Today is the day

Options
lawlorka
lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
So I got the book, I spent all weekend digesting it, and am confident I can at least attempt everything in Stage 1. I joined a gym that has all the necessary equipment, so I have no more excuses.

Today is the day - Stage 1, Workout A1.

Still - I'm nervous about stepping into the free weights section as its new territory to me. I'm just going to put my earphones in and ignore everyone around me and hope for the best.

In all honesty, I'm mostly worried about falling off the Swiss Ball :)

Replies

• pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm starting over AGAIN... Today was actually my first day of stage 1. The weight room can definitely be intimidating. At my gym I use both the weight room and the womens locker room area. I use the locker room are for the step-ups, lunges, and swiss ball exercises. It's just easier in that room as there are not as many people fighting for benches and space. Feel free to add me if you want =)
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck to both of you!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous. Just do your thing. My first day I waltzed in with my book in hand and made no pretense of knowing what I was doing. I studied each picture and left the book open while I did my reps. I don't know what anyone else was thinking, but they said nothing. It's almost 5 months later and today I know all the regulars and I've been complimented on my workouts more than once (not to mention my results). You got this!
  • lawlorka
    Options
    Well I did it. Walked in head held high with my book all tabbed where on the pages I needed it and my workout logs ready to be filled in.

I did everything, well... I can't do prone jacknives... I kept falling off the ball. But I did everything else.

Did my last step up and walked towards the dumbell rack to put them back and took one step and, bang... shooting pain through my lower back.

Now I'm couch bound as I can't actually move.... So.... thats not good..... I don't know what I did wrong. I thought it had gone really well, and the DOMS in my legs/arms tells me I was doing something right... but I still managed to hurt myself. I think I didn't rest enough between sets as I forgot my stopwatch so was just counting in my head!

I'm not giving up though. I'm going to rest for a week or until the back feels strong again, and then I'm going to book a session with a PT and have him show me form for the first 2 stages in the book. I won't be beaten!!!!

BTW even at 8.30pm the free weights area was packed!!!! BUt there were four women all lifting heavy and that made me feel much more confident!
  • FourIsCompany
    Options
    Oh! I'm sorry about your back! Be sure to warm up well first! Use the muscles you're going to be using in your workout. And stretch afterward... Getting instruction on proper form is a great idea. And push yourself, but not too hard. If you're just beginning (as I am) it's critical that you take it slow and take care of yourself.
    I won't be beaten!!!!

This is the attitude you have to have - or at least it's the one I have to have. Don't let ANYTHING get between you and what you want. I hope your back is better VERY soon!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Oh man, sorry to hear about that! Glad that you were able to do the workout, though....except the prone jacknife. I'm starting tomorrow and am terrified of that thing!
  • FourIsCompany
    Options
    On the prone jackknife, just a tip. Start by supporting the upper part of your body on a bench instead of the floor. It gives more stability to the exercise. That's how I got comfortable with it.

StabilityBallJackknife_Start.JPG
  • FoxSaysMeh
    Options
    Good luck! Remember, everyone in that weight room had their first day in there :smile:
  • lawlorka
    Options
    On the prone jackknife, just a tip. Start by supporting the upper part of your body on a bench instead of the floor. It gives more stability to the exercise. That's how I got comfortable with it.

StabilityBallJackknife_Start.JPG

THANK YOU!!!!

I'm am definitely going to do this - my core is rubbish and I have absolutely no balance so this will really help me.

My back is already feeling much better now, so thats a relief
  • FourIsCompany
    Options
    Glad your back is feeling better. One thing I've noticed is that the stronger I get, the faster I recover from tweaks and twinges.