Progesterone Only Pill?

Options
Hi ladies,

I recently got my first diagnosis after twelve years and thankfully I am in the lucky position that I only have mild endo. Although I did warn my other half not to throw that 'mild' word about when I'm in pain ;)

In any case, the reason I am writing is that my GP has now given my a repeat prescription for my pain meds, so hopefully no more accusations of being an addict when I go down there begging for codeine, and a prescription for the Progesterone Only Pill.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with it?

I seem to manage to get every side effect possible, and I know my body takes serious issue to being messed about with. In my teenage years I took three different combined pills and two absolutely pickled me in spots, one gave me horrendous moods and the other increased the frequency of my migranes hugely. I stopped taking them for hormone tests when my hair started falling out (something that they never got to the bottom of).

I know it sounds like such a crappy reason to be worried, especially when some of you are dealing with much more severe consequences, but I am terrified that taking it will make me lose more hair and put on weight that I've struggled so hard to lose over the last couple of years. All my GP said when I mentioned these fears was "Well, it shouldn't do.." :/

Replies

• smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My GP recently suggested I went on a similar pill, mainly for the breast pain issues I was getting, as well as stopping my periods, which she thought would help with the endo. I mentioned that I came off the pill 10 years previously, as I suffered with side effects, mainly horrible moods and weight gain, but she seemed unconcerned. I was also reassured back then that my weight gain had nothing to do with the pill. Funny how this is a VERY common complaint amongst women on the pill... Anyway, I took my prescription home and did a lot of research into the pill in question (sorry, I can't remember what it was called) and threw it in the bin. In my opinion, the side effects, mainly heavy continuous bleeding, outweighed the problems I'm currently suffering. I also hate the idea of messing with my hormones and try to live a chemical-free lifestyle in order to try and manage this evil illness.

Sorry that's not hugely helpful, as it provides you with no answers, but I thought I'd share my experience!
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My GP recently suggested I went on a similar pill, mainly for the breast pain issues I was getting, as well as stopping my periods, which she thought would help with the endo. I mentioned that I came off the pill 10 years previously, as I suffered with side effects, mainly horrible moods and weight gain, but she seemed unconcerned. I was also reassured back then that my weight gain had nothing to do with the pill. Funny how this is a VERY common complaint amongst women on the pill... Anyway, I took my prescription home and did a lot of research into the pill in question (sorry, I can't remember what it was called) and threw it in the bin. In my opinion, the side effects, mainly heavy continuous bleeding, outweighed the problems I'm currently suffering. I also hate the idea of messing with my hormones and try to live a chemical-free lifestyle in order to try and manage this evil illness.

Sorry that's not hugely helpful, as it provides you with no answers, but I thought I'd share my experience!

Not at all, it's backing up what I'm thinking to be honest.

The other thing which may seem petty is that, although this pill is a birth control pill which is a free prescription, because I've been prescribed it as a lower dose for endo and not birth control I'd have to pay. £7.90 for a months supply. A bit of a kick in the teeth. :/

I'm thinking I may see how I go for a few months after the lap and clean up of my insides. I don't think I want to bother with it unless I have to.
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I seriously can't take any prescription birth control or hormones...the side effects are just too many, and my body doesn't like it. I can't take any foods or herbals with even phytoestrogens either. Yet, I did decide to explore further, and I tried a natural progesterone balance crème called Kokoro. It uses bio-identical progesterone from only natural sources and all natural ingredients. I've been using it for several months now, and it really does seem to help. I was having my cycles as close as 14 days apart prior (and for me, this usually means it's time for surgery), but after the Kokoro, it has gradually extended my cycles to over 22 days apart. It's also helping reduce some pain, and seems to be a part of helping eliminate my insomnia. The only real side effect I've gotten from it was the first few times, it made me feel tired. --yet, for me that was a good side effect. lol

Here is an interesting website on natural alternatives for relieving endo: http://www.endo-resolved.com/alternative.html

--It has some very good information on many alternatives, including the use of natural progesterone creams instead of prescription synthetic versions. At worst, it's a very informative site. Everyone deals with this disease differently, and what works for one may not work for another. It's just really good to look into all options available either way. Good luck! =)
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My body and my pain does much, much better when I'm on a birth control. I've been on Nuvaring for years, which is super easy and I can replace them back to back to avoid having a cycle, since that's always the worst time for me. I'm about to switch to a pill (generic so it'll be free) that is designed for 4 cycles a year. That's more than I have now, but doable.

I also have a pain prescription that I take as needed.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, I'm just so torn about it, especially as I've just had another shed of hair recently so it's currently really thin even though their is little regrowth these are only about an inch or so long at the minute so they aren't helping with regaining the thickness of my hair just yet. I know it's just an appearance thing, but it really gets me down. I spend so much time and energy worrying about it, I just don't want to make it any worse. I could probably cope with the other side effects, just not weight gain, having spent ages getting to my goal weight and not the hair loss. And it may or may not even happen!

Not helped by the latest Endo attack being the worst I have ever had, literally incapacitated for three days. I couldn't move or eat without feeling like I was going to throw up, pass out or both. And I threw up all my pain meds when I took them and couldn't take more on an empty stomach. Catch 22.

I only had surgery in July, I guess that didn't do much. Slightly worried based on the last experience that it may have somehow made matters worse, but hoping on the more sensible side that it was just a random bad one.

I shall definately look at the site recommended, thank you!