Joints

Options
cbarn025
cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
After awhile lifting heavy starts to suck. It's always my left elbow that has pain. Suggestions on supplements or gear? I recently started wearing a sleeve and that helps some.

Replies

• lifting4fun
    Options
    Hi,
    Are you benching via powerlifting or bodybuilding style ? bench press is a compound move and will not cause large gains in the upper and lower pec

Powerlifting style places much less stress on the posterior deltoid , more emphasis placed on the triceps's and pectoris, and the upper lats

Powerlifting you have the bar in your hands shoulder width apart...visualize " bending " the bar...your elbows should rotate inward apx 10%, now visualize " pulling " the weight to your sternum, don't just let its weight drop , pause at the sternum..then " snap " the bar up...your elbows will naturally rotate back out - Also it is important that you have your traps dug into the bench, and your shoulder blade pulled together, with a bit of an exaggerated arch in your lower back...keep your butt down through the lift , make sure you tension your core/legs, push the heels down.

Bodybuilding you are going for higher reps to OL the type2, and " pump " muscles with glycon.Also the lifting style causing a huge load ( overload ) on the poorly supported posterior deltoid and outer pect due to no support if NOT coming down to the sternum, AND having the elbows out higher towards your shoulders. This will cause a huge load on the elbows

Incline bench engages 85% of the posterior delt, very little of the upper pec...try " Reverse Grip bench press on the flat bench instead , you will see rapid gains if your intent is to isolate the upper pec , while not blowing your shoulders out you will need to lift up at a 45 degree angle and have your hands very wide for this movement

I haven't seen your lifting form so I cannot do anything but guess what could cause the elbow pain

Hope this helps,
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I had to fix my bench form when I noticed my shoulders then wrist pain. Do you get the elbow pain after or during a part during the lift. Heavy lifts especially RP 9's are going to wreck your CNS if you don't give yourself enough time to recover. I'd make sure that bar path is even and perhaps to see if your elbow is in its socket.

Every once in a while my soreness is definitely attributed to a joint not being seated perfectly.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My knuckles been hurting and I've been experiencing some tendonitis as well as ligament soreness. I've started stretching more and doing yoga stretches and that had helped. I stretch my hands too by pushing back on them and that relieved knuckles.

Still, contemplating extra supps myself.

Eta: spelling
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    Options
    Hi,
    Are you benching via powerlifting or bodybuilding style ? bench press is a compound move and will not cause large gains in the upper and lower pec

Powerlifting style places much less stress on the posterior deltoid , more emphasis placed on the triceps's and pectoris, and the upper lats

Powerlifting you have the bar in your hands shoulder width apart...visualize " bending " the bar...your elbows should rotate inward apx 10%, now visualize " pulling " the weight to your sternum, don't just let its weight drop , pause at the sternum..then " snap " the bar up...your elbows will naturally rotate back out - Also it is important that you have your traps dug into the bench, and your shoulder blade pulled together, with a bit of an exaggerated arch in your lower back...keep your butt down through the lift , make sure you tension your core/legs, push the heels down.

Bodybuilding you are going for higher reps to OL the type2, and " pump " muscles with glycon.Also the lifting style causing a huge load ( overload ) on the poorly supported posterior deltoid and outer pect due to no support if NOT coming down to the sternum, AND having the elbows out higher towards your shoulders. This will cause a huge load on the elbows

Incline bench engages 85% of the posterior delt, very little of the upper pec...try " Reverse Grip bench press on the flat bench instead , you will see rapid gains if your intent is to isolate the upper pec , while not blowing your shoulders out you will need to lift up at a 45 degree angle and have your hands very wide for this movement

I haven't seen your lifting form so I cannot do anything but guess what could cause the elbow pain

Hope this helps,

Wow should've read first. So I typically bench PL style but yesterday did standard bench wide grip, interestingly, I had tendonitis in my left arm. Wow. I will stick with PL bench for heavier lifting and do less for standard press. This was helpful.

So no one recommends joint supps?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Assuming good nutrition, there is no joint supplement that is known to do anything positive. One study supports, another doesn't. There's a good chance supplements of that nature are a waste of money.

Take a deload if you are having joint pain. And form is always important. If it doesn't improve, see a doctor.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Assuming good nutrition, there is no joint supplement that is known to do anything positive. One study supports, another doesn't. There's a good chance supplements of that nature are a waste of money.

Take a deload if you are having joint pain. And form is always important. If it doesn't improve, see a doctor.

Here's my take on joint sups: No data to support them. But by God, when I was having knee pain, I took some Glucosamine and I'll be damned if my pain didn't go away. So, was it the supp, or the placebo effect? I have no idea.

Agree on the deload for pain. Also RICE. (Rest Ice Compress Elevate) Elbow pain does sound like tendonitis... easy to get if you're lifting too much too soon. Give yourself a chance to rest and heal, then ease back into the weight.

It's not a race. You'll be better off in a year if you deload now and keep lifting, than if you have to take a month or two off because you trashed your elbow.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    A few things that helped me when my elbows/forearms felt beat up was doing high rep curls with low weight (like an empty barbell).

Get good fats, plenty of rest, etc.

If it starts preventing you from training, look into buying some blue heat or equiblock liniment to rub on the problem area. I've had to use it for my hips, shoulders, knees, etc. Better than not training.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    Options
    Not sure if OP is still following, but I corrected my grip and no more elbow pain. I had gone too wide on the bench. It was also pointed out to me that while doing Stronglifts (nothing but compound/heavy loads) it makes sense I would experience some sort of joint discomfort initially. I've never worked out like this before and on 3rd week.

Anyway, lots of good advice on here. Won't be blowing money except on some icy/hot maybe :wink:
  • tacticalG
    Options
    Foam roll your elbow/forearms pre/post workout
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Hope this helps,

Interesting post.

Im new back to the gym after 20+ years away. Just completing my 3rd week & when im benching I experience a little discomfort in my left elbow.
    I suppose Ive been doing the bodybuilding style with a wide grip. Im going to try a comparison tomorrow with the powerlifting style & see how that feels.

I suffer from all kinds of joins aching & my Dr informed me I now have arthritis. People kept telling me to take Cod liver oil tablets for my joints. Ive tried but never stuck with em long enough to decide if they were effective.

The biggest thing Ive found that helps is warmth/heat. As soon as I start getting cold everything starts aching like a *kitten*. Crank up the heat or its a warm sunny day, its all golden again.

I hope you find something that works for you.
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    Entirely from personal experience, I looked at some of the ingredients in joint supplements and did a little research and found what works for me.

Fish oils (take like 4-5 per day)
    Glucosamine-Chondroitin (500/400mg) supplement
    Picked them both up at Costco for about $30 collectively (less than one bottle of Allflex)

My biggest issues were snapping/cracking elbows, wrists, knees and ankles from lifting so heavy and with such intensity when I got into more Olympic style stuff. Started to work in about a week or so
  • JeremyBenn
    Options
    After awhile lifting heavy starts to suck. It's always my left elbow that has pain. Suggestions on supplements or gear? I recently started wearing a sleeve and that helps some.

You say ur elbow? id look into some Active release, i had the same issue and it stemed from tightness in my forearms the muscle tightness was causing the tendons at the attachment points in my elbows to be tight. had my forearms workeed on and all has been good
  • JeremyBenn
    Options
    Hi,

Hope this helps,

Wow should've read first. So I typically bench PL style but yesterday did standard bench wide grip, interestingly, I had tendonitis in my left arm. Wow. I will stick with PL bench for heavier lifting and do less for standard press. This was helpful.

i use Beverly internationals joint supplemnent, it helps but you have to use a constent dose of it daily. Efas have helped and adding fats into my diet for calories and reducuing carbs at certain points in the day. we all know carbs cause inflamation to a certain degree. efas fight inflamation but you dont wanna overdue it, u need some inflamation for growth and recovery