Carb Nites?

Options
Nicole9187
Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
Anyone read the article in Woman's World titled Atkins Breakthrough, basically it says to eat 30 or less carbs per day and every 5 days from 6pm to bedtime or whatever designated time you decide, you eat carbs. The article basically says this allows your body to burn fat more efficiently. How is this possible? I could possibly see how this would work if you have been in a long plateau but seems like every five days would be a revolving door. Sure I wish I could have a carb nite every 5 nites, but seems like I would spend the next 5 days trying to get off whatever I gained from my carb nite. Does anyone currently do this?

Replies

• Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    idk it might kick you out of ketosis if you're on keto. Wouldn't do it unless you've been plateaued for a long time. I've heard of eating carbs/fruit after a workout is best, as your body will burn the sugar quickly.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do it, except I try to get at least 6 days between each one. It's only recommended after becoming keto-adapted, but it works to keep fat-burning hormones from taking a nose-dive. I usually only see a 2-lb gain the following day (all from water), and it takes 2 or so days to shed after going back to keto ratios. Even with the weekly jumps in weight, I'm still losing overall. And I think my weekly cheat meals help to keep me sane.
  • Nicole9187
    Options
    That's awesome! I think I still have a ways to get keto adapted as I'm still finding I'm hungry. I've been reading a book, and I guess this can take 2-3 weeks, I'm upping my fat in hopes it helps.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did read that article and was intrigued. I've been doing some reading on carb nite as well as carb refeeding, keto cycling etc. It's all basically the same though some include lifting heavy before the refeeds. I did read that women need to be a bit careful with the fat they are taking in on those nights. I might try it in the future on a night before a day off from work. I'm afraid I'd feel sick after eating all that.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I do it, except I try to get at least 6 days between each one. It's only recommended after becoming keto-adapted, but it works to keep fat-burning hormones from taking a nose-dive. I usually only see a 2-lb gain the following day (all from water), and it takes 2 or so days to shed after going back to keto ratios. Even with the weekly jumps in weight, I'm still losing overall. And I think my weekly cheat meals help to keep me sane.

This is kind of my story too -- except I don't intend the cheats, they seem to just happen on weekends because of my hubby doing the cooking, and he likes potatoes and pumpkin :) It takes 2-3 days to shed the water gain, then by the end of the week I am either down a bit or at least back where I started. Slows progress, but what the heck.

Yup, upping fat intake will keep you from feeling hungry. I made some vanilla fat bombs--yum! They freeze well, like ice cream.
    http://www.djfoodie.com/aspx/m/Vanilla-Candy

Overall, this strategy is similar to the Carb Addict's Diet, only that one allows you to eat carbs every night. It didn't work for me too well.
    Read details here on the CAD: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100
  • epcooper
    Options
    I've read 2 books on the subject - Carb Nite Solution by Keifer and Low Carb Diet Strategies by Susan Campbell. I recommend the second one, because Keifer's book is a bit outdated and geared more toward men than women. Keifer recommends 10 days of induction before adding in carb nites, but definitely listen to your body. The first time I tried this, back in July, I didn't see great results because I was going crazy on the carb nites and the struggled to go back to keto every week. I only lasted 3 weeks. This time I've been doing it for 5 weeks, and have seen great results, mostly because I'm better adapted to keto, I'm not overdoing the carb nites, and I do a fat fast for a day after eating carbs to get back into ketosis faster. In the 5 weeks I've been doing this I've lost 6 lbs, which may not seem like much, but it's huge for me. I started from a normal BMI and only wanted to lose 10 lbs and had been bouncing around the same 3 lbs for about 4 months.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've read 2 books on the subject - Carb Nite Solution by Keifer and Low Carb Diet Strategies by Susan Campbell. I recommend the second one, because Keifer's book is a bit outdated and geared more toward men than women. Keifer recommends 10 days of induction before adding in carb nites, but definitely listen to your body. The first time I tried this, back in July, I didn't see great results because I was going crazy on the carb nites and the struggled to go back to keto every week. I only lasted 3 weeks. This time I've been doing it for 5 weeks, and have seen great results, mostly because I'm better adapted to keto, I'm not overdoing the carb nites, and I do a fat fast for a day after eating carbs to get back into ketosis faster. In the 5 weeks I've been doing this I've lost 6 lbs, which may not seem like much, but it's huge for me. I started from a normal BMI and only wanted to lose 10 lbs and had been bouncing around the same 3 lbs for about 4 months.

On average how many carbs do you do on carb nites?
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    First sign of keto i wait 14 days and carb up with 200g of carbs in the evening so i dont crave more.

Then every week...

Thought you all realised you should be doing this ????
  • epcooper
    Options

On average how many carbs do you do on carb nites?

As a woman, I try to get between 100 and 150 carbs for the whole day. Men can handle a lot more than that. I sleep like a baby that night and wake up puffy the next morning. It only takes a couple days to shed the water weight and my weight (measured weekly before each carb nite) is steadily decreasing.

It's also important to keep your fat intake low while you're carbing up. Both the books I read made this point. I don't remember the exact science, but it's something about your body being more likely to store fat if you eat fat and carbs together.
  • Nicole9187
    Options
    First sign of keto i wait 14 days and carb up with 200g of carbs in the evening so i dont crave more.

Then every week...

Uhh I never realized that was a part of keto.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Then every week...

Uhh I never realized that was a part of keto.
    I m very low body fat % now and its essential to keep the fat coming off at this level.

last night i had italian sausage cut and fried in olive oil and added double cream and pepper to make a sauce for a brown rice carb up. muscles look flat and wasted when in keto but this morning they look awesome and its time to hit the gym !!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    last night i had italian sausage cut and fried in olive oil and added double cream and pepper to make a sauce for a brown rice carb up.

I'm confused as this sounds like a high fat sauce along with the carbs. Can someone tell me what you eat on a carb meal and how much fat is OK?

Thanks!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's also important to keep your fat intake low while you're carbing up. Both the books I read made this point. I don't remember the exact science, but it's something about your body being more likely to store fat if you eat fat and carbs together.

what do you eat for this meal to keep it low fat?
  • epcooper
    Options
    My carb nites usually include some white or sweet potato or white rice. I try to stay away from pizza or pasta though. Maybe I'll have some fruit if I'm really craving it. Desserts will usually be some kind of pastry or cake from the bakery next door (my favorite is apple turnover), or a good serving of ice cream. It really depends on what I'm in the mood for.

When I say keep fat intake low, that's relative to the usual 70% fat I eat normally. Make sure you prioritize protein over fat with your carbs. A steak with baked potato, or sushi with white rice both work nicely. I live in Germany, so I'll often have spaetzle as a side with my meat. This is something you tweak for your personal preferences. For instance, I love white potatoes, so last night I had chicken breast with potato wedges for dinner (without the high-fat sauce I'd usually use with chicken) and an apple strudel for dessert. And today I'm back to keto until next weekend. I was up only a half pound since yesterday, even though I felt uncomfortably stuffed after eating. By next Friday, I should be lower than I was yesterday.