CrossFit gear recommendations from an experienced coach

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I totally agree with the negatives. The same thing works for ring dips.

I can't even support myself on the rings for more than a second. I might start doing regular dips (on a pair of bars) to help get that strength back.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    A good thread this. Would you recommend any resistance bands for people who struggle with pull ups?

We always to banded pull-ups for those of us (like me) who are building strength.
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    A good thread this. Would you recommend any resistance bands for people who struggle with pull ups?

Personally, I would not recommend bands for developing strength for pull ups. Here is what I have seen; someone new to the gym uses a red and purple band for doing pull ups because they cannot do a dead hang pull up. Over a period of time, say, 6 months, where initially they could only do 5 pull ups with the red and purple bands, they can now bang out 20. The problem is, they are still no closer to doing 1 dead hang pull up than they were on day 1. What happens is that the body gets really efficient at doing scaled pull ups.

The best way to develop pull ups is:
    1. Doing pull up negatives. Use a box to hop up on the pull up bar get you chin over the bar. Lower yourself down a slowly as possible. Do a few sets of this a few times/week but don't go overboard because too much can cause Rhabdo.

2. Loose weight: you will rarely hear a coach say this in a gym because weight is a sensitive topic. But look around you. Who are the people in the gym struggling with pull ups and who are the ones that do them with ease? You will notice that the lean folks have a much easier time of pull ups.

My only problem with this is you can use different resistance bands as you progress. As you get stronger you start using lighter and lighter bands until you are weened off of them. ALL negative work of muscle groups can cause Rhabdo if not done properly or done in super-high rep ranges. I'd definitely ask your Box's coaching staff before doing any negative work.
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting CrossFit shoes....

Now the great question....which ones are the best?

The Reebok Lifters are awesome. The U-Form makes them shape to your feet so there is ZERO sliding around inside. For a great WOD lifter try the Reeboks. I saw instant results in my form and lift strength when wearing them. Now if you are going strict Oly then you may want to consider more high end lifters.

As for WOD shoes there are a ton of options out there. You need to try on each brand (if possible) and judge for yourself. However, if you want a bulletproof shoe, the Nano 3's are built to last. I've seen Minimus and Innov-8's rip apart on rope climbs where the Nano 3's are barely scuffed. Also for wider feet the Nano's are great. The fact that actual CrossFitters were involved in the engineering really shows.

My coach has worn his Innov-8's literally to the ground and just got a pair of 3's last week. he was skeptical about them till he did his first box jumps and rope ascents with them. He's a huge fan now. He doesn't like them for running long distances in WODs but for sprinting and 400's he likes them fine.

If you are buying your CrossFit shoes for 'style' then you need to rethink your priorities LOL. At $100-$150 a pair get what you need for the work, not what matches your socks. ;-) That being said, if you have the extra $$$ and don't like the stock Nano 3 styles you can always design your own custom Nano 3's on Reebok's web site and they will build them to your design and ship to you.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options

The Reebok Lifters are awesome. The U-Form makes them shape to your feet so there is ZERO sliding around inside. For a great WOD lifter try the Reeboks. I saw instant results in my form and lift strength when wearing them. Now if you are going strict Oly then you may want to consider more high end lifters.

As for WOD shoes there are a ton of options out there. You need to try on each brand (if possible) and judge for yourself. However, if you want a bulletproof shoe, the Nano 3's are built to last. I've seen Minimus and Innov-8's rip apart on rope climbs where the Nano 3's are barely scuffed. Also for wider feet the Nano's are great. The fact that actual CrossFitters were involved in the engineering really shows.

My coach has worn his Innov-8's literally to the ground and just got a pair of 3's last week. he was skeptical about them till he did his first box jumps and rope ascents with them. He's a huge fan now. He doesn't like them for running long distances in WODs but for sprinting and 400's he likes them fine.

If you are buying your CrossFit shoes for 'style' then you need to rethink your priorities LOL. At $100-$150 a pair get what you need for the work, not what matches your socks. ;-) That being said, if you have the extra $$$ and don't like the stock Nano 3 styles you can always design your own custom Nano 3's on Reebok's web site and they will build them to your design and ship to you.

Wswwillams67 is right in that rope climbs can tear up a pair of shoes. I was fortunate enough to get over a year out of my first pair of Inov-8 195's. The new Inov-8's have a rope guard on them and should hold up for rope climbs. A brand that Reebok or Inov-8 that designs their shoes specifically with the rigors of CrossFit in mind is a good idea.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think of just old school Chuck Taylors for crossfit?

Seems to be quite a few people rocking them. Pretty low budge solution..
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I would just hold off on kipping in general until you can do about 5-7 dead hang pull ups. Your shoulders will thank you for it.

amen!!

To add to the pullups discussion -- Jumping pullups helped me personally. Trying to jump *just* enough to be able to do the rest on your own.

One thing to mention about doing negatives...they are pretty effective in helping you with your pullups, but rhabdo tends to make itself more known when people are doing negatives over and over...so just be careful and don't go to muscle failure.

Lastly...Grease the Groove!
    Invest in a $35 door hanging pullup bar. Do some negatives or jumping pullups (or jumping pullups and negatives together!) everytime you walk past that door. I went from doing none to 4 strict within 6 weeks by doing that.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think of just old school Chuck Taylors for crossfit?

Seems to be quite a few people rocking them. Pretty low budge solution..

They are the original minimalist athletic shoe. Zero drop and solid, stable sole for lifting. That said, I have tried CrossFit in Chucks and hated it. They are heavy and throw me off on running, box jumps, jumping rope. I prefer a lightweight shoe. If you are on a budget of $40 (which is questionable if you are paying out the booty for a CrossFit membership) it is a good place to start.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ... If you are on a budget of $40 (which is questionable if you are paying out the booty for a CrossFit membership) it is a good place to start.

lol
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    ... If you are on a budget of $40 (which is questionable if you are paying out the booty for a CrossFit membership) it is a good place to start.

lol

136.gif
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i got my first strict pull-up after 10 months just recently... i practiced 3x a week using the smallest band possible to get 3 strict, OR... (what i think did it for me) was practiced ring rows with my feet on a box or when i got stronger i even had my body at a decline and my grip in a straight plane like the rig. boom. tried out a strict one after a WOD one day and got it c2b no problem :)
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    They are the original minimalist athletic shoe. Zero drop and solid, stable sole for lifting. That said, I have tried CrossFit in Chucks and hated it. They are heavy and throw me off on running, box jumps, jumping rope. I prefer a lightweight shoe. If you are on a budget of $40 (which is questionable if you are paying out the booty for a CrossFit membership) it is a good place to start.

Nahhh I'm just a shoe junky, I have way way too many as it is including 3-4 pairs of chucks... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I second the neoprene knee protectors and lifting belt.

I have the reebok lifting shoe and the nano 2's. While I really like the stability I got doing heavy squats & OHS (with the lifting shoe), I found I got better control when using the belt. Fine when working on skills, not so good when doing WOD's. I hated wearing my lifting shoes for WOD's and would always switch back to my nano's.
    HOWEVER, I feel my nano's wrecked my ankles and achilles tendons doing BJ's and DU's. But that could be also due to age and wear and tear (10+ years as a gymnast).
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Wswwillams67 is right in that rope climbs can tear up a pair of shoes. I was fortunate enough to get over a year out of my first pair of Inov-8 195's. The new Inov-8's have a rope guard on them and should hold up for rope climbs. A brand that Reebok or Inov-8 that designs their shoes specifically with the rigors of CrossFit in mind is a good idea.

I switched from VFFs to Inov-8 195's early this year and I have to say the rope protect is pretty good (although the sole could use a little bit of reinforcement because I've managed to do enough rope climbs that you can tell which shoe usually is on top of the rope...but I also have used them for A LOT of rope climbs....). Also since we're talking Inov-8 I figured I'd share a link for the Clymb (http://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/MaxwellSissman). Every few weeks (probably once a month or every other) they'll have Inov-8s among the deals on the site. They also do a lot of fitness related gear on the cheap (or at least cheaper/discounted).

I also have a discount code (20% off from what I understand) for Hylete apparel which is CPTG4DFST. They have excellent workout shorts and I've heard great things about their jackets/hoodies (at some point I'll need to get around to one). Hylete also does deals pretty often for their stuff.

I hope folks don't mind me sharing these, but seemed pretty on topic and could help folks out!

Oh and since jump ropes were mentioned I'll go ahead and say I went with Rx Jump Rope. They are definitely worth the money since you size it for you, you pick a cable that is right for your level (or cables for where you are and where you want to be), and comfortable handles. There are other companies out that put out good jump ropes and have folks that really know their stuff, but even just the comfort of the handles is worth it.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues with minimalist shoes and my ankle. Basically it feels like there isn't enough ankle support when I do anything with any impact. Can you do CF in regular crosstrainers??
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues with minimalist shoes and my ankle. Basically it feels like there isn't enough ankle support when I do anything with any impact. Can you do CF in regular crosstrainers??

You could see about more supportive shoes for run heavy workouts...for lifting you want to have something solid to stand on.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

You need to make sure you are modifying how you run to land on your forefoot. Even then it's going to take some time for your muscles and ligaments to adapt to a new way of doing things.

We do a running group at my box every Tuesday and I've found that modifying my style to a forefoot strike is really beneficial. It will take a few months to fully adjust but to me it just feels like I'm expending half the energy to go faster than I was as a heel striker.
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    Great tips!