Low Carb Bagel Recipe

Options
GabyBaby916
GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
With the kids back in school, I've been officially been in my fall "nesting" mode (knitting, baking, etc).
I love, love, LOVE to cook and bake and low carb baking in particular is a fun experiment.
Generally I use mixes of almond and coconut flours to bake my own breads. Here's a recipe for low carb bagels that I found and played with:

• 1 cup almond flour
• 2 Tbsp coconut flour
• 1/2 cup flax seed meal
• 1/4 cup protein powder (or quinoa flour)
• 2 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 eggs
• 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 3 Tbsp water
• 2-3 packets Splenda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

If you want toppings you can add poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion or garlic flakes, etc. Just sprinkle them on top before you bake.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together.
3. Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, then mix into the dry ingredients.
4. Mix everything well.
5. Use a lightly sprayed donut pan to make 6 bagels.
(I didn't have a donut pan the first time I made the recipe. I used 6 ramikens, popped them onto a baking sheet, and lined them with foil. I then sprayed with cooking spray, then put equal amounts of dough in each. I then wiggled my finger in the middle to spread the dough apart and made a hole.)
6. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Cool completely and store refrigerated.

They tasted good as is, but taste REALLY great when you toast them. I like mine plain (no toppings) with a bit of peanut butter spread on them.

Using MFP's recipe function and with the protein powder I used, the nutrition info for each bagel is:
Calories – 237
Carbs – 9g
Fiber – 6g
Protein – 12g
Fat – 19g
***3g net carbs***

If you use the quinoa flour instead, the nutrition info per bagel is:
Calories – 241
Carbs – 11g
Fiber – 6g
Protein – 10g
Fat – 19g
***5g net carbs***

NOTE: If your ramikens are too large, the dough will spread a bit and your bagel will be too thin to slice easily.

Replies