Mind if a newbie joins your group?

Options
Skye_NS
Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
Hi Everyone,
I am really new to swimming. In April I took a basics class to get used to swimming in deep water & treading, my goal was to be able to start swimming for fitness. I'm now in a strokes class and struggling with the front crawl - breathing in particular. I always end up with water up my nose around the mid point in our pool (25 m). I'm also very slow. My instructor is a nice guy, he keeps encouraging me and saying that I'm doing things correctly - kicking from the hip, no bent knees, etc - but I'm not going anywhere! I know it's not something you learn over night but it would be nice to complete a few laps without looking like an idiot. :/ Our class is made up of a wide range of skill levels (2 newbies, 1 intermediate & 2 triathletes) so I'm not sure how much longer we will be focusing on things like this.

Would anyone care to share any tips? I really love swimming but I'm getting really frustrated that I can't get past the breathing issues. Thanks!

Replies

• ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Are you being coached to breathe on both sides? I've heard people swear up and down that this is the best way to do it if you want to avoid stress injuries, but I've swam for 16+ years, some of it competitively, and I've only breathed on my right side. It feels unnatural to breathe left. I haven't had an injury yet. The point is that sometimes it's better to breathe comfortably and get into a rhythm.

Aside from that, all I can tell you is that maybe you are exhaling a little too hard as soon as your face gets in the water. It feels natural to want to exhale out your nose hard as soon as your face is in the water, but if you release it more slowly, you'll be better off. Remember: in through the mouth, out through the nose. It's backwards breathing.
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    Yes, they are saying to breathe on both sides, 3 strokes & up on the 4th.

I tend to automatically start breathing out through my mouth and I'm having a terrible time making the switch to breathing out through my nose. It's almost like my brain is refusing to let me breath backwards, as you put it. :( So you're right, I am probably try start off exhaling to fast once my face is in the water. I'll watch for it next swim.

Thank you!
  • ElBence
    Options
    Breathe on one side and see if that helps. Swimmers are naturally more comfortable breathing on their dominant side. For example, my dad, who is left handed, breathes left while I breathe right as a right hander. I breathe every stroke during my right arm recovery (that's when its coming out of the water and going through to extend forward for the next stroke). The only exception to this is when I'm sprinting, and then I breath every other stroke or even every third stroke. You may or may not be subject to repetitive stress injuries with one sided breathing. I haven't had it happen to me, and I've swam 113 miles in the last two and a half months with a good majority of that as freestyle. You might get harped on by your coach/teacher for breathing on one side, but try it out and see if it helps you get in a better rhythm.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It might sound silly, but try doing backwards breathing when you aren't swimming. Another thing that might help is either using a kickboard with your arms completely out stretched and your face in the water and every time you feel like you need a breathe, take one like you would if you were doing the whole stroke. Or, use a pull bouy so that all you have to worry about is your arms and breathing. Granted, this does not help you with the whole stroke in itself, but to me the more comfortable you are with your breathing the more able you are to focus on your stroke and swimming. I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Do you do yoga? That can screw with the breathing, because it's backwards.

I breathe under the raised arm on threes. It just works for me. Whatever works for you.
  • ElBence
    Options
    It might sound silly, but try doing backwards breathing when you aren't swimming.

^Doing this will help tremendously. You might even try this on an eliptical or a treadmill so that you're used to doing cardio while breathing backwards.
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    Do you do yoga? That can screw with the breathing, because it's backwards.

I breathe under the raised arm on threes. It just works for me. Whatever works for you.
    I do yoga occasionally on the wii fit but I never seem to get my breathing correct on there either. Forgive the silly question, i it backwards-backwards or backwards to swimming? I'm going to try the 3 count, today I found I was waiting 4 or 5 and was almost hyperventilating by the time I passed the mid-point.

It might sound silly, but try doing backwards breathing when you aren't swimming. Another thing that might help is either using a kickboard with your arms completely out stretched and your face in the water and every time you feel like you need a breathe, take one like you would if you were doing the whole stroke. Or, use a pull bouy so that all you have to worry about is your arms and breathing. Granted, this does not help you with the whole stroke in itself, but to me the more comfortable you are with your breathing the more able you are to focus on your stroke and swimming. I hope this helps! Good luck!
    I'm sitting at the computer trying it right now! lol I won't make it back to the pool before my class on Sunday, I think I'm going to ask if we can try the pull bouy then. Thanks for the tips!
    ^Doing this will help tremendously. You might even try this on an elliptical or a treadmill so that you're used to doing cardio while breathing backwards.
    Perfect, I'll give it a try on the elliptical asap.
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    Oh! I forgot to add. I did get in for a swim today & had some small successes. I struggled a lot, as usual, but near the end something that someone in the c25k group said popped into my head, "Slow down and relax. If you think you are going slow, go slower." So I did and I made it a full length without choking or switching to my back. I had know idea how tense I was through my back and shoulders until I tried that.

I'm not saying it solved my problems, I still struggled with all the same issues, but it was a start! :smile:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Are you being coached to breathe on both sides? I've heard people swear up and down that this is the best way to do it if you want to avoid stress injuries, but I've swam for 16+ years, some of it competitively, and I've only breathed on my right side. It feels unnatural to breathe left. I haven't had an injury yet. The point is that sometimes it's better to breathe comfortably and get into a rhythm.

Like you I spent most of my adult life breathing out of one side. Never competitive swimming though.
    When I started swimming over a mile I found I needed to change my breathing to balance myself better. I am prone to degenerative osteoarthritis and already have it in one shoulder.
    At first, the opposite side felt unnatural. It took about 100 miles of laps but it feels completely natural on both sides.

But breathing out of both sides is by no means required. Everyone finds a system that works for them. The leading gold medal swimmer only breaths out of one side. But he has massive lung capacity and breathes only every 4th stroke, if that frequently.

I've seen some swimmers work too hard lifting their head and shoulders out of the water to breathe. Strikes me as rather inefficient. But maybe they learn to swim in rough water.

Getting off the beta blocker definitely helped my breathing because the drug was limiting how fast my heart could beat and thus restricting O2 flow. Doing a lot better without it now.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i only breath on one side. i havent even attempted to breath on the other side. i breath out the right hand side at the start of my right hand stroke.

main reason i guess is that other than the fact that i i dont know if i could actually turn left to breath as it feels weird, i cant hold my breath for 3 strokes but breathing every stroke would be stupid.

and dont worry, 3 weeks ago i could only make 25m before i had to stop for breath. can do 50m now
  • sandytaffy
    sandytaffy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to help teach an adults swim class. A lot of the students had a terrible fear of water. You don't seem to be, so already you are ahead of the game. One of the drills we would have them do is while hanging out at the shallow end ( or any where you can stand and have your head out of the water) is practice bobbing. Are you familiar with bobbing? I am a shortie so the very shallow end is good for me. While standing, take a deep breath, submerge your self-bending knees-as soon as your head, at about your lips or even chin, enters the water begin slowly blowing air out of your nose. Have enough air to continue blowing out your nose as you raise yourself (head) back out of the water. I still do this whenever I have a few moments or just before I finish my swimming my laps.

When you are comfortable with that then you can go into deeper and deeper water, until you are exhaling out your nose all the way to the bottom of the pool and back up again to take another breath and head on back to the bottom of the pool again.

At home on weekends, I would have them submerge their faces in a large bowl of water (large enough to accommodate their entire face) (which is sitting on a table low enough to bend at the waist). The student takes a deep breath, puts the face in the water while blowing out slowly from their nose. The swiveling the neck to turn the face some air can be inhaled through the mouth. Be sure to not lift your head. Swivel.

I think it is wonderful that you are a newbie, I expect you will have years of swimming enjoyment. Good luck to you.

I hope this was not too long and more important I hope you were able to understand, as I am a better demonstrator than I am a writer.
  • sandytaffy
    sandytaffy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I hope you have room for one more. I too swim as often as I am able. I find it a very relaxing way to get in my exercise. And, by reading your replies, I think you will be a great motivator; as I hope to be a motivator in return. I breath on one side, too. My left side, though I am right handed. As long as I have been swimming I have never been able to get comfortable breathing on my right side. I feel like I am drowning. But, thanks to a previous post, I will begin practicing (and attempt to swim 100 laps). I only am able to swim two to three times per week.

I look forward to reading everything you all have to say.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i tried breathing on two sides after 3 strokes last night.

1) i nearly didnt make the third stroke
    2) i was so unco i barely got much breath in
    3) i had to breath to the right again on the next stroke.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    i tried breathing on two sides after 3 strokes last night.

1) i nearly didnt make the third stroke
    2) i was so unco i barely got much breath in
    3) i had to breath to the right again on the next stroke.

As your endurance and physical conditioning improve, so will your breathing. Initially I had trouble making it to the third stroke.
    Just takes time. At one time I could barely make 6 laps. Now my short swim is 15 times that.
    Just keep at it.
    I also found that the beta blocker i was on for migraines was keeping my heart rate artificially low. The effect of this was that my heart could not deliver oxygen as fast as my effort wanted to burn it. So I kicked the beta blocker. No more migraines either. Must have been due to weight related physical stress.
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey Skye,

I think I am about the same level as you!
    I have just joined an adult improvers swimming class at my local pool as I really want to learn front crawl.
    I am struggling with breathing too. I think I'm concentrating so hard on everything else that I just forget to breath!
    Anyway I got some advice from our instructor who suggested hanging on to the edge of the pool with your face in the water and doing the kick as usual. Then turn your head when you need to breath - and you can alternate sides if you want.
    He then suggested using two floats - one under each arm and kicking along the pool taking one arm back when you need to turn your head and breath.
    I'm going to try this!
    Hope that makes sense!
    Lx
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Hey Skye,

I think I am about the same level as you!
    I have just joined an adult improvers swimming class at my local pool as I really want to learn front crawl.
    I am struggling with breathing too. I think I'm concentrating so hard on everything else that I just forget to breath!
    Anyway I got some advice from our instructor who suggested hanging on to the edge of the pool with your face in the water and doing the kick as usual. Then turn your head when you need to breath - and you can alternate sides if you want.
    He then suggested using two floats - one under each arm and kicking along the pool taking one arm back when you need to turn your head and breath.
    I'm going to try this!
    Hope that makes sense!
    Lx

You have the right attitude. Persistence is the key. Set a reasonable goal, say breathing okay from one side, then set a new goal. Before long you will feel like you are ready to do a triathlon :)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    LAURA
    Relax, slow down, you will actualy swin faster.
    Remember with each stroke you are holding a ball of water,
    if you push too fast you shred the water and do not get the power from it.
  • swim_anyway
    Options
    When I first got back in the pool about a year ago, I had breath problems also. It turned out it was at least partly just tension freezing up my lungs. It still happens when I try to swim in a cold outdoor pool. I started to visualize relaxing my hands and feet every few laps, and after a few more laps it would go away. The reverse breathing, though? I didn't know about that; I've probably been mouth breathing only.