Any book suggestions? Romance, comedy, realistic fiction

Options
dessyjo
dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
I'm out of good reads.
I love Nicholas Sparks' books. I've read nearly all of the newer ones. (Safe Haven and The Lucky One were genius!)
I also liked My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.
One of my all time favorites is True Colors by Kristin Hannah.
I also don't mind younger books for teens such as Sarah Dessen's books.

As the title says, I like Romance. (Not anywhere near "50-shades-of-gray's-physical-relationship", just a bit of a subtle love story.) I'm also a fan of humor and mystery. (I haven't read any murder mysteries, so I'm not sure I'd be interested in those.)

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Replies

• dessyjo
    Options
    Bump*
  • dessyjo
    Options
    Nobody knows any good books? PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEE!?
  • shedding60
    shedding60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just read a month at the shore by Antoinette Stockenberg and it was pretty good with a little romance. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. Don't say a word by Barbara Freethy. I also like Colleen Hoover a lot.

I loved the Maze Runner series, as well as the Hunger Games and Divergent series but that is not what you're looking for.
  • cgarliepp
    cgarliepp Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm not sure we like all the same kinds of books, but here are a few titles that I read and liked:

The Night Circus
    Rain of Gold
    The Art of Racing in the Rain
    Sarah's Key
    Monique & the Mango Rain
    Dandelion Wine
    The Red Tent
    The Time Traveler's Wife
    The Birth House
    The Color of Water

Let me know if you read any of them and like them! Happy Reading!

Caron
  • eagergirl
    eagergirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am reading "The Selection" series by Kiera Cass. I am on the second book. It is a young adult, romance series. It is very easy reading, and I can't put it down, really! I'm also rereading the Left Behind series.

As you see, I love series books. My favorite series of ALL TIME...my favorite books of ALL TIME...is the Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon. There is no love story like Jamie and Claire's. If you like historical romance, give these a try. I can't rave about these books enough!!
  • dessyjo
    Options
    Thanks! I will have to check the local library and see if they have any of these. I read the first book in the hunger game series and that was really good.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I haven't read many romance novels lately (then again I've had exams on for what feels like a millennia, so I haven't been reading much of anything). But I have just finished Alan Furst's 'Spies of Warsaw' it may not be your cup of tea because it's strictly a spy novel, but there is a love story wove into it, which may be good for you.
    If you want something a little more centred on a love story I would recommend Gaston Leroux's 'Phantom of the Opera'. I tried to do this for coursework, but because it's a translation and not strictly speaking English literature they wouldn't let me do it. None the less it is a really good novel.
    There's also Douglas Coupland 'Girlfriend in a Coma' which I bought just yesterday, so unfortunately I can't tell you what it's like, but I think you'd quite like it. I'd urge you to check out books for teenagers, even though it is slightly younger there are a lot of amazing love stories lurking on that side of the bookstore.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure we like all the same kinds of books, but here are a few titles that I read and liked:

The Night Circus
    Rain of Gold
    The Art of Racing in the Rain
    Sarah's Key
    Monique & the Mango Rain
    Dandelion Wine
    The Red Tent
    The Time Traveler's Wife
    The Birth House
    The Color of Water

Let me know if you read any of them and like them! Happy Reading!

Caron

I've heard a lot of good things about the Night Circus, if anyone reads / has read this please let me know what you think of it ?
    and I read the Time Travellers Wife a few years ago and loved it :D. Thank you for the amazing suggestions :)
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Dan Brown's Inferno. It's a good read. But, I like Dan Brown books!!
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you like romance you really can't go wrong with any of the Nora Roberts books. A lot of her books have the romance and a bit of a mystery intertwined, her other books tend to be trilogies and I really like those as well. I'm also a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books that the show Trueblood is based off of. I'm getting ready to start The Mortal Instruments series, so I can't give an opinion on that. Hope these help!
  • MsSophySticated
    MsSophySticated Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Danielle Steel also, she's an amazing author and has so many books too :smile: I'm a big Nicholas Sparks fan too!
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Jenny Colgan and Lindsey Kelk are also great authors from the romance genre. Though the heroines in Colgan's books often have their own cupcake cafes or sweet shops and that may now be the best to read while you're losing weight. ;)
  • rachael116
    Options
    I really liked Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann. It is a mystery novel; very creative and not scary. I wouldn't say it is realistic, but it was entertaining.

Crystaleyed - Night Circus was great! I really enjoyed that book a lot.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading
    The Book Thief, very goid book
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult is one of my favorites
    ann rule has some good one if u like true crime

I also like Danielle Steele or Dale Cramer if u like amish stories
  • LifeItself
    Options
    Anything John Green, Ned Vizzini, or David Levithan.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid reader and can get into all sorts. The Hunger Games trilogy is definitely worth a go and I'm a sucker for anything by Stephen King. I recommend 11.22.63 about the Kennedy assassination (topical), had me riveted, especially as a Brit helping me to understand just what a moment in modern history it was. If you like sci-fi post-apocalyptic stuff then try The Passage by Justin Cronin, also the original World War Z book by Max Brooks ( I haven't seen the film but I hear it's well watered down). Finally, I'm happily re-discovering Jane Austen and finished Emma last night. See how eclectic my tastes are???