I just leave the house and run 2.5k in one direction then turn around?

Or drive to a proper running track?

Thanks!

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to work up the nerve to start running. So by the time I did, I had already been walking a dirt path around a gated, forested park in our city. One day, I just took my first running steps instead of walking. It had a hill that killed. It wasn't 1/3 of the track distance, but took 1/3 of the time of each lap. I did this for awhile, but it was a real struggle, because I'd always just stop or quit for various reasons. Then, one day walking home in my running gear, I had to run across a highway on-ramp, and I just kept running & running, in the city. After that, I tried different places in the city for running and I love it. I live in a very dense concrete jungle where parking is NEVER enforced and sidewalks barely maintained, so I am constantly running around trees, under low branches, around cars parked on the sidewalk, garbage bins, in & out of depressions & broken sidewalk. And I have no limit to the new areas I can explore, from one neighborhood to the next. I LOVE IT!! I realized that I was simply bored from running the 1/2mile track at the park. But in the city, I'm NEVER bored and there's always a new challenge to keep me going forward, instead of boredom just feeding my excuses to stop.

tl;dr: tracks can be boring & boredom can make you want to stop early, so when you feel ready, try safe urban/suburban routes
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    oh yeah, this helped me tons:

www.walkjogrun.net
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You need to find someplace convenient to you. If it's too much trouble or time to get to, you'll use this as an excuse to not workout one day.
    I put my shoes on after work and step out the door. I have a Garmin watch to track my distance and, over time, I've found routes that loop back to home all around the neighbourhood that will allow me to run 5K, with a warm up and cool down walk. I start from home and end up at home.

I have a variety of these routes: some flat, some hilly, some a combo, some along the river, etc. I decide on which one to run by mood.

Good on you for starting C25K. Keep your pace slow and keep us posted on your progress.
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    You need to find someplace convenient to you. If it's too much trouble or time to get to, you'll use this as an excuse to not workout one day.

^This is very important! ;) Since I run in our neighborhood, the only excuse I have not to run is when it's raining! I live in a suburban area with bike lanes, so it's really convenient to run in. I can choose which path to take depending on the incline I decide to tackle, from flat to really challenging incline. I turn back around on the halfway mark, or if it looks like it's about to rain, I run around loops, usually in the radius of 3-4 blocks around home.

Yey for deciding to start running!
  • cdh5068
    cdh5068 Posts: 26
    Options
    When I started, I chose a trail that was convenient and relatively flat. After I got more comfortable running, I searched online for parks in my area. I still go to the original trail most often (mainly because I run after work and I'm not in the mood to drive far) but on my days off it's fun to explore new parks/trails and challenge myself with a little more incline. When I get into better shape I'll run in my neighborhood, but it has MONSTER hills that I certainly can't run up yet.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

^^^ This! Unless you're very dedicated, if you have to get in your car or catch a bus to a track, its too easy to find reasons why you can't go running that day.

I just run where I live - I've got woods and a posh school on my doorstep so there is plenty of trails and paved paths there to just run and run on. When it's dark, I use the footpaths by the side of the road as there are street lights.

Wherever you run, just make sure you're safe - both from traffic and undesirables!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

Yes, I agree with all the others that this is very important. But you can also incorporate other places. For example, I start my runs from a residential area where I take my son everyday for lessons. I have to go over there everyday and then kill 2 hrs while he gets his lessons. I used to kill that time at Starbucks, which is why I could never lose weight. duh! But now I utilize the awesome parks and residential neighborhoods there, for running (and previously for walking). So, for example, if you drop kids off at school, you could take your run from there. Or after work. Or if you go to a gym, instead of warming up on a stationary bike, you could run there. Make sure it's convenient, but get creative when you have to. I've had to have my husband meet me at the park after work to entertain our toddler while I run. There's always a way to make it work, if you have committed to doing it and have the will to follow through.

1343988511359836.jpg

Congratulations on deciding to start running!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have two toddlers. I did it when and where I could work it in. Mostly in my neighborhood. Some lunch breaks on a treadmill. There's a rail trail near my house where I go on weekends and, after I graduated, I hit a track at a park near my house for speed work.
  • T4tania123
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Did my first workout today. My two year old has been sick and
    Hasn't wanted to leave the house. My husbands also sick so I thought is give him a break, so put the newborn to sleep and put my two year old in the pram and went on the path we usually walk together as a family . Then up to the shops we usually drive to got my son his favourite your hurt from the shop and back home. Was the perfect distance for the first time of 3.5 k. Had two steep hills that hurt but I kept going.
    Pushing 16 kilos up the hills in a pram was tricky but I hope when I finally get to do it alone it will be easier!

I figure if I keep building on that track I have no excuse as I can take my son if I have to so don't burden hubby too much either
  • T4tania123
    Options

Good on you for starting C25K. Keep your pace slow and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you!
  • T4tania123
    Options
    oh yeah, this helped me tons:

www.walkjogrun.net

Great thank you!
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I generally step right out my door. I used to go to a nearby bike path (within a mile. Sometimes I'd use the walk to/from as a warmup/cooldown), but I plan on running through the winter and bike paths aren't kept clear of snow.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on a trail but if I'm running short on time, or if it's dark, I will run in my neighbourhood. Our normal route takes us along a gravel trail near a lake. I love it, there's just something about the sights, sounds & smells of running in the 'woods' that really appeals to the country girl in me. (But, it's still in town so I can stop for coffee on the way home if the mood strikes me!) :laugh: Sidewalks are okay but I often find myself annoyed by things like traffic, curbs, and intersections...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i start at my driveway and keep going till my headphones say "you are half way" then i turn around and try to get back past my starting point before it says "you have completed your run"
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K too :) I downloaded RunDouble on my android phone. It tells me when to run, when to walk, and then it tells me when I'm halfway through, so I can turn around and head home! I'm a fan :) I don't really plan where I'm running, I just head out the door and run on the footpath. Yesterday I went up to the local oval, and ran around the oval twice with my dog, and on the weekend I went to the parklands and ran around the dog off-lead area with my dog.

I like to have variety, so don't really plan too well. I'm sure by the time I get further into the C25K program I might have some preferences :)

Enjoy running :)