Moonface

Options
beckyhoo
beckyhoo Posts: 34 Member
Hi all -

Just needing to vent and commiserate a little today.

I started on Prednisone in January at 40mg per day, briefly went down to 35 mg and am now at 60 mg for complications of dermatomyositis. I'm hoping my rheumy is going to get me on some other meds very soon and start to decrease the Pred dose.

Over the past couple weeks, I've noticed my face looking more and more round - the dreaded moonface side effect. I'm frustrated because, as I lose weight, my face should be looking thinner, not puffier! Anyone else dealing with this? Or other side effects you want to vent about?

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've been on prednisone off and on for the last 15 years due to extreme asthma. I've gained about 40 pounds on it but have recently really started to lose the weight. My highest was 188 pounds. Right now I'm at about 169.

I think I have seen my face change over the years but I've been on it so long I can't even tell anymore.

What I'm most worried about it the chance that the weight gain will lead to diabetes which runs rampant on my dad's side of the family. That and bone issues.

Hopefully you will be able to get off the prednisone soon but as my doctor once told me, would I rather be thinner but dead or alive for my kids and a little bit puffier. I will take the puffy, but I also insisted on a change in meds. It seems to have helped.
  • sexyslimkim
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. And people are so insensitive. I get negative comments from everyone, esppecially those at work. My face is the first thing they noticed that has changed. I have been on prednisone for 2 years with no time frame to get off. I did come across some face exercises on youtube. See how they work out!