vegetarian/vegan
gluten free
dairy free (or a combo of the two)
No specific way of eating
Weight Watchers
Jenny Craig
Nutrisystem
Anything else I haven't mentioned

I personally just started the Whole 30 today :). So I'm looking forward to seeing and feeling my lingering issues from thyroid disease resolve as the days and weeks progress.

Replies

• MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    low calorie and I have to avoid most of the healthy stuff. I am going to check into the Whole 30.
  • ercamacho
    Options
    I'm extremely insulin resistant which is now causing my body to 'insulin dump'...so I'm low calorie with restricted carbs. 40-70 carbs per day...all monitored by my dr.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely insulin resistant which is now causing my body to 'insulin dump'...so I'm low calorie with restricted carbs. 40-70 carbs per day...all monitored by my dr.

oh my! Do you have to monitor with a glucose meter and such like a diabetic does?
  • djserani
    Options
    I'm doing low cal/low fat and just trying my best to eat the best I can. I also have no upper teeth (I have a denture that doesn't fit right, so I can wear it but it hurts) thanks to Hashi and an English ancestry, so I have to be careful or it hurts to eat (no wonder I don't want to eat most days!). I am also on a VERY limited food budget (I have to feed 4 of us on ~$400 a month). So, yeah, whee! >.>
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good discussion!

I actually visited my nutritionist again just yesterday to have her guide me a little. I've been mostly paleo/primal for a couple of years, but not strictly so until now. I did a Whole 30 in August.

My endo recommended keeping gluten free because of my hypo/suspected Hashi's. Interestingly, my nutritionist is a Whole30 consultant and also has hypo/Hashis. So she has recommended I essentially follow Whole 30 protocols here on out and keep grain free, no processed foods, low sugar, grassfed/organic, etc.

I must admit it bums me out a little, but I'm grateful I had been dabbling with paleo until now as it's made the transition (at least mentally) a little easier. Now, if I can find my house elves to help organize the shopping and cooking, that would be fantastic! ;-)
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Good discussion!

I actually visited my nutritionist again just yesterday to have her guide me a little. I've been mostly paleo/primal for a couple of years, but not strictly so until now. I did a Whole 30 in August.

My endo recommended keeping gluten free because of my hypo/suspected Hashi's. Interestingly, my nutritionist is a Whole30 consultant and also has hypo/Hashis. So she has recommended I essentially follow Whole 30 protocols here on out and keep grain free, no processed foods, low sugar, grassfed/organic, etc.

I must admit it bums me out a little, but I'm grateful I had been dabbling with paleo until now as it's made the transition (at least mentally) a little easier. Now, if I can find my house elves to help organize the shopping and cooking, that would be fantastic! ;-)

I would suggest doing the autoimmune protocol of Whole30 for 90 days as recommended for autoimmune ppl if you may have Hashi's (this is what I am doing). This would further restrict nightshades (tomatoes and all peppers and white potatoes), eggs, and nuts. It can be overwhelming, but once you get to the 90 days you can slowly reintroduce stuff to see if you can tolerate it without flaring your thyroid issue!

And I agree with avoiding gluten and dairy regardless...maybe dairy in moderation but def no gluten anymore.
  • djserani
    Options
    I've been reading about these things and I just don't know how I could do this on my limited food budget.

But I also know myself and if I try to cut out whole food groups (like grains and dairy), not to mention sweetener (because I can't do coffee without it and I can't do *life* without coffee. >.>) I will not last on it. I know that. I would end up facedown in a full-sugar chocolate cake faster than you can say "artificial sweetener."

Hub wants to do Atkins, but we can't afford that, either. Meat is *expensive* and there's no way I could fund that AND still feed the kids on what we manage. *sigh*

Blargh. I do my best to avoid soy. I switched to splenda because I've read that aspertame is *bad* for thyroid. But I just can't go gluten-free or do this Whole 30 thing. :(
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about these things and I just don't know how I could do this on my limited food budget.

But I also know myself and if I try to cut out whole food groups (like grains and dairy), not to mention sweetener (because I can't do coffee without it and I can't do *life* without coffee. >.>) I will not last on it. I know that. I would end up facedown in a full-sugar chocolate cake faster than you can say "artificial sweetener."

That's where I am, too. I would rather make changes slowly that won't 1) break the bank, or 2) cause me to tailspin out of control. I often get told I'm crazy because "What if you felt so much better if you went gluten free?", but the way I look at it that would just make it that much worse if I could no longer afford to eat GF. So, right now I avoid (almost all) artificial sweeteners (It is rare to find one that doesn't give me either a migraine, diarrhea, or both), soy, and anything that gives me a sick feeling when I think about it. I kind of use that as a gauge. That's more for my IBS than the hypo/Hashi's, though.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Is there an Aldi's or Save-A-Lot type store near you? We could find a way to make it work with some planning and budgeting. You CAN live without coffee and sugar, I promise you!! Of course organic is best, but even conventional meats and veggies is better than eating stuff filled with chemicals that comes out of a box. And if you aren't buying boxed cereal and pasta, you can use that money to buy meats and veggies. Stock up when there are sales and such, cook big meals and portion them out for more than one day, buy whole chickens and turkeys to roast and divide the meat up for several different dishes...it can be done. We can brainstorm.
  • vxt22
    vxt22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use Stevia instead of sugar...
  • mjslazak
    Options
    Good discussion!

I would suggest doing the autoimmune protocol of Whole30 for 90 days as recommended for autoimmune ppl if you may have Hashi's (this is what I am doing). This would further restrict nightshades (tomatoes and all peppers and white potatoes), eggs, and nuts. It can be overwhelming, but once you get to the 90 days you can slowly reintroduce stuff to see if you can tolerate it without flaring your thyroid issue!

And I agree with avoiding gluten and dairy regardless...maybe dairy in moderation but def no gluten anymore.

Thanks! I probably won't get myself to a full Whole 30 until again until after our vacation (we leave end of the week), but while I'm gone, it's my full intent to just focus on whole foods and keeping grain free (or at the least gluten free, depending on the restaurant we're in and their capabilities to adjust). It's a lot to wrap my head around, but I'm getting into a better place with the whole diagnosis and how I can best heal with food.
  • mjslazak
    Options

That's where I am, too. I would rather make changes slowly that won't 1) break the bank, or 2) cause me to tailspin out of control. I often get told I'm crazy because "What if you felt so much better if you went gluten free?", but the way I look at it that would just make it that much worse if I could no longer afford to eat GF. So, right now I avoid (almost all) artificial sweeteners (It is rare to find one that doesn't give me either a migraine, diarrhea, or both), soy, and anything that gives me a sick feeling when I think about it. I kind of use that as a gauge. That's more for my IBS than the hypo/Hashi's, though.

I won't lie. It is HARD to go completely cold on grains and sweeteners, but I am now in the camp believing that I'm in a better place when I generally avoid the stuff.

When you feel you have the gumption and can plan accordingly, I definitely recommend doing a Whole30 to give the grain-free, whole foods lifestyle a spin. Planning is really what makes it happen. Personally, if I learned nothing else from my Whole30 experiences (and I've done a few now), it's that if I don't plan my meals, then it's hard to get through.

And yes, grassfed can be expensive, but it's possible to do this without breaking the bank. I look at it as a trade-off: higher medical costs later for better quality fuel now. Here's one of many guides out there to help you plan a shopping trip (again, when you decide you are ready): http://www.whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

I think the fruit and veggie guides that are out there which tell you what produce you should always buy organic and which you can "cheat" on are great, too.

In the end, we're all human. And sometimes, nothing can replace a bowl of Ben & Jerry's. ;-)
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    im on a 1200 calorie 135 carb restricted diet from my endocrinologist and the nutritionist she sent me too. The lower cals for the hypothyroid and restricted carbs to whole grains non enriched for insulin resistance related to pcos. Although since I joined MFP i do eat back some but not all my calories as im pretty sure my body was going into starvation mode as recovery times were becoming really long. Much better now. Slower weight loss but better muscle toning going on.

Alyssa I have ibs too. Ive heard from alot of other women who all have it and have hashimotos. Dont know if it could possibly auto immune related or just an outcome of a compromised digestion due to the slow metabolism. Would love to know :D But I use Natra taste. Its supposed to be a similar sweetener to equal but it doesnt really give me the same effects of it as equal gives me a sore throat. Its fairly affordable. But i still use sugar in my coffee lol i use artif sweetener for anything else. My coffee is sacred to me. I gave up binge eating, smoking and most unhealthy things in life its my one thing that i am cherishing hehe. But i build it into my diet allotments
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    It's SUPER hard at first to get away from grains and sweeteners all that. But it is SOOOOO worth it. The first few days were really hard for me physically, now it's only slightly tough mentally for me when I want something I can't have right now. I'm on day 11 of the autoimmune protocol of whole30 and I'd go through those first 4 days all over again to be where i am now.

I've had issues with digestion for years, never got an IBS Dx...but it was something going on, and now that I am cutting out foods that offend my body I'm doing much better. I can tell immediately if I eat something that bothers me since it will upset my stomach right away and I have to run to the bathroom. A few days ago it was pineapple, and today it was strawberries and whipped coconut cream. Its just a matter of finding out what your body's "trigger foods" are and eliminating them for awhile and then trying again much later to see if your body healed or if you have to avoid that food forever.