Trying to stay paleo when the budget is REALLY tight

Options
The problem is that I live with my mother to take care of her and I'm the only one that has gone paleo. She doesn't want to, so there's no way I can convince her otherwise. She's also really picky about food and has an eating disorder, so we hardly ever share the same meals.

How can I stay paleo without breaking our pathetic budget by cooking separate meals?

What sorts of foods are typically really cheap and can be stretched a lot?

If you can think of anything else, any other advice would be really helpful! Thank you :)

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly, you aren't eating the same stuff already. Also sounds like it would not be good to eat as she does. Lots of tips for eating on a budget but truth be told, buying food in boxes and bags costs more than just real food. If you can, try buying a cow share. 1/4 or 1/8th. Your cost per pound goes way down. Start out simple - cut out breads and grains - then cook with good oils - ditch the sugar. If that is all you can afford to do, you will spend less than a SAD diet and be significantly healthier for it.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly, you aren't eating the same stuff already. Also sounds like it would not be good to eat as she does. Lots of tips for eating on a budget but truth be told, buying food in boxes and bags costs more than just real food. If you can, try buying a cow share. 1/4 or 1/8th. Your cost per pound goes way down. Start out simple - cut out breads and grains - then cook with good oils - ditch the sugar. If that is all you can afford to do, you will spend less than a SAD diet and be significantly healthier for it.

Thanks for the advice. I've already been paleo for a few months, so I don't have anything non-Paleo to cut out anymore. It's more that my mother and I just eat diffferent meals and she doesn't like what I eat most of the time. I guess that's the main problem, but rather than give up paleo, I'm wondering if there are even cheaper meal options than what I'm eating now, which is mostly lots of eggs, cheap sausage and cuts of meat, in season fruit, and some vegetables - depending on what's cheap.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Do you and your mother have any common ground with food? Are there things that you both like that are easy to either make primal or to add in the things she likes? I'm thinking things like crockpot type meals where you can use cheaper meat cuts for slow cooking then maybe add things like potato for her. Maybe think back to the meals she made when you were a child and think how you can make them paleo? Good luck, I live with non paleos as well so know it can be difficult but the above approaches are the ones I take. In terms of budget, do you have a community garden or similar near you where you can do a couple of hours a week of work and in return they usually let you take vegetables and fruit home. Also do a google search for your community along the lines of 'foraging', 'open orchards' etc.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Do you and your mother have any common ground with food? Are there things that you both like that are easy to either make primal or to add in the things she likes? I'm thinking things like crockpot type meals where you can use cheaper meat cuts for slow cooking then maybe add things like potato for her. Maybe think back to the meals she made when you were a child and think how you can make them paleo? Good luck, I live with non paleos as well so know it can be difficult but the above approaches are the ones I take. In terms of budget, do you have a community garden or similar near you where you can do a couple of hours a week of work and in return they usually let you take vegetables and fruit home. Also do a google search for your community along the lines of 'foraging', 'open orchards' etc.

I think this is a great idea! I mean, even making something like spaghetti and meat sauce/meatballs, you can just eat it without the noodles! If you cook for her, then just limit what you're eating instead, maybe she will feel satisfied still and you can still keep to your goals. What are some examples of things she would prefer...we can all brainstorm how to make them Paleo or else an alternative for you when the meal calls for a non-paleo food. :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I myself just figured out to stay away from "box" stores for produce...I went to a local fruit and veggie store and walked out with 4 bags full of vegetables and eggs, for $22!!! I was blown away...no more, always buying local now ....easily would have cost me $60 plus in the box store for everything I got, that included a dozen eggs, 1 cucumber, 6 zucchini, 2 red onions, bag of parsnips, 3 pds of sweet potato, 2 green peppers, 2 avocados, bag of beets, bag of radishes, bag of mushrooms, and a butternut squash....I was amazed!! this will definitely be the way to go and help save us some money