Can someone explain these phrases?

Options
Ghlt4
Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
I've been following a running thread on the exercise and fitness board and there are a few things I'm not clear on.

I've not long completed C25k and run my first race on Thanksgiving day. I'm still not quite able to run the full 5k. I'm up to 2.5 miles so I should make it by November. It's taken me 5 months to get this far!!!

Anyway back to my questions.

I've read you should only increase your distance by no more than 10% per week. 10% of what? Is it the miles you can run or the total distance of running and walking?

Also what are drop back weeks?

I run 3x per week and am currently doing
,Monday 1.75 miles solid running plus walking/running for approx another mile
Wednesday 2.5 solid miles running plus walking/running for another 1/2 mile
Friday 1.5 miles solid running plus walking for another 3/4 mile.

Is this too little either side of my longer run?

Sorry there's so many questions.

Replies

• FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    First of all: Way to go! Be Awesome!

Second: The 10% is of the previous week's workout. If you're doing C25K, it's basically built in for you.

Drop-back weeks are when you intentionally run less in a week. If you would normally run 15m, you could drop back to 10m to give yourself a break when it gets really tiring.

If I understand correctly. I mean, I've never had the definition spelled out for me, so it's just my own assumption from having also been following running threads and what not.

Finally: Holy amazing on your progress!

ETA: I don't think I'm qualified to give you proper advice on your run plan. I really am only just finding my own fit.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well done on your progress so far!

The 10% usually refers to your longest run. If your longest run session is actually a run, walk, run type session then I believe it would apply to the total distance.

Dropback weeks are pretty much as FloraSin described, where you drop your distance for a week to give your body recovery time.

With only running 3 times a week and shorter distances (Not that I can really speak about shorter, I'm only just on 5k a run) I believe you would be fine to have all your runs around the same distance if your body is up to it. The true long run usually comes in when you start doing 4 sessions a week.

I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong though.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Thanks for your help.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The 10% refers to the total distance (it's also called your "base") = 6 miles per week. So, you shouldn't add more than half a mile a week at this point.

Your long run should be no more that 1/3-1/2 of your total base (so no more than 2-3 miles). My plan started me with a "long run" right after I graduated from C25k. I still haven't managed to squeeze in 4 runs a week and I'm doing a half marathon in two weeks.

You aren't at this point, but speed work should also be no more than 10% of your base. My plan didn't start me on speed work until I had a 10 mile weekly base.

The drop back week refers to a week where you run fewer miles or with less intensity (or both) in order to give your body a period of active recovery.

Until you learn all the arguments pro and con for each of these suggestions (and there are bunches) it's best to stick with a reputable pre-set running program. However, it's great that you are questioning what goes in to the design of the plan. It'll make you a smarter runner. I can point you in the direction of some books if you're interested.

There are a number of Couch to 5k plans and apps out there that are built on these guidelines. Runner's World has a SmartCoach training planner that allows you to set your own level and goals, the book Train Like a Mother has some great plans, Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway also have plans for each race distance, just to name a few.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    The 10% refers to the total distance (it's also called your "base") = 6 miles per week. So, you shouldn't add more than half a mile a week at this point.

Your long run should be no more that 1/3-1/2 of your total base (so no more than 2-3 miles). My plan started me with a "long run" right after I graduated from C25k. I still haven't managed to squeeze in 4 runs a week and I'm doing a half marathon in two weeks.

You aren't at this point, but speed work should also be no more than 10% of your base. My plan didn't start me on speed work until I had a 10 mile weekly base.

The drop back week refers to a week where you run fewer miles or with less intensity (or both) in order to give your body a period of active recovery.

Until you learn all the arguments pro and con for each of these suggestions (and there are bunches) it's best to stick with a reputable pre-set running program. However, it's great that you are questioning what goes in to the design of the plan. It'll make you a smarter runner. I can point you in the direction of some books if you're interested.

There are a number of Couch to 5k plans and apps out there that are built on these guidelines. Runner's World has a SmartCoach training planner that allows you to set your own level and goals, the book Train Like a Mother has some great plans, Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway also have plans for each race distance, just to name a few.

That's so much your information was very helpful. I hoped you'd reply:)

I've finished C25k but I'm still not able to run the 3 miles. I've been adding about 0.3 miles per week so I will increase that next week. My base running/walking is 8-9 miles a week. So I think I will increase my running by 1/2 a mile per week (if I can) for the next few weeks. The furthest I've run is 2.5 miles, that was last week. I plan on that being my long run again this week. The next week I will try for 3 miles.

I'm doing my first 5k on Nov 28th. The turkey trot and I want to be able to run the whole thing!!!

Thanks again!
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Sorry two more questions.

How often should you do the drop back weeks?

What do you think of the B210k app? I have some reservations about it because I really don't want to go back to interval running.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Sorry two more questions.

How often should you do the drop back weeks?

What do you think of the B210k app? I have some reservations about it because I really don't want to go back to interval running.

My plans have always had them every four weeks (Remember I've only been running 11 months)

I didn't go straight to the 10k programs because 1) I felt like intervals were a step back (they're not) and 2) I "didn't have time" for the longer runs (I ended up doing longer runs anyway). Retrospectively, I should have just done a 10k plan.

However, if you really, really don't wanna, go to Runner's World. Under the "Training and Plans" tab, you will see the SmartCoach link. http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/

This is free. Click on New Plan and enter your current running miles, your mile time, your intensity level, etc and your race date and it will use the general formulas to tailor a plan to your needs. You can hit New Plan and tweak everything as much as you want until it looks right.

I write the schedule on my home calendar and jigger it a little bit to fit my needs. I have the time to do my long run on Tuesday and the other two runs on Thursday and Sunday. Then I cross train on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    I'll check the website out thanks.

What cross training do you do?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Pilates and lifting. I was doing new rules until the half marathon started kicking my butt.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Pilates and lifting. I was doing new rules until the half marathon started kicking my butt.

Ok, thanks.

One last question. The 10% per week, do you add it to one run or spread it over the weeks runs.

I ran 5k this morning for the first time!! My race is in 5 weeks.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Ok, thanks.

One last question. The 10% per week, do you add it to one run or spread it over the weeks runs.

I ran 5k this morning for the first time!! My race is in 5 weeks.

Usually one run. I'd probably add it to your long run until you hit three miles and then start bumping up your shortest run.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Ok, thanks.