Keeping Motivated?

Options
I'm the kind of person that needs instant results in order to keep moving forward. I have been a member of the gym for almost a year now and have taken off 10 pounds total. I really struggle with portion sizes and making the right choices. This is one area in my life that I am really trying to focus on.

How does everyone keep motivated when there are no results, by your own fault or not

Replies

• Maqui04
    Maqui04 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    MFP keeps me motivated also im graduation is in November and i want to look good in pictures plus im a very positive person and i see my results maybe you dont see it because you see yourself everyday it happens to me too sometimes
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I lose motivation too when I'm not seeing fast results. I find leaving a positive message on my fridge helpful and also reading success stories & learning about how others have reached their goals to be helpful. I recently uploaded a new photo onto my phone of me & I plan to take a new pic every week so I can (hopefully) see results. Don't forget to reward yourself. Even if you were successful with a change in your diet for a week, why not splurge on a little gift for yourself. Whatever is holding you back, you have to take look at it and learn from it. Success will happen with small steps.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I just put it on "auto pilot" and keep on keepin' on! I've been at it for almost 2 years. And I must admit that I stalled several times, mostly mental (the last stallout lasted about 5 months). Guess I just got tired of the daily grind. But even though I was tired and/or discouraged, I still logged my food and I continued to log in MFP. Now I'm back! Just don't quit! If you don't quit, you don't have to start over again!
  • ceciljacobs
    ceciljacobs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    this is something I really struggle with too! I try and focus of the behavior as a goal not the weight, I use a star chart and give myself shiny stars for exercising, so weird but super reinforcing.
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Been at this for just over a year now and have had a few periods lasting a couple of months where I just needed a break. However, I use comparison pictures to keep me motivated. I use small goals that are achievable, like 5 lbs a month or so, which helps me keep on task because once I reach that goal, my motivation spikes! And all the little goals will quickly add up to a bigger goal (ie. 50 lb mark which I am 8 lbs away from!). I also don't limit myself. Right now I am finding that having a less healthy meal or treat on Saturday is working but when I first started, I would eat a little chocolate here, some pop there, so as to not binge. And I still managed to lose weight! It is all about moderation and making sure that healthy foods are being ate more than junk food. And exercise! I started by just walking. All these little things really make a difference because you don't get discouraged as fast, or at least I never! Hope something I said helps you :)
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    I am a results-driven girl, too. I log in here every single day and if I am having a day when I am disappointed, I head to the success stories board and start reading. I had many weeks in a row with almost no change and was fortunate to have a supportive member reach out to me and offer advice. I often look to those on here who have been successful and read open diaries to take that as a guide to success. I am more convinced every day that I was doing quite a few small things wrong (which added up to a lot of wrong) and advice from others has helped me change. I'm pretty sure I'll have a successful weigh in tomorrow.
    So, I guess what I am saying is reach out on the boards and get motivation from the successful people on here.

Good luck and let me know if I can help!

-jen